IGNORED

Tammy Abraham

AshtonGreat

I've watched him in three games this season (tonight, Cardiff and Newcastle) and I think he's touched the ball about five times in total. I realise he's a tap-in kind of forward and that he's been scoring a fair few goals. The trouble is, when our other players aren't creating chances for him - as was the case tonight - he's completely anonymous and therefore we're effectively playing with ten men. It's not entirely his fault - he is what he is, and LJ's tactics and the lack of quality in our creative players didn't exactly help. But I would like to see him improve his all-round game, so he's not just waiting at the edge of the six-yard box for chances to fall at his feet, and instead he's creating his own chances - more like a Suarez or an Henry. We're not a good enough team to be able to 'lose' a player like we did tonight.

I imagine it's why he's on loan. We weren't signing a finished product. Tbf to him, he's really good for a 19 year old. Playing up top by himself with no one near him. He fights to keep the ball and play the ball to teammates but he's 19 and rough to ask him to be stronger. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I imagine it's why he's on loan. We weren't signing a finished product. Tbf to him, he's really good for a 19 year old. Playing up top by himself with no one near him. He fights to keep the ball and play the ball to teammates but he's 19 and rough to ask him to be stronger. 

I get that but he's our main striker. If he's not the finished article or not strong enough, he shouldn't be shouldering all the responsibility. We had and have the money to buy someone with experience

I agree he's not really the type to make the ball stick like Wilbs or drift wide and create something from nothing like Kodjia. That does mean if he doesn't get the service from our midfield he will have a quiet game. As Joe says above it's one of the reasons he will be on loan to improve the rest of the game. But also perhaps an argument to play 2 up top (although I don't necessarily agree with it). Certainly LJ needs to come up with a way of creating more, but hopefully we will get there. COYR

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I get that but he's our main striker. If he's not the finished article or not strong enough, he shouldn't be shouldering all the responsibility. We had and have the money to buy someone with experience

No doubt about that. I personally wouldn't mind Tammy getting a few games off to refresh. Gustav seems lively enough to have a few starts. Still about 8 weeks until we can address the depth there. He's doing an admirable job up there considering he's only really played development football before this year but we've all seen what his strength are and our lack of wingers isn't doing him any favours. 

If we cannot get the ball to him in dangerous areas then he will struggle - early int he season we were making those plays, crosses, through balls - now, well it seems to have been dropped from our arsenal in favour of long balls, or runs towards the opponents D, no matter your current position or options. 

Didn't JK have this problem last season where his goal scoring dried up for a few matches? How has our playing style changed since earlier on when Tammy was getting lots of chances and putting many of them away .

Were we so obvious tonight that Brighton knew exacty where most of our passes were going , the accuracy rate was appalling . 

Was it just me who thought that Jamie Murphy's booking in the last minute was the referee's way of making up for the two missed penalty claims? It seemed quite a soft challenge compared of what had gone  before . 

46 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I've watched him in three games this season (tonight, Cardiff and Newcastle) and I think he's touched the ball about five times in total. I realise he's a tap-in kind of forward and that he's been scoring a fair few goals. The trouble is, when our other players aren't creating chances for him - as was the case tonight - he's completely anonymous and therefore we're effectively playing with ten men. It's not entirely his fault - he is what he is, and LJ's tactics and the lack of quality in our creative players didn't exactly help. But I would like to see him improve his all-round game, so he's not just waiting at the edge of the six-yard box for chances to fall at his feet, and instead he's creating his own chances - more like a Suarez or an Henry. We're not a good enough team to be able to 'lose' a player like we did tonight.

Post of the night... for all the wrong reasons!

A kid that has not long turned 19 needs to improve his 'all round game'?! Luckily he has a very long time to do it then. If he already had his all round game then he wouldn't be here!

I think the biggest problem is, and many people mentioned this when the transfer window closed, is that we have put ourselves in a position where we have become so reliable on a 19 year old to carry us on the goal front as they don't seem to come from anywhere else!

7 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Doesn't help when he clearly signals to his teammates to play the ball on the floor and through the channels yet they decide to play it at head height....

He's not that kind of striker.

If we read his gameplay correctly he would create himself numerous more chances. 

Its like the Johnson dink has returned

Absolute shocker of a thread.

Knocking a 19 year old, who is making his way in the football world, for the deficiencies of others!!

The fact that you have only seen him in 3 games (2 televised) speaks volumes.

57 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Post of the night... for all the wrong reasons!

A kid that has not long turned 19 needs to improve his 'all round game'?! Luckily he has a very long time to do it then. If he already had his all round game then he wouldn't be here!

I think the biggest problem is, and many people mentioned this when the transfer window closed, is that we have put ourselves in a position where we have become so reliable on a 19 year old to carry us on the goal front as they don't seem to come from anywhere else!

Yes we have, and there's no excuse for that. Where the hell is Gustav Engvall? Why is Aaron Wilbraham our only back-up? I wasn't placing all the blame on Tammy's shoulders at all, although there's no reason he can't get into the game more. Otherwise we play with ten men

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Absolute shocker of a thread.

Knocking a 19 year old, who is making his way in the football world, for the deficiencies of others!!

The fact that you have only seen him in 3 games (2 televised) speaks volumes.

I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't knocking him, I was making constructive criticism that would improve him and improve us.

You can't argue with his goal record so far this season. But we are a club with ambitions to make it to the Premier League and - what was it - Europe within five years? So why should be relying so heavily on a player who is still learning the trade?

Archived