IGNORED

northern transport

leader

19 minutes ago, leader said:

bloody brilliant trains trams buses we have a got a lot to learn

we'll never learn/listen. I'm fed up of trying.

Never seen so much public transport than when I went to Manchester…They couldn't believe we were going to walk across the city centre. I said, "we're from Bristol, we don't have public transport"

We also didn't get squillions of central government money chucked at us the way that Manchester, Cardiff and Newcastle did to build the thing.

The perception in Whitehall is that Bristol is wealthy and undeserving of public funds.

Metrobus is a too little, too late, solution sadly.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We also didn't get squillions of central government money chucked at us the way that Manchester, Cardiff and Newcastle did to build the thing.

The perception in Whitehall is that Bristol is wealthy and undeserving of public funds.

:grr:  :shocking:  :reaper:

I despair… 

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

The council seem to be able to spend a fortune making roads more difficult to travel down. Spend it on the public transport first, FFS.

Bristolians can't really complain, they keep voting in the car hating councillors- Not that the self serving Tories in South glos are any better.

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Manchester had to get blown up by the IRA before the government chucked money at it

6 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It will never happen, but given the congested nature of Bristol, an underground railway would be the only proper solution.  I'm a country boy, but visits to London just highlight how efficient the underground is at moving people around.

Londons far flatter though.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It will never happen, but given the congested nature of Bristol, an underground railway would be the only proper solution.  I'm a country boy, but visits to London just highlight how efficient the underground is at moving people around.

Very true. every time I go up to London it just amazes me how efficient and cheap the tube is. I know many people who live up there, not necessarily in the centre but inside the North/South circulars, who don`t even own a car, they just hire one when they need them. They can get pretty much anywhere at any time on public transport. Even in areas where the tube isn`t that extensive like Hackney the bus services are top notch.

It`s one of the few things about London that I am truly jealous of.

9 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Very true. every time I go up to London it just amazes me how efficient and cheap the tube is. I know many people who live up there, not necessarily in the centre but inside the North/South circulars, who don`t even own a car, they just hire one when they need them. They can get pretty much anywhere at any time on public transport. Even in areas where the tube isn`t that extensive like Hackney the bus services are top notch.

The £11.50 a day congestion charge would stop people jumping in their cars here!

10 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I live in London, and the buses are great, usually on time and frequent plus they are cheaper than the tube. When I hear people in London complain about transport, I do suggest they live in Bristol or in the countryside, where the services are rubbish.

23 hours ago, leader said:

bloody brilliant trains trams buses we have a got a lot to learn

Not 'rocket science'-tram science....doing the business for a few years now..

Proven to; improve air quality..

Reduce congestion..

Quiet..

Reliable..

Attracts business..

Increases tourism..

Downside is initial Cost; government not keen to assist funding-buses are cheeper!!!!!

Conclusion; unavoidable short term thinking...

My mate was down from London this week, couple of days. Anyway we took a daytrip to Bath and he said and I quote "Wow I thought Southeastern was bad" This was on the train back from Bath at 5.30pm, they say trains in and around London are congested but he uses them frequently for work and he was shocked at people just standing up the corridors and how rammed it was. Also London seems to have a very extensive nightbus service- and now nighttube. We neither fit the category for poverty/industries collapsing (the North) nor being of national strategic political importance (London and the surrounding)- hence the funding is squeezed.

On 30/10/2016 at 20:57, Roger Red Hat said:

The council seem to be able to spend a fortune making roads more difficult to travel down. Spend it on the public transport first, FFS.

As a lifelong pedestrian and public transport user, I heartily agree; you'll never get motorists out of their cars until you give them a usable alternative. Old Red Trousers would have said "Get on your bike". Lets see whether we get better sense from Our Marvin.

On 31/10/2016 at 09:30, Mr Popodopolous said:

My mate was down from London this week, couple of days. Anyway we took a daytrip to Bath and he said and I quote "Wow I thought Southeastern was bad" This was on the train back from Bath at 5.30pm, they say trains in and around London are congested but he uses them frequently for work and he was shocked at people just standing up the corridors and how rammed it was. Also London seems to have a very extensive nightbus service- and now nighttube. We neither fit the category for poverty/industries collapsing (the North) nor being of national strategic political importance (London and the surrounding)- hence the funding is squeezed.

Good points, but you forgot the sop to Welsh and Scottish Nationalists.

Bradford, Sheffield & Doncaster all have their bus station alongside the train station. Something my home (Bristol) and my adopted home (P'boro') don't.

In P'oro' you cannot catch a us to the railway station, only to the bus station. You then pick up a case in one hand and a child in the other, up the steps over a bridge crossing the dual carriageway and down dome steps to reach the station approach.

On 30/10/2016 at 21:45, Barrs Court Red said:

Londons far flatter though.

This is the biggest issue with Bristol that perhaps we all forget. It's a a hilly bitch of a place. Essentially in a valley.  Places like Manchester, Sheffield have all got tram systems because most of its on the flat.  Gradient going up whiteladies?!  Although did Trams used to go up it, genuinely intrigued how they did if they did.. 

11 hours ago, 22A said:

Bradford, Sheffield & Doncaster all have their bus station alongside the train station. Something my home (Bristol) and my adopted home (P'boro') don't.

In P'oro' you cannot catch a us to the railway station, only to the bus station. You then pick up a case in one hand and a child in the other, up the steps over a bridge crossing the dual carriageway and down dome steps to reach the station approach.

We should have build the train station alongside the old original temple meads stations. We should have kept the old freight line that ran under st Mary's red cliff and would have provided a great light railway solution (spurs to centre from MShed, much better route for Portishead line, easy route for AG trains) - this for me is the biggest oversight our planners made in 70/80s when they got rid of it. 

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

This is the biggest issue with Bristol that perhaps we all forget. It's a a hilly bitch of a place. Essentially in a valley.  Places like Manchester, Sheffield have all got tram systems because most of its on the flat.  Gradient going up whiteladies?!  Although did Trams used to go up it, genuinely intrigued how they did if they did.. 

Sheffield`s not mate. It`s built on seven hills and don`t they ever bang on about it up there.

On 11/5/2016 at 20:46, 22A said:

London Victoria and Victoria Coach station are also in decent proximity- and of course the underground!

Another irony of privatisation, many train companies are owned by bus companies such as Stagecoach or the First Group.

You can go on line and book train tickets or call at the station and buy them. I called at our Bus Station and asked "How much is the fare to Northampton please"?

"I don't know, you'll have to ask the driver when you get on".

Archived