IGNORED

How To Stop Time Wasting

Welcome To The Jungle

I was thinking last Friday as Cardiff were taking half an hour to take their latest throw in just what could be done to stop this. Of course the referee adding on all the added time and dishing out yellows for prolonged goal kicks is fine but it does not eradicate the fact that it sucks all the momentum and life out of a game. After all we've all seen Keepers time wasting by literally waiting for the referee to book them as they don't care.

What would work however would be if the referee had the power to reverse the possession, as well as dish out cards and add up all the wasted time. For example, if a keeper takes too long to take his goal kick, not only is he booked, but he also concedes a corner. If a throw in is taking too long, the other team gets the throw. The only condition I'd have is that the referee cannot award a penalty kick for a reversed free kick. But instead have a free kick in line, out side the box. Teams would hurry up if the threat of a corner loomed over them when they have the opportunity to lump it. 

Yesterday was ridiculous and I was surprised at only 4 minutes at the end. But why should the side who have been time wasting, have the opportunity at the end to get all the time back they have wasted when they are finding themselves losing and now suddenly want to hurry it up.

Personally I would like them to have the discretion to take it away at the end from the team who has basically taken the mickey who then need it. Would have been great if the board went up with 1 minute.

3 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Yesterday was ridiculous and I was surprised at only 4 minutes at the end. But why should the side who have been time wasting, have the opportunity at the end to get all the time back they have wasted when they are finding themselves losing and now suddenly want to hurry it up.

Personally I would like them to have the discretion to take it away at the end from the team who has basically taken the mickey who then need it. Would have been great if the board went up with 1 minute.

Especially as DW was down for about 2 mins then there were lots of subs. We have been guilty of it many times this season, part of football I'm afraid.

What made me laugh yesterday was that we were given a free kick a couple of minutes after the goal, half way in their half, and Blackburn took a good 30 seconds or so at least to get the ball back to us.

They had obviously gotten so used to time wasting they forgot they were losing!!!

17 minutes ago, wood_red said:

That's exactly what my son said yesterday, why should they be given extra time when they were time wasting throughout the game. 

7 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Don't kid yourselves that we don't do it, if we're 1-0 up against Hull on Tuesday night with 30 mins to go, does anyone believe we will rush goal kicks, throw ins etc!

I don't believe we can reallly say too much when we do the same!

But that doesn't mean that we should not be concerned about the continual abuse of playing time that could easily be stamped upon by referees if they enforced the six second rule for keepers to hold the ball, and dished out some yellow cards from the first minute of the game for blatant time wasting. Nobody want this cancer in the beautiful game and refs have the power to stop it

20 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Maybe there's an argument for the timekeepers to literally time the game - the clock stops when the ball goes out of play or there is a dead ball and restarts when the set piece is taken.  Then the whistle goes on 45 minutes of open play.  Wouldn't that be fairer and make it harder to dispute?

What`s coming through this thread is the injustice of a team time wasting from half time onwards only to go a goal down late on and then get the benefit of the added on time so the officials need to have the authority to `adjust` the time added on to take account of that. You couldn`t really make a rule on it but if the refs are told that they won`t be criticized or marked down for it by the assessor that would do it I think. If everyone knew that could happen perhaps sides wouldn`t do so much of it early on.

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Maybe there's an argument for the timekeepers to literally time the game - the clock stops when the ball goes out of play or there is a dead ball and restarts when the set piece is taken.  Then the whistle goes on 45 minutes of open play.  Wouldn't that be fairer and make it harder to dispute?

The problem with that is the ball spends about 20 mins at least 'dead' every game be it corners, throws, free kicks etc. It would mean way too much added time every game.

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

The FA  can have rules for every event. They just need to train all the referees to interpret them the same way and not be influenced by the "big team" factor or an appearance on tv!

They could train the referees to recognise obvious time wasting for sure but I think it would need to be throughout the entire leagues as it happens at all levels. 

Should they do that then the referees should make it more obvious that they've stopped the clock by holding up the wrist and visibly doing it. That would hopefully discourage the players from doing it.

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Great idea LB. It happens in rugby so why not football?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They could train the referees to recognise obvious time wasting for sure but I think it would need to be throughout the entire leagues as it happens at all levels. 

Should they do that then the referees should make it more obvious that they've stopped the clock by holding up the wrist and visibly doing it. That would hopefully discourage the players from doing it.

I agree it should be universal.

(and an unofficial warning be given to refs who appear to be more lenient to one side than the other. This may already happen as it must be obvious to any assessor present. Or are the assessments done by other referees?).

