IGNORED

Frankie Fielding...

Slippin cider

23 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Never ceases to make the old nerves jangle when he plays balls out to the back four with the opposition in very close proximity...also comes way off his line ..almost to the half way line sometimes...stay between the sticks old son .

Also waits until the last possible milli-second before clearing the ball with opposition bearing down on him.

Certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Frankie is a great character and having him around the squad is very positive.

Is he a competent keeper ? 

Yes .

Can we get better than Frankie ? 

I would say yes again .

I agree with those who say he does n't inspire confidence. Since his debut we've seen he is always liable to have a mistake in him and does n't have that air of calm confidence that top keepers have .

However , he's the guy in the boss seat and he'll get my full support .

I agree with you that we could probably get someone better, but he's an average championship keeper at an average championship club. I would definitely say it's a position we need to improve on over the next couple of years though. 

The point about him being liable to making mistakes, and many others saying they get the jitters with him in goal is a strange one for me. That Bradford game he did let us down, but since then I only really remember two mistakes (Rotherham away where he carried the ball outside the box, and Sheffield Wednesday away first game last season) which isn't bad for a keeper in 3/4 years! 

20 hours ago, cynic said:

Frank is a decent bloke who you cannot fail to like. 

He's obviously a very good goal keeper as well - he must be or he wouldn't be playing at this level.

But his decision making (like punching the ball yesterday when it was easier to catch it, or rolling the ball to a player who had two opponents in very close proximity) is suspect and doesn't match his overall goal keeping.

His distribution is abysmal (the worst I've seen from a City goal keeper) and his persistence in kicking long at every opportunity straight to the opposition is lower league stuff.

Sorry, its unpopular, but although I love the bloke, he's not as safe as ROD imo.

His distribution surely can t be worse than James'

I have high hopes that Lucic will be the new Cashley, and thus Premiership standard.

Sorry, present two are adequate for this division but nothing more 

Believe within 18 months Lucic first choice with Max on the bench

27 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Sorry but a clean sheet doesn't mean anything. He was a liability. Doesn't come for crosses rubbish kicker and couldn't or wouldn't catch a routine ball. He was fantastic against Derby and is a terrific shot stopper. We do though need a proper goalie who can do the lot.

Any suggestions?

Is that your overall opinion of him?  Can't work out whether you think Saturday was just an off day, or whether Derby was a fluke performance?  I think he's decent enough at this level without being top drawer like Bialkowski, Stockdale etc.

There were more priority positions to fill over the summer.

Dont get me wrong, if a better keeper became available at the right price, wages, age, DNA etc, then we should look in that direction, although there is a good feel that Lucic might emerge as he gets used to English football.  Didn't do himself any harm v Fulham.  Would be a fantastic coup if so.  Both FF and ROD aren't even at their peak age-wise, and both are fairly experienced.  There are numerous keepers of similar ages who've played very few first team matches, and happy to sit on the bench, un-tried.  We've got two who are pretty much on a par, and I'm fairly happy with that.

Our centre backs know that with Frank he stays put most of the time on crosses, so they know to attack it, with Rich, they know he's more likely to come, so clear the way for him.  So, different in approaches, but both have done a decent job for us.  I don't think 'liability' is fair....bar Flint's dodgy header, he'd have 4 clean sheets in 7, since his return.  Has only conceded 5 in those 7 too.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Any suggestions?

Is that your overall opinion of him?  Can't work out whether you think Saturday was just an off day, or whether Derby was a fluke performance?  I think he's decent enough at this level without being top drawer like Bialkowski, Stockdale etc.

Dont get me wrong, if a better keeper became available at the right price, wages, age, DNA etc, then we should look in that direction, although there is a good feel that Lucic might emerge as he gets used to English football.  Didn't do himself any harm v Fulham.  Would be a fantastic coup if so.  Both FF and ROD aren't even at their peak age-wise, and both are fairly experienced.  There are numerous keepers of similar ages who've played very few first team matches, and happy to sit on the bench, un-tried.  We've got two who are pretty much on a par, and I'm fairly happy with that.

