IGNORED

Right Back

old_eastender

Surely this position has to be a priority come the Jan transfer window.

Matthews seems incapable of getting himself match fit.

Little, for all his honest endeavour, is not a championship quality RB.

Neither Moore or Brownhill are right backs.

The one player we have who I think could play right back well is Korey Smith, think he played in that position earlier in his career, but we all hoped he would come back from injury and resume his role as ball winner in midfield.

Interesting point about Matthews - I felt guilty today for thinking to myself that he still wasn't fit, glad I'm not alone.

The odd thing is he plays with a poise and confidence that make you wonder if he is choosing to give players space or not attack the ball early when there is a 50-50 ball, but honestly at times I just thought he wasn't trying because he couldn't.

It wasn't a bad performance either, that's the thing with this guy, he looks casual as he does the basics well, he just doesn't seem to be going at the same speed as the game or able to give that extra 10%.

26 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Nothing to do with Matthews not being fully fit, he's simply not very good. He really wasn't good last season either but for some reason everyone was blind to his often poor performances.

Perhaps but I think his heads not in it at all, watch his body language....something's not right..

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Nothing to do with Matthews not being fully fit, he's simply not very good. He really wasn't good last season either but for some reason everyone was blind to his often poor performances.

I disagree, for me he was class last season in most of the games he played, barring wolves. 

11 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

That is not the first time he has made comments about this, I cannot see us ever signing him perm. Therefore, I would think a RB is on our radar in January, along with a striker. If Ekstrom is unable to play, and again it seems that way, and if his deal was related to fitness, then an experienced CB if available maybe on the cards too. Defence has been very poor recently, with goals coming from set pieces and from crosses coming in too easily and frequently from the flanks. We cannot keep going behind first half. I am also struggling to work out where Brownhill, O'Dowda and Patterson fit in , even if all three have ability, what is their position.

Just posted this in another thread..

Haven't seen the interview, but I've said from day one, it's Matthews attitude that needs working on, as well as his fitness and application. I really get the impression he doesn't want to be here...or playing in the Championship. He's the only player in our squad, that seems to come over as a 'Billy big bollox'.... hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but something has seemed wrong since day one this season...regardless of his injury.

Elkstrom apparently has been very ill and lost lots of weight and building himself back up...unless you've heard differently BW?

Agreed we could have defended better at crosses...but I think our defence has been pretty good this season. 7th best in the division. 4th best offensively too.

As for 'positions'...I think the players we've brought in, are all flexible, and universal and can play in many 'positions'.

LJ is a very modern forward thinking manager. He adapts teams to play in different ways constantly. Looking around Europe at different managers and the way they play, and you will notice a lot of young modern managers molding their teams this way. Hoffenheim in Germany a prime example.

Football is quickly evolving...and it's moving quicker than fans can seemingly keep up.

We get stuck with 'old fashioned' formations and tactics...and when I say 'old fashioned'...only a couple seasons ago. Football is moving that quickly in the way it's being played.

The 'Neu Skool' is taking over by force it seems.

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

Just posted this in another thread..

Haven't seen the interview, but I've said from day one, it's Matthews attitude that needs working on, as well as his fitness and application. I really get the impression he doesn't want to be here...or playing in the Championship. He's the only player in our squad, that seems to come over as a 'Billy big bollox'.... hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but something has seemed wrong since day one this season...regardless of his injury.

Elkstrom apparently has been very ill and lost lots of weight and building himself back up...unless you've heard differently BW?

Agreed we could have defended better at crosses...but I think our defence has been pretty good this season. 7th best in the division. 4th best offensively too.

As for 'positions'...I think the players we've brought in, are all flexible, and universal and can play in many 'positions'.

LJ is a very modern forward thinking manager. He adapts teams to play in different ways constantly. Looking around Europe at different managers and the way they play, and you will notice a lot of young modern managers molding their teams this way. Hoffenheim in Germany a prime example.

Football is quickly evolving...and it's moving quicker than fans can seemingly keep up.

We get stuck with 'old fashioned' formations and tactics...and when I say 'old fashioned'...only a couple seasons ago. Football is moving that quickly in the way it's being played.

The 'Neu Skool' is taking over by force it seems.

When he came to us on loan last season and did really well I imagine he thought it would be enough to put him back in contention at Sunderland.

They bought him and I think he played only a few games before becoming injured, since then hes been struggling. He is still a really young player 24 (?) and could be a great asset here if he gets fit. I believe however he sees himself as a Premier league player, and struggling to come to terms that he's here with us. Maybe he is worried he has no role to play when he returns to Sunderland at the end of the season. Personally I would love for him to shake himself down and restart his career with us, because he is class, and he is young - a 3 year deal with a player who would be one of the best RB's in this league would be great business.... but it would need for him to want to reset/restart his career aspirations a little.

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

When he came to us on loan last season and did really well I imagine he thought it would be enough to put him back in contention at Sunderland.

