IGNORED

Brighton

Top Robin

Brighton are good but dont think they score next game. Now they are up in the Clouds, we will bring them down. Think its the right time to meet them. Away they dont score so many and in front of cameras we are good. Think we have a good chanse, they are not Barca. We have Tomlin, Tammy and others who can find the net. Im optimistic. COYR!!!

I really hope I'm wrong but I have a horrible feeling that Saturday will see us brought back down to earth about how far we have to go before we can talk about exiting the league in an upwards direction.

I'm absolutely delighted about where we are but Brighton were great last season and have only strengthened. Murray, Knockaert and Co. will take some containing. I know it's our usual style to concede and then come back, but I have a feeling that if we concede first on Saturday - especially early - we could be in trouble.

So having said all that, comfortable 4-0 for the City ;) 

35 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

If, or rather when, Brighton finally achieve promotion I can really see them becoming an established premier league side a la Swansea and Southampton. We should be aiming to follow in their footsteps.

yup, good catchment area, well run club, doing things "the right way" - just hope we can become the next SwanBripton

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

yup, good catchment area, well run club, doing things "the right way" - just hope we can become the next SwanBripton

I often feel that we need to stick together with clubs like Brighton who are trying to do things the right way, a sort of `us against the world` thing.

Championship clubs like us, Preston, Barnsley, Ipswich, Brighton, Wednesday, Huddersfield and even Rotherham and Burton are all trying to be sustainable and not demand instant success. None of us have mad foreign owners or sack managers as soon as the team lose two on the bounce so I think we should support each other against the rest who just chuck money at things hoping some of it will stick. We don`t have the luxury of parachute payments to bail us out if things start going a bit wrong either.

If any of the clubs mentioned above do get to the Premier League it will be down to sheer bloody effort, buying wisely and budgeting sensibly and I doubt any would end up doing a Portsmouth if they were relegated after one season.

15 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Coz I live down there and am surrounded by fickle Brighton fans who have only started supporting them because of the new stadium and recent success. They used to get tiny attendances at the Goldstone. Not true fans. 

Tbf to them, before the "tiny" crowds at the Goldstone (at a time when crowds nationally were at a post war low) they had some very big crowds, in the mid to late 70s when they went from Third to First in 3 seasons.

Their crowds were similar to ours in their 4 seasons at the top, a few more for their top average (24k to our 23k) but not as loyal as us when relegated (14,600 to our 18,900) so maybe you have a point with your "fickle" claim there.

Someone mentioned the 1987 5:2 game above, and when we played them here that time we had 16k (at Christmas, though) but only 8k were down there two months later for the return game. It was pouring with rain that day at the Goldstone, as I recall, but they were flying at the top and finished 2nd, whilst we finished fifth without ever being "in contention" for automatic promotion. We averaged almost 1k more than Brighton that season.

Historically, Brighton's highest average pre the Amex was about 1300 less than our highest (25,200 to our 26,500). Brighton have since topped this with 27k in 2014.

There's really very little between their support and ours, or there wasn't (allowing for all their difficulties between leaving the Goldstone and moving into the Amex) until they got themselves a fantastic, 21st century stadium, and a decent Championship team.

We have increased our support significantly this season but not to the extent Brighton have achieved with the Amex. Not yet, we might say. Whether a 30k Ashton Vale would've seen us on a par with them, we will never know and can only guess at.

2 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

While I agree with you .  we tend not to turn up in the first half for some bizarre reason.

Yeah we are due a first half. It's a bit like we are trying to stay solid, fail, then throw players forward to get back in it. 

Im very disappointed we have hardly seen the Swedish lad for what ever reason, but we are developing as a side, it's up to the manager to address the issues and let's face it they are obvious. Nevertheless I think we/he will and if we can stay close the second half of the season will be a hell of a ride. 

17 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Coz I live down there and am surrounded by fickle Brighton fans who have only started supporting them because of the new stadium and recent success. They used to get tiny attendances at the Goldstone. Not true fans. 