Our centre backs know that with Frank he stays put most of the time on crosses, so they know to attack it, with Rich, they know he's more likely to come, so clear the way for him.  So, different in approaches, but both have done a decent job for us.  I don't think 'liability' is fair....bar Flint's dodgy header, he'd have 4 clean sheets in 7, since his return.  Has only conceded 5 in those 7 too.

No suggestions.

My overall impression of Frank is that generally he is a brilliant shot stopper is often very poor with the ball at his feet and is permanently a liability when the ball is crossed into our box. You cannot guarantee our centre backs wil always handle crosses. He appears a good lad. I just feel we can do better.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Any suggestions?

Hell of a shot stopper(I believe one the best in the country) shit in every other department. 

Frankie's main plus over ROD is that he doesn't panic under pressure whereas ROD does (as seen at Wednesday and the Wolves away game last season). Frankie can't always catch crosses because of his lack of height but his punching's pretty good, in some ways he reminds me of Basso, makes the occasional howler but then can just carry on as if it never happened.

It really annoys me when people say "hes a good shot stopper"... Hes  a professional goalkeeper- that is the primary role of his job and if he wasn't a good shot stopper then they wouldn't be a professional goalkeeper.

It's the other elements that set a good goalkeeper apart from the rest. Commanding their box, distribution, organising the defence, how quick they read the game and come off their line etc

I think we have two decent goalkeepers at this level. 

A big plus is that both Frankie and ROD know that even when they are in the first team their spot is under pressure. ROD made a couple of mistakes and he was dropped - Frankie will know that if he makes mistakes he will be back on the bench. Great competition for them both!

6 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

It really annoys me when people say "hes a good shot stopper"... Hes  a professional goalkeeper- that is the primary role of his job and if he wasn't a good shot stopper then they wouldn't be a professional goalkeeper.

It's the other elements that set a good goalkeeper apart from the rest. Commanding their box, distribution, organising the defence, how quick they read the game and come off their line etc

A big plus is that both Frankie and ROD know that even when they are in the first team their spot is under pressure. ROD made a couple of mistakes and he was dropped - Frankie will know that if he makes mistakes he will be back on the bench. Great competition for them both!

Yep, agree.  He's far from 'shit' at everything else.  There are a lot worse than our two in this division.

22 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

It's surprising how many keepers aren't though. Mignolet at Liverpool is one, if there's a shot on target it pretty much has a 50/50 chance of going in!

57 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

It's surprising how many keepers aren't though. Mignolet at Liverpool is one, if there's a shot on target it pretty much has a 50/50 chance of going in!

Hmmmm... You may have a point.

Mignolet was considered a "great shot stopper" when at Sunderland.... but he does appear to have lost the ability to catch a ball since arriving at Anfield. Hence why he is no longer consider Liverpool's number 1 goalkeeper.

14 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Hmmmm... You may have a point.

Mignolet was considered a "great shot stopper" when at Sunderland.... but he does appear to have lost the ability to catch a ball since arriving at Anfield. Hence why he is no longer consider Liverpool's number 1 goalkeeper.

I do see what you mean, it should go without saying that professional goalkeepers are good shot stoppers.

23 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Sorry but a clean sheet doesn't mean anything. He was a liability. Doesn't come for crosses rubbish kicker and couldn't or wouldn't catch a routine ball. He was fantastic against Derby and is a terrific shot stopper. We do though need a proper goalie who can do the lot.

ummm a clean sheet means everything for a keeper, his main job is to keep the ball out of the net not to play quick flowing football or put in crunching tackles, 

he's so much of a liability i mean he only helped win the Johnson paint got us promoted and got the most clean sheets out of the two keepers we have on the books........ truely shocking

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Don't think ROD done anything last night to force himself back into the first team.

only seen the goals on the tele but the second was really poor defending, the first however he should of been tighter to the near post,

Archived