IGNORED

U-23's

ciderbeans

Losing again. As much as they are in development and younger than the age group suggests, these are supposed to be the link to the first team (as in at a good enough stage to step up if necessary). All they seem to do is lose convincingly and comfortably. What development is actually going on there? Shouldn't we be developing them to have a winning mentality? 

It would be great to have better results , but it's also important to remember that we are a team that promote and use our youth players,  so we're never going to field out strongest possible team.  We have in and around the first team: Reid, Magnasson, Bryan, Tammy, Moore, O'dowda, Engvall and Brownhill who are all under 23 and freeman , Matthews and Patterson are only 24 so our future players are already playing for us. 

27 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Losing again. As much as they are in development and younger than the age group suggests, these are supposed to be the link to the first team (as in at a good enough stage to step up if necessary). All they seem to do is lose convincingly and comfortably. What development is actually going on there? Shouldn't we be developing them to have a winning mentality? 

What do you propose the club do about it exacrly? It's not the same as a first team where you can just invest in the squad.

It would be nice to have better results but it would only be a big problem if no young players were coming into the playing squad. We're beginning to see a few on the cusp of the playing squad and that's a good thing. That's all that matters really. The only thing that impedes us a bit is that our first team has done well leaving less need to try fresh impetus by blooding youngsters in October.

17 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

It would be great to have better results , but it's also important to remember that we are a team that promote and use our youth players,  so we're never going to field out strongest possible team.  We have in and around the first team: Reid, Magnasson, Bryan, Tammy, Moore, O'dowda, Engvall and Brownhill who are all under 23 and freeman , Matthews and Patterson are only 24 so our future players are already playing for us. 

Exactly this. If we put a team out with Lucic, Di Girolamo, Reid, Mags, Bryan, Tammy, Moore. O'Dowda, Engvall and Brownhill. And also had players out on loan such as Garita, Johnny Smith, Wes Burns and Vyner we would have a really solid standard team that would certainly win a lot more than they would lose.

Would look something like this:

Lucic
Vyner Moore Magnusson Bryan
Burns Brownhill Reid O'Dowda
Engval Abraham (Garita if we are talking about those we own!)

Reality, in my opinion is that not many of our current u23 crop that play under McCalister will make the grade, but if just one of them does then it will be worth the investment.

Taylor Moore the only one out there today with obvious qualities,and even he has been 'exposed a couple of times..

The lads are second to everything and nowhere near the sharpness/desire of Millwall.

The only real concern is one or two don't seem up for the challenge.

Handy player for them to watch-Lewis White..left mid,very tricky.

It also depends on how they set themselves out. I'm guessing they deploy the same tactics/system that the first team uses, rather then tactics to win the game.

I'd rather the youngsters get beat than come out comfortable winners, you don't learn anything by winning 6-0.

Don't we play mostly 17-20 year olds in our U23s? I'm quite sure we do while many others have 21-22 year olds in there every week. It's not about the results. We aren't a successful enough club to have a super efficient academy. We are working on all aspects of the club and in time I'm sure we will have a very impressive setup for that age group. Most of that group is quite young and the older ones are out on loan. I can't see the problem here. 

Results have been much better since McAllister took over but the teams we're up against vary greatly in ability, we beat Newport 6-1 away but they're non-league. Also results depend on how many players with 1st team experience playing, eg recent games featured Adam Matthews and Korey Smith while they were regaining fitness but they're now in the first team group again.

I met a friend that I had not seen in a while and he asked if I still went to AG following "the city" he went on to tell me he went to AG with his daughter who had gone there for the day with her team Portishead Town FC. I remembered them, and commented it looked like a lot of players 2 or 3 teams... apparently it was over 100 kids !! He showed me some pics, but also there website - they have a huge number of teams. I went to have a look at our youth set up... and well does anyone know where their site is ? There is a old Academy site that seems pretty old that is still "under construction" but can't seem to find anything else.

Also I know our website is being redone now we are out of that crappy contract we had... but to put it into context, even Portishead Town have a better website than us.

ScreenShot_20161031165140.pngScreenShot_20161031165214.png

Anyway well done Portishead (I wonder if someone will come on get upset and tell me it's Portishead Town !! ) that really is a good setup you guys got going there.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don't we play mostly 17-20 year olds in our U23s? I'm quite sure we do while many others have 21-22 year olds in there every week. It's not about the results. We aren't a successful enough club to have a super efficient academy. We are working on all aspects of the club and in time I'm sure we will have a very impressive setup for that age group. Most of that group is quite young and the older ones are out on loan. I can't see the problem here. 

Indeed we do mate...playing kids in the U23's at the moment. It will set them up well playing against older, bigger and more physical lads.

See the U18's whooped QPR today, 5-2 at their place.

We've got some good young kids coming through.

Our first team will benefit more in the long run...much more so than the players Millwall put out today.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

Indeed we do mate...playing kids in the U23's at the moment. It will set them up well playing against older, bigger and more physical lads.

Our first team will benefit more in the long run...much more so than the players Millwall put out today.

Do you happen to know if we plan to go for Cat 1 status and start hovering up the local talent ?

You can't compare Portishead and BCFC in regards to kids football Fiale.

Portishead run kids teams to provide opportunities for kids to play football. There is a South Bristol Junior football club running far more teams at mini level than City do who again exist solely to provide opportunities for kids to play. The philosophies are different.

I personally would like City to extend their activity at grass roots level. Creating clearer links to local JSC's would help to combat the drain of talent to other clubs, fulfil a social role for BCFC and lead to better players entering City's academy and ultimately the Professional development phase.

15 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You can't compare Portishead and BCFC in regards to kids football Fiale.

Portishead run kids teams to provide opportunities for kids to play football. There is a South Bristol Junior football club running far more teams at mini level than City do who again exist solely to provide opportunities for kids to play. The philosophies are different.

I personally would like City to extend their activity at grass roots level. Creating clearer links to local JSC's would help to combat the drain of talent to other clubs, fulfil a social role for BCFC and lead to better players entering City's academy and ultimately the Professional development phase.

But we do have youth teams don't we ? I was just asking where there site / info is as they seem to have no online presence. I know City do some coaching down at my local school, have seen the com trust cars and they have some pretty nice pitches at Merchants Academy just of Hareclive rd by that community centre.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Agree 100%. I watched them lose 0-1 to Crystal Palace and the size difference was immense. They had a few 21-22 year olds in the squad that day and they barely edged us out. They're learning and the results aren't everything. Sure it's nice for the confidence but they've got plenty of time to win matches in their careers. 

6 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

Last 6 games, we have won two, drawn two and lost two. And today while our under 23s lost our under 18s won. But let's remember this is OTIB and focus on the negatives!!

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree 100%. I watched them lose 0-1 to Crystal Palace and the size difference was immense. They had a few 21-22 year olds in the squad that day and they barely edged us out. They're learning and the results aren't everything. Sure it's nice for the confidence but they've got plenty of time to win matches in their careers. 

Yes...agreed mate. I was at that game as well... not only were Palace much bigger, but the likes of Boateng playing.

Archived