Another thing is players taking the ball with them when they have conceded a free kick. How is that different from kicking or throwing the ball away. Oh and players taking an age with a throw in only to then ask a team mate to take it instead. Oh yes and shielding the ball out for a goal kick. Surely that is obstruction. Sorry, I'm getting annoyed now and I'm not even at the game.!!

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

This would be best if the actual playing time left was visible to players and fans, as in rugger, but as has been said, some games would last for 2 hours.

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

But that doesn't mean that we should not be concerned about the continual abuse of playing time that could easily be stamped upon by referees if they enforced the six second rule for keepers to hold the ball, and dished out some yellow cards from the first minute of the game for blatant time wasting. Nobody want this cancer in the beautiful game and refs have the power to stop it

I know exactly where your coming from, but at the same time I can clearly hear thousands of fans in the stands ( millions on tv) moaning about the referee being petty and picky. If referees were to really enforce the current laws of the game, then we would probably end up with 7 v 7.

Referees are given a certain amount of discretion in decision making and the balance is probably just about right. 

When a team is time wasting they make a substitution and get word to the player that will be subbed so he goes as far away as possible so when his number is up he can leave the pitch at snail's pace and have a heck of a lot of pitch to leave at that pace. It should be a rule that every substitution, except by a losing team, should be timed and DOUBLE the amount of that time will be added. Result, players to be subbed will be off the pitch in a nano second and uneccessary substitutions will be a thing of the past.

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They don't need training, they do it now. It's what's called added time. 

Players will find a way to cheat and waste time whatever happens, 

If referees clamp down 100% then you and everyone else would accuse them of being pedantic and spoiling the game. The best referees are the ones that you don't remember, let them just referee.

8 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

When a team is time wasting they make a substitution and get word to the player that will be subbed so he goes as far away as possible so when his number is up he can leave the pitch at snail's pace and have a heck of a lot of pitch to leave at that pace. It should be a rule that every substitution, except by a losing team, should be timed and DOUBLE the amount of that time will be added. Result, players to be subbed will be off the pitch in a nano second and uneccessary substitutions will be a thing of the past.

The referee will need about 6 different stop watches at this rate!

23 minutes ago, marmite said:

This would be best if the actual playing time left was visible to players and fans, as in rugger, but as has been said, some games would last for 2 hours.

In rugby matches its common for there to be only about 35 minutes of actual play during the 80 minutes the game lasts. 

Scrums are the worst, from the time a scrum is called and set 2-3 times it can waste up to 6-7 minutes when absolutely nothing is happening, line outs the same.

The only time the clock gets stoped is for serious injuries.

Although some radical ideas are being suggested here, once an idea works it soon becomes absorbed by the game and supporters and players alike accept it as the norm so much so that when confronted by the pre change aspect of the game it can seem almost shocking that such an anomaly was allowed to go unchecked for so long.

To illustrate my point, I was watching the Brian Clough documentary on BT Sport recently and in the European tie between Liverpool and Forest, Forest were awarded a penalty when Phil Thompson brought John O Hare down just outside the penalty area. O Hare would have been through on goal otherwise. After the match Liverpool complained vociferously about how hard done by they were because it was clearly outside the box. Thompson even said that he is a pro and he deliberately brought O Hare down outside the area to prevent him having a free pop at goal and deliberately did so outside the area so as not to give away a pen. Hearing it now, with decades behind us of red cards for professional fouls etc it sounded shocking that a player was actually condoning the professional foul and feeling that his team had been hard done by! Now we are used to this form of cheating being adequately punished and it goes on a lot less to the benefit of the game.

28 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

The simple remedy for this is that the player being subbed has to leave the pitch from the closest touchline to him and not walk all the way back to the dugout.

14 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The referee will need about 6 different stop watches at this rate!

It might be possible to design a watch which has six different time counters operated by six different buttons. As long as the ref is intelligent enough to never press the wrong button it should work without any hitches.

Perhaps this might not work so the ref can have a watch with two time counters and the ref's assistants can have one stopwatch each and the 4th official can have another watch with two time counters. 

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

The simple remedy for this is that the player being subbed has to leave the pitch from the closest touchline to him and not walk all the way back to the dugout.

But then the ref would need one less stopwatch and I would have been wasting time writing my suggestion.

Actually, your idea is a very good one except I fear the player to be subbed will make sure he gets the news while standing on the centre spot and will then make out he is indecisive by nature and keep changing his mind about which touchline he will be heading for.

Archived