They bought him and I think he played only a few games before becoming injured, since then hes been struggling. He is still a really young player 24 (?) and could be a great asset here if he gets fit. I believe however he sees himself as a Premier league player, and struggling to come to terms that he's here with us. Maybe he is worried he has no role to play when he returns to Sunderland at the end of the season. Personally I would love for him to shake himself down and restart his career with us, because he is class, and he is young - a 3 year deal with a player who would be one of the best RB's in this league would be great business.... but it would need for him to want to reset/restart his career aspirations a little.

Well Sunderland look bloody awful defensively...if he can't get in that defence, then he needs, like you say, to reassess his aspirations maybe.

No good sulking and not putting 100% in. Players like that sulk around and can de detrimental to the squad.

Can understand LJ being unhappy, as it seems from what he has said, that they have done everything they can with diet and fitness regimes to get him fit. Is he the player addicted to fizzy drinks?

Would rather have Moore playing.

Mathews took a time to get up to match speed last year, when he did he was good. This year , when he eventually came he was back to lacking a preseason or at least match fitness. When he gets close , he picks up an injury and we start again. He seems the sort that takes a little longer getting up to match fitness, altough his attitude has be mentioned enough times on here to make you wonder.

I would say a right back and a striker would be on the radar, as for wingers , only if he's looking for a naturally right footed player to play on that side. We already have Freeman,Patterson and Odowda . 

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

Well Sunderland look bloody awful defensively...if he can't get in that defence, then he needs, like you say, to reassess his aspirations maybe.

No good sulking and not putting 100% in. Players like that sulk around and can de detrimental to the squad.

Can understand LJ being unhappy, as it seems from what he has said, that they have done everything they can with diet and fitness regimes to get him fit. Is he the player addicted to fizzy drinks?

Would rather have Moore playing.

I agree, but what I wouldn't give to have last seasons Matthews on the pitch. If we were also able to sign last seasons Matthews for three years, I would be happy as RB is a weak spot for us, and I do feel he can do the business for us, we just need whatever to be resolved as it does us / him / the clubs no good.

If Matthews is leaving at the end of the season, and Little let go (I really do not see him as a top championship RB)  then we need 2 good RB's, one possibly in January to bolster the squad for the rest of this season, certainly one for next season. 

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Mathews took a time to get up to match speed last year, when he did he was good. This year , when he eventually came he was back to lacking a preseason or at least match fitness. When he gets close , he picks up an injury and we start again. He seems the sort that takes a little longer getting up to match fitness, altough his attitude has be mentioned enough times on here to make you wonder.

I would say a right back and a striker would be on the radar, as for wingers , only if he's looking for a naturally right footed player to play on that side. We already have Freeman,Patterson and Odowda . 

I also don't think LJ want's to play with wingers as such, but 1 or 2 CM's with 3 or 4 fluid midfielders constantly changing positions - we do however need to drum into them that going wide is a option if there is space, as they do play to centrally at times.

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Why has everyone forgotten one of our own ....Zak?

Has he even been on the bench for any game (cup ?).

Interesting we have players listed in our full first team squad that we have not seen at all or seen very little of so far... will be interesting when everyone is up and running to see what LJ can do..

ScreenShot_20161030105415.png

ScreenShot_20161030105342.png

ScreenShot_20161030105312.png

ScreenShot_20161030105250.png

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Has he even been on the bench for any game (cup ?).

Interesting we have players listed in our full first team squad that we have not seen at all or seen very little of so far... will be interesting when everyone is up and running to see what LJ can do..

ScreenShot_20161030105415.png

ScreenShot_20161030105342.png

ScreenShot_20161030105312.png

ScreenShot_20161030105250.png

He's on loan at Accrington

51 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Plus there was the added incentive of getting in the Welsh squad for the Euros. I get the impression that he's not that interested in us anymore, but what I saw of him at QPR (?) he looked good.

8 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Both of them. 1 good, 1 bad. But if you're going to write off a player for not only 2 games, but also his first 2 games in professional football, you're a joke.

Oh I'm not it writing him off....I'm just stating fact. He wasn't good at MK, he was fortunate that the they didn't make the most of his poor positioning despite getting the chances.

And he wasn't Bad against Brighton, he was atrocious...

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Oh I'm not it writing him off....I'm just stating fact. He wasn't good at MK, he was fortunate that the they didn't make the most of his poor positioning despite getting the chances.

And he wasn't Bad against Brighton, he was atrocious...

Might as well tell him to piss off then, and the rest of the academy lads, with that attitude fella...Christ did someone shag yer missus last night...you seem on a right offensive towards our players this morning.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Might as well tell him to piss off then, and the rest of the academy lads, with that attitude fella...Christ did someone shag yer missus last night...you seem on a right offensive towards our players this morning.

Absolutely not, but everyone knows that his performance against Brighton last season was one of the worst individual performances in recent years.

Not his fault, why he was picked and LJ branded the match "a free game" is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Absolutely not, but everyone knows that his performance against Brighton last season was one of the worst individual performances in recent years.

Not his fault, why he was picked and LJ branded the match "a free game" is beyond me.

To give the kid experience and we had injuries.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

To give the kid experience and we had injuries.

Against promotion candidates and one of the best sides in the division? Mark Little was fit and benched.

Sorry but he was no where near ready, didn't start again, and is now a top Accrington. That is one that LJ did get very wrong

Archived