We used to get tiny attendances in the fourth division 

Brighton fan here.  I am expecting possibly one of the toughest games of the season at yours.  Put it this way, we've got Villa at home after our game, and I'm more confident about 3 points from that one than I am of a single point in Bristol.  Norwich was an odd game - we went to the concourse at half time scratching our heads about it.  Norwich had more of the ball without looking threatening, but we weren't all that either.  Just the one shambolic mistake between them.  Second half was a different story, and is the reason pundits are drooling all over this performance.  But Norwich were really not good enough - their pressing game didn't work (although it would have done against many sides in this league), they made mistakes, they got punished ruthlessly.  Them's the breaks.

Just a little bit of information picking up on a couple of points raised by this thread.  We are actually a better side than last season.  We haven't had a problem scoring goals since January, but in truth our success (if it comes) will be built on our stingey defence - clean sheets in 10 of the 15 matches so far.  We signed Shane Duffy from Blackburn at the beginning of the season, and most of us were baffled why we'd spent £4m on him when we felt we badly needed a striker.  It all becomes clear now - we rarely concede from set pieces these days, and that was our Achilles heel even last season.  If we have a weakness, it is up front.  We remain relatively reliant on Murray.  Hemed and Baldock are both OK but don't score anywhere near enough goals.  To be fair, and as I'm sure you know, Baldock is probably the best forward in this league off the ball (he makes some excellent, intelligent runs).  Hemed is decent enough too and rarely misses from the spot, which solved another problem we used to have.

As for the discussion on size and fickleness - I'd say there probably aren't two more similar clubs than ours - both in success and size.  We've had times of crap crowds and times of very good ones (1970s in our case).  Both clubs are historically nowhere near successful enough given the catchment areas but both are showing signs of changing all that with generous, local owners building the clubs in the right way.  I don't really care if half our crowd are Jonny Come Latelys, they need to be made to feel as welcome as anyone else if the club is to progress as we were getting 8,000 tops at Withdean.  We now have 23,000 season ticket holders, the same number as Everton.  Quite obviously, the club is doing something right, especially when you consider that number barely tailed off after the one truly shite season we've had at the Amex (under Sami Hyypia).  I'm sure you'll be hoping to do the same.

Oh and memories of that 1987 season - I was at both games as a 16 year old.  I remember thinking we might get something from that 5-2 when Paul Wood curled in our second, but Jordan had other ideas with his diving header down the other end.  And 16,058 was a HUGE crowd by the standards of those days, only Sunderland exceeded that regularly.  Funny that the return fixture almost went exactly the same way (3-0 to 3-2).   It absolutely lashed down which undoubtedly affected the size of the gate as we were expecting around 13,000 for that one rather than the 8,700 which was below our average for that season.

So anyway, enjoy the rest of the season after Saturday.

On 30/10/2016 at 08:26, reddogkev said:

Isn't that how you grow a club?  You have to attract new fans at some stage.  Terrible if the original core of supporters look at the new batch with that sort of disdain.  You could only call them fickle if they disappear at the first signs of hardship.

The way some of our season ticket holders view us 'non' holders can at best be described in a similar way,let alone a new face...you find misplaced superiority syndrome in all walks of life,i know....... 

Some of the banal,arrogant shit I was unfortunate to be placed to listen to in the Dolman v Hull was eye watering..three legends in their own bathrobes.at best.

All that "shush mate,cant you see??.quite a few non season ticket holders around tonight"...

Do me a favour.

1 hour ago, Simster said:

Brighton fan here.  I am expecting possibly one of the toughest games of the season at yours.  Put it this way, we've got Villa at home after our game, and I'm more confident about 3 points from that one than I am of a single point in Bristol.  Norwich was an odd game - we went to the concourse at half time scratching our heads about it.  Norwich had more of the ball without looking threatening, but we weren't all that either.  Just the one shambolic mistake between them.  Second half was a different story, and is the reason pundits are drooling all over this performance.  But Norwich were really not good enough - their pressing game didn't work (although it would have done against many sides in this league), they made mistakes, they got punished ruthlessly.  Them's the breaks.

