IGNORED

How to defend a corner?

WECANDO

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw our players get into positions to defend corners last night (Also previous games). Our best aerial players, Flint, Moore and Pack all congregated around the penalty spot or close to our goal. Where were their threatening players? About 15 foot away getting ready to make runs to meet the corner kick coming over. So who do you put your money on to win the ball in the air. Maguire, Dawson and Davies running into meet the ball or our three rooted to the spot trying to jump upwards? Reverse the situation and Hull's defenders are tight on our big headers and prepared to block their runs. It also concerns me that our right back tucks in so close to the centre backs thereby leaving the opponents wide player bags of room to get the ball. Luckily the Blackburn player was slow and couldn't make use of the space. The Hull player did. That said, I was very encouraged by the performances of Engvall and Moore. Both pushing hard to start games. 

Zonal marking. 

I don't like it. I don't know why anybody thinks it's better than man to man marking, at set pieces. 

Mind you, if Joey had made a header and Pack hadn't been so flat footed, then both goals could/should have been stopped. 

11 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw our players get into positions to defend corners last night (Also previous games). Our best aerial players, Flint, Moore and Pack all congregated around the penalty spot or close to our goal. Where were their threatening players? About 15 foot away getting ready to make runs to meet the corner kick coming over. So who do you put your money on to win the ball in the air. Maguire, Dawson and Davies running into meet the ball or our three rooted to the spot trying to jump upwards? Reverse the situation and Hull's defenders are tight on our big headers and prepared to block their runs. It also concerns me that our right back tucks in so close to the centre backs thereby leaving the opponents wide player bags of room to get the ball. Luckily the Blackburn player was slow and couldn't make use of the space. The Hull player did. That said, I was very encouraged by the performances of Engvall and Moore. Both pushing hard to start games. 

Full backs-one on each post-known danger men,someone to pick up their run and at the very least get in a challenge strong enough to make a goalscoring header unlikely-even if you don't get yer head to the ball.

I think refs have been told to keep an eye on pushing and pulling at corners, so I expect to see more teams try to use zonal marking at corners.

There are arguments for it, Benitez used it at Liverpool, for example (who were twice best at defending set pieces in the premier league per season). It also can be useful (when properly executed, unlike us) if like us we have quite a few players on the smaller side.

It's difficult to get right though and requires a lot of practice before it can be used effectively. Unfortunately for us we didn't do that.

I was trying to decide earlier whether it's true/reasonable to say it's impossible to score from a corner unless the defensive team makes a mistake.  Certainly I can't imagine Johnson'll be happy with the defending for either goal last night. 

I do think a bit too much gets made of the zonal vs man-to-man marking debate.  Ultimately what's important is not which system is used but whether the defending team understand and feel comfortable with it. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I was trying to decide earlier whether it's true/reasonable to say it's impossible to score from a corner unless the defensive team makes a mistake.  Certainly I can't imagine Johnson'll be happy with the defending for either goal last night. 

I do think a bit too much gets made of the zonal vs man-to-man marking debate.  Ultimately what's important is not which system is used but whether the defending team understand and feel comfortable with it. 

Oddly enough, Johnson said he wasn't unhappy, as "Hull always have a big team". He didn't mention that McGuire's goal was his first for Hull, so they are hardly scoring from corners every week.

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Zonal marking can be very effective as long as the defenders know how it works. To get accustomed to it then it needs to be practiced on the training  ground over and over so that it becomes an instinctive and natural way to defend set plays.

The small team thing is nonsense. One of our biggest weaknesses is not just zonal marking but also not attacking the ball. Pack (6' 2") is very guilty of this. Last night he did not attack the ball that Dawson (6' 2") did. Exactly the same for the Sheffield Wednesday corner goal. Go back further and you will see that he is a repeat offender in this regard. He simply does not get off the ground and attack the ball !

2 hours ago, Fatalist said:

Oddly enough, Johnson said he wasn't unhappy, as "Hull always have a big team". He didn't mention that McGuire's goal was his first for Hull, so they are hardly scoring from corners every week.

I was a really poor goal to give away,none of our defenders were any where near him.As for R.O.D he just stood there like a madam tussouds waxwork,made no effort to save at all.

Alan Dicks. I believe City did that later in the game. Someone running and jumping will always get up higher than someone standing still and then jumping. It's easy to block the opposing teams runs if your stood by them. That's what Hull did to City. Pack doesn't seem to be getting so much height these days. Can't get over how good Wilbs is. He was pretty sluggish in towards the end of Cotterells time but now he's aggressive and gets around. Had a good game against Hull. 

4 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Call me old fashioned but I like man marking in the box with two fullbacks on either stick

It's not old fashioned, it's correct.  Leave a short quick player up front so they keep two back, one on each post, and with the taker you have enough for man marking for the rest of them.  Doing it any other way is plain wrong and modern coaches are guilty of over thinking this.

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Zonal marking. 

I don't like it. I don't know why anybody thinks it's better than man to man marking, at set pieces. 

Mind you, if Joey had made a header and Pack hadn't been so flat footed, then both goals could/should have been stopped. 

Pretty sure when done right zonal is far more effective- didn't the Arsenal "Invincibles" team use zonal marking?

If the linesman or referee were competent the first goal wouldn't have counted regardless.

10 hours ago, Nibor said:

It's not old fashioned, it's correct.  Leave a short quick player up front so they keep two back, one on each post, and with the taker you have enough for man marking for the rest of them.  Doing it any other way is plain wrong and modern coaches are guilty of over thinking this.

Sorry mate I disagree, if you're so ******* good at making these decisions why are you not getting paid thousands a week. Obviously it's not the best way to defend corners or the likes of Mourinho and Pep would do it. So rarely are corners defended like that anymore and there's a reason for that.

10 hours ago, Nibor said:

I don't know how you can so confidently say that with your chest

I have to admit to be firmly in the camp that prefers man to man marking over zonal marking. While I wouldn't disagree that either can be effective when working well, the zonal system provides for a more likely mismatch in the penalty area than the dedicated man to man system. I note that most football pundits are now decrying the fall in standards of defending across the major European leagues, which they seem to be laying at the door of the rigid desire for centre backs (some best described as lumbering) to bring the ball out of defence, and zonal marking.

Archived