IGNORED

How To Stop Time Wasting

Welcome To The Jungle

12 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Completely missed that right in front of me then....!

Just highlights again how bad a job Ian Downs does if it takes him almost a minute to announce it!

Just in the interest of fairness, I think it's @Tim S who does the "match announcements" - added time, substitutions, goals etc with Downsy doing the "event presentation" announcements - birthdays, mascots etc.

18 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

One I've noticed creeping in is the 'non head injury' time waste. As the ref has to stop the play for a head injury only Ive noticed players pretending there injury is actually a head one.

The referee can still stop play when there is a 'serious' ( i.e. Suspected broken leg etc) injury. It needn't just be a head injury.

This all falls under the referees 'discretion' bit.

What niggles and alarms me is the way all forms of cheating are seemingly coached in from a very early age. I watched an otherwise excellent FA Youth Cup game last week. The visitors (I'll not name them but I expect you can work it out) took the lead right on half time. They spent the whole of the second half wasting time at every opportunity : 

taking aeons over every restart

taking quick throw ins when not their ball

keeper falling over

General chit chat to the officials

even dragging an injured player back onto the field of play

But as soon as they went behind in extra time they remembered to do things quickly.

These are 17/18 year olds who see this sort of cr*p on the box and have coaches who are too spineless (or too indoctrinated in the same cheating ways) to stop them doing it.

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yeah, but I bet you'd love it if we're winning 1-0 in the 92nd minute against Hull and Frankie does it...

That's the great thing about time-wasting - people only decry it when it's the opposition who are doing it.  Rather like spying if you ask me: a serious criminal offence if done against you, but heroic if done by you...

Time wasting in stoppage time for a team winning is part and parcel of football.  My annoyance is most teams have wasted time at Ashton Gate this season from the very first minute. We don't do that not even at away games. We try to play football the honest way.

13 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Time wasting in stoppage time for a team winning is part and parcel of football.  My annoyance is most teams have wasted time at Ashton Gate this season from the very first minute. We don't do that not even at away games. We try to play football the honest way.

Maybe if we had we would have come away with something from Cardiff and QPR...;)

Sniper in the West Stand Upper Tier.

First time the players wastes time:  shoot the ball.  If he's holding the ball whilst taking a throw-in, it will at least make us all laugh.

Second time: shoot his balls.

Players will get a respect for the game soon enough.

On 24/10/2016 at 02:15, JasonM88 said:

No it's not, it's stopped when there is any recognisable breaks in play, TMO, Scrum Prep, Lineout Prep, conversations with captains from the refs, etc

Here we go again! TMO yes, but the game is always stopped at that time anyway. 

But not for the other ones, why would it get stopped for lineouts when a lot of teams throw the ball straight back into play without waiting for a line out to be formed. As for scrums, no chance, it's the most infuriating thing about rugby that the clock doesn't get stopped. So much time is wasted at scrums it's unreal.

Time wasting in football is one of the worst things about the game.

I still get angry thinking about the 1-1 draw with Rotherham when Greg Halford had a neck brace and a stretcher off the pitch after 10 minutes on the floor, only to stand up, jog back on and play the rest of the game unhurt.

I felt like writing to the football league to make a claim for a refund after that stupidity.

I'm paying to watch football not amateur dramatics.

On 23/10/2016 at 17:41, handsofclay said:

When a team is time wasting they make a substitution and get word to the player that will be subbed so he goes as far away as possible so when his number is up he can leave the pitch at snail's pace and have a heck of a lot of pitch to leave at that pace. It should be a rule that every substitution, except by a losing team, should be timed and DOUBLE the amount of that time will be added. Result, players to be subbed will be off the pitch in a nano second and uneccessary substitutions will be a thing of the past.

Even simpler. The player being subbed (the subbee) should cross the nearest touchline and the replacement should come on immediately. The subbee can then stroll round the pitch at his leisure.

44 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Even simpler. The player being subbed (the subbee) should cross the nearest touchline and the replacement should come on immediately. The subbee can then stroll round the pitch at his leisure.

Could result in issues for linesmen (no, I will never rename) seeing a shirt on the far side and giving an offside?

To address this, I'd have the subbee crossing the nearest touchline, and the person coming on (the subber) run over to the subbee with a neutral top.  When the neutral top is on, the subber can enter the area of play.

On 24/10/2016 at 07:01, CiderCraig said:

The one that gets my goat (it's a euphemism, I don't have a goat) is when 'keepers catch the ball and then fall on the ground holding the ball below their chest/chin... Oh so blatant but never gets picked up.

*please note, no goats were harmed in the posting of this comment.

why don't you ask for a goat for Christmas?

just remember a goat is not just for Christmas day if you are careful it will do boxing day as well.

Archived