IGNORED

Scott Goldbourne - is he good enough?

Londoner

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Golbourne is a decent championship left back but no more than that. I think Bryan will be a top left back at this level and maybe go on to be a premiership left back so I would play Bryan there. But always relaxed about Golbourne doing a reliable job there. I just think Bryan adds a lot more going forward and has, at times, done really well at left back this season.

LJ hasn't yet worked out his best 11. He has a decent size squad and since the start of the season we've seen unforced changes most weeks.

Bryan and Golbourne have both been selected at LB. Paterson plays one game then misses out, same with Freeman and Wilbraham. 

As LJ has said plenty of times - it's a work in progress and he and the coaching staff are looking for the best combination of players. 

No doubt that Golbourne is a very experienced and capable SBC left back and so is Bryan capable and when Golbourne starts Bryan usually plays in front of him and to me that's the strongest left side of the team.

Maybe LJ hasn't seen that yet.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ hasn't yet worked out his best 11. He has a decent size squad and since the start of the season we've seen unforced changes most weeks.

Bryan and Golbourne have both been selected at LB. Paterson plays one game then misses out, same with Freeman and Wilbraham. 

As LJ has said plenty of times - it's a work in progress and he and the coaching staff are looking for the best combination of players. 

No doubt that Golbourne is a very experienced and capable SBC left back and so is Bryan capable and when Golbourne starts Bryan usually plays in front of him and to me that's the strongest left side of the team.

I personally think a wide paring of bryan and Patterson is really strong....both have pace and can deliver and score goals....

LJ seems set on JB at lb....prefer both in the wings rather than freeman.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I suspect that therein lies a problem for many in understanding LJ's approach. There is no "best 11". There's a best 11 for each match and each opponent. It's a significant change from the past...but that seems to be his approach and it's worked pretty well so far. Anyone expecting the same starting 11 every week may be disappointed.

For me, we are a squad growing into a possession type football team. Golbourne doesn't provide the same width and threat as Joe going forward. I know we want to be solid defensively but I think this is where our two CBs and holding midfielder come into play. I like SG but don't think he is a long term answer at the club under current management. 

I don't think recruitment is close to being finished. I'd like to see Joe at LB and Callum O'Dowda on the left with him. I think that's our future left side. May as well live with some of the mistakes and such but get them the games. This is where I think we could do with a little more consistency in the team selection. It's clear we've built a squad for the future so let's get them playing together. Some aren't quite ready for full time championship football yet but I think Joe and Magnusson are and should be that pair and with Freeman not really pushing on, we can't do much worse with O'Dowda out there. Flint is needed experience on the right and we are bringing Moore on steadily. RB needs sorted. Little is backup at best and Matthews hasn't come on as muchand isn't our player. Need to sort that and have Moore as backup for that spot and for CB. 

Gone off topic a bit but as a player, SG is a good LB for the league but maybe not the best fit for us. I prefer Bryan out there learning on the job. Again, it's about more than this season. 

27 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I suspect that therein lies a problem for many in understanding LJ's approach. There is no "best 11". There's a best 11 for each match and each opponent. It's a significant change from the past...but that seems to be his approach and it's worked pretty well so far. Anyone expecting the same starting 11 every week may be disappointed.

That's the point I was going to make but got distracted in the SG debate.....

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think Golbourne is a decent championship left back but no more than that. I think Bryan will be a top left back at this level and maybe go on to be a premiership left back so I would play Bryan there. But always relaxed about Golbourne doing a reliable job there. I just think Bryan adds a lot more going forward and has, at times, done really well at left back this season.

It's funny how we see things, I love JB in an advanced role but have seen absolutely nothing that suggests he will ever make a premier league left back, his positioning isn't good enough for the top level 

The answer to the original question is "yes".

If you cast your mind back 12 months Joe Bryan went off injured on the opening day at Sheff Wed we had to try Wes Burns at LWB because we had no-one else.