Just a little bit of information picking up on a couple of points raised by this thread.  We are actually a better side than last season.  We haven't had a problem scoring goals since January, but in truth our success (if it comes) will be built on our stingey defence - clean sheets in 10 of the 15 matches so far.  We signed Shane Duffy from Blackburn at the beginning of the season, and most of us were baffled why we'd spent £4m on him when we felt we badly needed a striker.  It all becomes clear now - we rarely concede from set pieces these days, and that was our Achilles heel even last season.  If we have a weakness, it is up front.  We remain relatively reliant on Murray.  Hemed and Baldock are both OK but don't score anywhere near enough goals.  To be fair, and as I'm sure you know, Baldock is probably the best forward in this league off the ball (he makes some excellent, intelligent runs).  Hemed is decent enough too and rarely misses from the spot, which solved another problem we used to have.

As for the discussion on size and fickleness - I'd say there probably aren't two more similar clubs than ours - both in success and size.  We've had times of crap crowds and times of very good ones (1970s in our case).  Both clubs are historically nowhere near successful enough given the catchment areas but both are showing signs of changing all that with generous, local owners building the clubs in the right way.  I don't really care if half our crowd are Jonny Come Latelys, they need to be made to feel as welcome as anyone else if the club is to progress as we were getting 8,000 tops at Withdean.  We now have 23,000 season ticket holders, the same number as Everton.  Quite obviously, the club is doing something right, especially when you consider that number barely tailed off after the one truly shite season we've had at the Amex (under Sami Hyypia).  I'm sure you'll be hoping to do the same.

Oh and memories of that 1987 season - I was at both games as a 16 year old.  I remember thinking we might get something from that 5-2 when Paul Wood curled in our second, but Jordan had other ideas with his diving header down the other end.  And 16,058 was a HUGE crowd by the standards of those days, only Sunderland exceeded that regularly.  Funny that the return fixture almost went exactly the same way (3-0 to 3-2).   It absolutely lashed down which undoubtedly affected the size of the gate as we were expecting around 13,000 for that one rather than the 8,700 which was below our average for that season.

So anyway, enjoy the rest of the season after Saturday.

Great post. Really refreshing to have an opposition fan come on here clearly intent on a proper discussion and not just on the wind up!

Encouraged and flattered that you don't think our game will be easy for you. We've been competitive in every game this season (though I admit I haven't seen them all), having not lost by more than a single goal. I think your result on Saturday has scared us a bit on here, with talk of formation changes etc. Personally I think we've shown ourselves to be capable of competing with the best, if not quite beating them, so I would hope we stick to our usual game plan. In Tammy Abraham and Lee Tomlin we have players to threaten any defence in this division.

Went to the game at the Amex last season - terrific ground! Got a lot of time for your club. Agree with you about the fickleness thing - I think most of us just see it as you growing your fan base, just as we are trying to do. Nothing wrong with that.

All the best for the season...after Saturday (and the return game of course!)

On 29/10/2016 at 22:36, Top Robin said:

i live down there too, your comments a little harsh , they had good crowds before being evicted from The Goldstone, support suffered when they played at the truly awful Withdene, and even at Gillingham, but they have had a rebirth with the new ground forged through the epic fight with planning authorities to get it and a number of punts at the play offs.

They have a tight defence and fast counter attack, but if we can score first we have a great chance. Concede first and they can play the game they like. 

As to all the Sussex reds on here perhaps we could all meet in a Brighton pub for a sky match sometime, might be fun. Can not do this one as at the Lewes Bonfire, whilst cheering City on in a pub full of Seagulls

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

i live down there too, your comments a little harsh , they had good crowds before being evicted from The Goldstone, support suffered when they played at the truly awful Withdene, and even at Gillingham, but they have had a rebirth with the new ground forged through the epic fight with planning authorities to get it and a number of punts at the play offs.

They have a tight defence and fast counter attack, but if we can score first we have a great chance. Concede first and they can play the game they like. 

