IGNORED

Torquay United - Urgent

mattjtsmith

Would you...  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, things are going bad to worse for this club. It has a great history and we've come across them plenty over the years. 

It's now come to a point where Torquay must pay of their debts to a company called GI, which I understand to be around 600k, by 31st Jan. If not, they plan to build where the ground is.

Talking with my brother, we thought it would be a great gesture if other clubs came together to support them. We would all hate the loss of our beloved club, and put in the same position we'd be desperate. 

Thoughts on a bike ride from Exeter to Torquay? Could be a real statement I think. I will be emailing the club in due course but would love to see the support grow on here. 

Surely the best thing they could do is for the supporters club to set up a kickstarter, gofund me page or something and advertise it on every single football forum in the country to hope that fans help out - a sponsored bike ride or two is not going to really cut it, and to be honest I imagine you will find it hard to get people interested, whereas maybe nationwide you could get enough people to donate a £1, £5, etc maybe some local business would contribute a little more - but you def need one concerted effort by one entity or your sadly going nowhere. 

I'd have a read of this:

http://torquayfansforum.co.uk/thread/12107/halloween-day-news?page=1

The situation is a mess and even the fans are split into rival groups. The current chairman seems keen upon Gaming International taking over and the other interested party is Pete Masters, taxi firm owner and Chairman of Truro City currently losing £250k a year in the Conference south.

There is no credible fans' group bidding and no fan-preferred bidder. Fans have ceased to give money to the club (player sponsorship) because they no longer trust the owner so if they, who are a lot closer to the situation, don't want to give any money to the club then I doubt they'd be supportive of a £600k gift to the club to keep the current Chairman in residence.

It's not a good position to be in but until there is a credible fans' based takeover group formed, as successfully happened at Exeter, then there doesn't seem to be anywhere for any monies raised to go.

At present Torbay Council owns the freehold of Plainmoor and whilst there is a propaganda campaign by the prospective new owners GI to buy it there's no indication from the council that they're prepared to sell this to have flats built upon it.

http://m.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/torquay-united-sale-of-plainmoor-back-on-the-table-as-resumed-takeover-talks-come-to-a-head/story-29860745-detail/story.html

If there's a bit of people pressure on the Council then the best route would be for a fans' group to start up an AFC Wimbledon type club and rent the ground off the council; leaving the current ownership and its £600k debt to whither and die.

Gaming International own the Swindon Speedway stadium. Income from housing will be far higher for GI than they get from Speedway.

Parallels with UWE here, a new stadium has been promised, but in the meantime, diggers have arrived to start demolition of the existing stadium. Council tax from the number of homes to be built is higher than one single Business Rate, so the local Council are also in favour of GI's scheme.

Archived