It may be a sign of where we have come since then (or otherwise it is an inability to see a player's strengths) that we are debating whether a player of a good age and experience with plenty of Championship games for others as well as us under his belt is "good enough".

He may not be as good as Joe Bryan (thought as a LB in a back four personally I'm not so sure about that) but what he patently is is a decent squad player who may not exactly be Mr. Versatile, but is certainly valuable and reliable.

5 hours ago, Rob k said:

It's funny how we see things, I love JB in an advanced role but have seen absolutely nothing that suggests he will ever make a premier league left back, his positioning isn't good enough for the top level 

Totally agree with you. Golbourne is a better defender, Joe is better going forward. 

Scott is never going to be spectacular but for me he's a good steady full back who performs well on a consistent basis, he wasn't great yesterday but not many were. Currently I'd love for us to have someone as consistent as him at right back

Has a player had his name misspelled as often in recent seasons as Scott Golbourne? 

I think he's a solid player, but he's limited in what he can do and (very sensibly) tries to play within those limitations. Sometimes that leaves us lacking as a team, but that hardly can be blamed on him

Not sure he can blamed for anything yesterday- both their goals came from our right, while the penalty should never have been. He wasn't great though tbh

44 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Has a player had his name misspelled as often in recent seasons as Scott Golbourne? 

I think he's a solid player, but he's limited in what he can do and (very sensibly) tries to play within those limitations. Sometimes that leaves us lacking as a team, but that hardly can be blamed on him

Not sure he can blamed for anything yesterday- both their goals came from our right, while the penalty should never have been. He wasn't great though tbh

You're so right Chipdog, nail on 'ead, .... the name is Golbourne, ffs, Golbourne, GOLBOURNE got it?  .... God it must drive Scout mad when people keep getting it wrong all the time. 

22 hours ago, Londoner said:

When SG signed he had a really good few games, looking an accomplished classy left back....but ever since the 1-1 draw home to Rotherham last season he has, IMO struggled.

Yesterday he lost his marker for the goal, before clipping their man for the penalty.....I'm not entirely sure what he offers.

He obviously offers very little going forward, and I'm not convinced by his defending either, I can see why Wolves were happy to let him go.

As we are a club seemingly on the top, personally I'm far from convinced that he is up the task at a top half championship club:...too many mistakes, average distribution, and offers little in an attacking sense.

I appreciate this is harsh, but is he good enough?

What are you on? Golbournes been brilliant IMO and defensively really solid however I think Bryan should start ahead of him.

22 hours ago, Londoner said:

When SG signed he had a really good few games, looking an accomplished classy left back....but ever since the 1-1 draw home to Rotherham last season he has, IMO struggled.

Yesterday he lost his marker for the goal, before clipping their man for the penalty.....I'm not entirely sure what he offers.

He obviously offers very little going forward, and I'm not convinced by his defending either, I can see why Wolves were happy to let him go.

As we are a club seemingly on the top, personally I'm far from convinced that he is up the task at a top half championship club:...too many mistakes, average distribution, and offers little in an attacking sense.

I appreciate this is harsh, but is he good enough?

He's a Bourne winner in my opinion, admittedly he'Scott some faults but good as Gold mind.

Seems unfair to blame Golbourne for their first goal when it was Matthews and Smith who let their man get the cross in.

Until the shape was changed Matthews was really struggling on the right and wasn't getting anywhere near enough support from Smith. Giving Smith his usual central midfield duty and bringing on Moore to help out Matthews improved the team no end both offensively and defensively.

SG crossed it for the first goal. Original criticism seems a bit harsh. 

Having said that, think LJ rates Bryan as a better prospect for left-back, but keeps taking the opportunity to rest him or play him in midfield. I'd also have Bryan at LB over Golbourne. However Golbourne is consistent and does a decent job. I am happier to see SG in the team than Little on the other side! 

Archived