As to all the Sussex reds on here perhaps we could all meet in a Brighton pub for a sky match sometime, might be fun. Can not do this one as at the Lewes Bonfire, whilst cheering City on in a pub full of Seagulls

Who they putting on that this year? Boris Johnson would be my choice.

For this fixture I would play a 4-4-1-1 formation, making sure we are well drilled in keeping the two banks of four equidistant in order to negate space.

We did something similar against 'Boro at AG last season and limited their attack to few chances, whilst gradually increasing our threat throughout the game which culminated in Wes Burns' last minute winner. Oh, for a feeling like that again.

Flint and Magnusson pick themselves. I'd play Taylor Moore at right-back, due to his pace and stamina, Golbourne at left-back, with Bryan and O'Dowda at left and right midfield, respectively, Korey accompanying Gary O'Neill in the engine room, with the Human Yorkie Bar (chunky and very tasty) in the hole behind Tammy.

That formation gives you width and defensive strength, but we will need to press hard as a collective to break up Brighton's passing game.

We need our pacy players against Brighton. So we can close them down quick, get back in defence quick and break forward quick. So for me it's:-

Fielding

Matthews (If he's ok). Flint. Magnusson. Golbourne.

Patterson. O'Neil. O'Dowda

Reid. Tomlin.

Abraham.

Enkvall to come on with 20/30 mins to go to replace Tomlin. Bryan the same but for Golbourne if we need even more attacking pace. Smith/Pack/Moore etc as needed. I don't think Smith is fit enough yet and needs time to get up to speed.

We have the players to beat Brighton it's just a case of the players performing on the day and cutting out silly errors and being aware of what's happening around them on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Who they putting on that this year? Boris Johnson would be my choice.

Its aclosely guarded secret, but my guess would be Southern Rail and the union 

I am suppose to be in the parade, but expect Ill be in the pub for most of it watching the match

Interesting game for me, mad City supporter but work for Brighton with AITC. Hoping for a City win after last years drumming (was a long 3hrs back to Brighton on a Tuesday night with 2 Brighton friends!). As mentioned above meant to be in the parade at Lewes as well but if we're winning I think I may retreat to the Elle :)

Got potential to be a massive game for both at the Amex this year with it being Brighton's last home game

COYRs

15 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Great post. Really refreshing to have an opposition fan come on here clearly intent on a proper discussion and not just on the wind up!

Encouraged and flattered that you don't think our game will be easy for you. We've been competitive in every game this season (though I admit I haven't seen them all), having not lost by more than a single goal. I think your result on Saturday has scared us a bit on here, with talk of formation changes etc. Personally I think we've shown ourselves to be capable of competing with the best, if not quite beating them, so I would hope we stick to our usual game plan. In Tammy Abraham and Lee Tomlin we have players to threaten any defence in this division.

Went to the game at the Amex last season - terrific ground! Got a lot of time for your club. Agree with you about the fickleness thing - I think most of us just see it as you growing your fan base, just as we are trying to do. Nothing wrong with that.

All the best for the season...after Saturday (and the return game of course!)

Your comments on the Amex are indeed spot on.  Personally, I can't think of a better stadium in which to watch football.  There is sometimes whining about it's location and transport links, and yet when the trains are running there is nothing wrong with it at all.  People forget that getting 28,000 out of an out-of-town stadium is always going to a logistical headache compared to 8,000 in a built up area with a bit more parking.

As I said on the other thread, personally I'd take a point at Ashton Gate if offered now although none of the three possible results would surprise me here.

1 hour ago, Simster said:

Your comments on the Amex are indeed spot on.  Personally, I can't think of a better stadium in which to watch football.  There is sometimes whining about it's location and transport links, and yet when the trains are running there is nothing wrong with it at all.  People forget that getting 28,000 out of an out-of-town stadium is always going to a logistical headache compared to 8,000 in a built up area with a bit more parking.

As I said on the other thread, personally I'd take a point at Ashton Gate if offered now although none of the three possible results would surprise me here.

