IGNORED

Little Lee's first test .?

Vincent Vega

Utterly clueless performance. All the basics we failed to deliver. Either the passer or receiver static for just about every pass. No fluidity whatsoever. Like statues. 

I reckon we made 50 simple mistakes in the game to Brighton's 1.

We looked like a crap League 1 team.

10 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Utterly clueless performance. All the basics we failed to deliver. Either the passer or receiver static for just about every pass. No fluidity whatsoever. Like statues. 

No Cotswold. Just a crap Championship team!

12 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I got slated and told I needed a reality check when I said this earlier. Tonight we were awful and at 2 nil down Brighton just watched us offer nothing. Awful to watch and such a shame. I said at half time I would be happy with 2-1 just so long as we played like we did against hull... nope we were clueless I'm afraid and it had nothing to do with brightons performance 

12 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

We are 9th. If you would have said that at the start of the season at this point you would have been delighted. Total overreaction by everyone 

My own comments disregard our position. Top, bottom or somewhere in between, we were crap for any level of football tonight and large periods of our previous few games has been awfully similar. 

Being in early November and still not knowing our best formation and starting 11 is worrying. Even more worrying that we aren't even 100% on who to play in goal.  

Big month ahead. For me we have a really tough few games ahead, especially as we have Joe Bryan LB one week and LW the other. Tonkin central one week then wide the other. Only have one RB, and a poor one at that. We won't  be able to build until we have a clearer view on this. 

On appointment I said if LJ takes us out of this division it will not be in a good way and I still think that unless Lansdown throws even more money at it and we get lucky.

However, to be fair, we are 9th after a third of the season and 2 points off the play offs.

Having said that, I have not enjoyed many games this season, win or lose. Edge of the seat stuff it is not, other than the occasional moment of genius from Tomlin. That, for me, is the bigger picture than whether LJ has the tactical nous to improve our league position.

Wasn't a bad performance in the overall - lost the ball cheaply for both goals in midfield and the first was an abysmal effort from the keeper, but both full backs poor, and 1 up front just isn't working, painfully obvious for a number of games now.

Not overly concerned yet, but I think the system has to change. I'd like to see more of Engval, he looked good against Hull.

Not a problem.

We were outthought and out played.

Brighton have just shown us how far we are off being a top side in this division.

I.M.O  whatever line up we started with tonight would not have been good enough.

Johnson said he needed three windows to get near the side he wants. So that has to be the time for us all to cast judgement?

Anyone can see the two fullbacks that we started with are not up to the standard of a top six side.

Our wide players young and naïve don't have enough impact on the game.

So looks like we might be able to maintain a mid table finish . really think that's the best we can hope for.

Then lets see what Lee can do with the next 2 windows.

Think wele know then if this is the man  to take us to the next level!!!

Every week at this level is a big test. The modern manager likes to chop and change his side and LJ is no different. Think we will turn it around again after our little blip. All a learning curve for the boss and his players. We are a million miles away from Brighton on the pitch. 

And out of the woodwork they come. We all know there is a whole group of fans that never wanted LJ in the first place, mainly because they can't separate the coach from the former player,  and have hidden themselves away because things started brightly, but they can't help themselves when the results falter.

Despite it being constantly stated that this is a work in progress there are those who want to see the finished article on the pitch winning every week. 

Who amongst us does know the best team and best formation? This is still a depleted squad in some positions so some shuffling and use of players that may not be up to the task is necessary. 

I swear we have some fans who make gasheads look like the world's most patient fans, well done on your sense of perspective guys.

2 hours ago, smokey live said:

Im not so sure it's playing with one up front which is the problem, i think its more to do with way we are playing it. I just think we have become far to cautious.

Playing one up front away from home I can understand, this because the home side always comes on to you and are susceptible to a quick counter attack, at home it's a different matter. 

Add in the fact we have 19 year old playing his first season in pro football as a loan striker, yes, he had a great start to the season, but with that came the publicity and with that came the opposition manager realising that he really struggles to hold the ball up and also isn't really that strong on the ball.

Tammy needs the ball in front of him, either balls over the top/in the channels or balls being cut back from the byline, that's the sort of striker he is. Other teams have now realised this, hence his lack of chances lately.

LJ tactics seems to be contributing to Tammy's lack of chances, due to having wide men who constantly come inside, it must be LJ's tactics because we simply don't take on full backs on the outside anymore, this as a result of having right footers on the left and left on the right. 

Against Blackburn we had Freeman on the right and Patterson on the left for the majority of the game. To me that is not the plan of a coach who came with a reputation as a bit of a tactical whizkid. I could understand it if these two were cutting in on to their stronger foot and getting shots away, but we seem to have turned into a team that don't do shots anymore!

40 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And out of the woodwork they come. We all know there is a whole group of fans that never wanted LJ in the first place, mainly because they can't separate the coach from the former player,  and have hidden themselves away because things started brightly, but they can't help themselves when the results falter.

Despite it being constantly stated that this is a work in progress there are those who want to see the finished article on the pitch winning every week. 

Who amongst us does know the best team and best formation? This is still a depleted squad in some positions so some shuffling and use of players that may not be up to the task is necessary. 

I swear we have some fans who make gasheads look like the world's most patient fans, well done on your sense of perspective guys.

I think that is somewhat harsh. Any manager of any club will get some stick after a performance like tonight. It was men against boys for all of the 96 minutes.

You are right when you say who amongst us know the best team and the best formation, but then we are not working with these players or played a part in buying these players, however LJ did.

I do not expect us to win every week, actually no team does in this league,but I do expect a more tactically aware manager who does his homework and trains his players in preparation for the next game.

Brighton are a good side, they are extremely organized,fit and confident, and very quick and direct on the counter, I would have hoped that we might have realized that prior to KO.

Their centre backs won everything in the air, it didn't help that for the most part we threw the ball in their area at every opportunity to aide their cause.

We lost two ridiculous goals but really did we ever remotely look like scoring ?

A lot of things concern me about where we are at the moment, not least that we have a 19 year old lad being expected to deliver goals every game, and when that doesn't happen we bring on a bloke that technically is old enough to be his dad.

Why did we not bring in another FIT striker as the Swedish lad never gets a kick! Why?

The RB situation is almost farcical, Little is nowhere near the standard required and Mathews didn't even make the bench!

i could go on, I am not expecting promotion, far from it, but I do expect more than I saw tonight, we were static, one dimensional and bereft of ideas, and that comes down to coaching, game planning and motivation - all part of a head coaches remit!

11 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

We are 9th. If you would have said that at the start of the season at this point you would have been delighted. Total overreaction by everyone 

Unfortunately I don't take comfort from this argument. If you're looking at the table for an indicator of our overall performance, my view is that this can only be seen from the trajectory that we are on. If we'd had a slow start to the season, gradually improving to reach a position of 9th, I would as you say have been delighted. However, the fact is we've taken four points from the last five games vs. ten points from the five games prior to that.  I'm certainly not panicking, however I'm not feeling particularly encouraged by our recent results and more importantly, the performances that have lead to them.

Archived