Sounds like we'd both be happy to shake hands and agree on a point each in advance!

Funny that you should mention a "built up area with a bit more parking" on here!  Bit of a hot topic - Ashton Gate has grown to 27k capacity yet parking options continue to dwindle as more and more areas have been made double yellows, permit holders only, etc.  And you have public transport connections we can only dream of!

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Sounds like we'd both be happy to shake hands and agree on a point each in advance!

Funny that you should mention a "built up area with a bit more parking" on here!  Bit of a hot topic - Ashton Gate has grown to 27k capacity yet parking options continue to dwindle as more and more areas have been made double yellows, permit holders only, etc.  And you have public transport connections we can only dream of!

Generally speaking, we suffer from the same thing as you (and your better-coloured cousins) when it comes to transport and stadium planning issues.  It's all because these are big cities bordered by water, thus curtailing city expansion in that direction.  And the transport situation in Brighton is almost as dire as it is in Bristol.  In both cities, it seems you can't move a mile in less than an hour.  

Where we have done alright is that we have a train station slap bang outside the ground (if you've ever been to Southampton, why they didn't build a station at St Mary's is beyond me) and also we have 3 (or 4?) park and ride locations that ferry fans to the stadium.  I presume this is something that your club is looking at?  If not, it really should be.  We also have limited local parking at the university.  The £15-20 parking cost seems expensive, but actually it merely encourages car-sharing.

Some of this is as important as the performances on the pitch if you want to keep punters coming back.  If we can pull in 27,000 a game, then so can Bristol City.  But it seems to me that the whole organisation needs to be doing its job properly.  None of this was happening back even in the early 90s when we got to what is now the Champ/Prem play-off final, yet our gates were complete pony.  The club just oozed shite amateurism back then.

3 minutes ago, Simster said:

Generally speaking, we suffer from the same thing as you (and your better-coloured cousins) when it comes to transport and stadium planning issues.  It's all because these are big cities bordered by water, thus curtailing city expansion in that direction.  And the transport situation in Brighton is almost as dire as it is in Bristol.  In both cities, it seems you can't move a mile in less than an hour.  

Where we have done alright is that we have a train station slap bang outside the ground (if you've ever been to Southampton, why they didn't build a station at St Mary's is beyond me) and also we have 3 (or 4?) park and ride locations that ferry fans to the stadium.  I presume this is something that your club is looking at?  If not, it really should be.  We also have limited local parking at the university.  The £15-20 parking cost seems expensive, but actually it merely encourages car-sharing.

Some of this is as important as the performances on the pitch if you want to keep punters coming back.  If we can pull in 27,000 a game, then so can Bristol City.  But it seems to me that the whole organisation needs to be doing its job properly.  None of this was happening back even in the early 90s when we got to what is now the Champ/Prem play-off final, yet our gates were complete pony.  The club just oozed shite amateurism back then.

There are already park and ride options but they are limited and there doesn't seem to be the cohesive, joined-up strategy that you have in place for getting fans to the stadium.  Ashton Gate train station is a possibility in the future though I'm sketchy on the details - others on here will be better able to comment.

I'm familiar with Brighton's traffic - I drove down to your game on my own last season (I was meeting friends at the ground) and decided to check out the sea front before the game, having never been to Brighton before.  I took me forever to get back to the stadium!

As for "shite amateurism", that's something we're all very familiar with here!

"check out the sea front before the game"    Absolute schoolboy error there.  :laugh:

This is going way off topic but it's quite interesting IMO:

In my opinion, the people at your club need to working to get those park and ride options all sorted out.  It is laughable in this day and age not to do that.  People like you and I who are committed fans to the clubs we support will go the extra mile regardless of the ball ache involved, but in this day and age you can't run a football club without accommodating more casual supporters.  That is probably even more important in a two-club city like yours.  It might seem laughable now, but if Rovers get their brand new stadium sorted out and the infrastructure and transport links are superior to what City are offering, it's not hard to see where casual, more neutral fans who want to watch live football might end up.

Archived