IGNORED

We bought a Swede but did we get lumbered with a turkey.

headhunter

10 minutes ago, pillred said:

that's very true phileas I'm only saying that the fact he is only 20 in its self is not a valid reason but when you add everything else in its maybe understandable

I'd argue that it is a reason in itself but is added to by the other factors. 

11 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Still very early days but not looking too promising. Not making an impact in the development games he is playing in, was poor at Fulham, I wasn't particularly impressed with him in the Hull game (although many raved)...he does deserve more time though. If he wasn't playing regularly over Wilbraham etc by the end of season then I think I would be concerned for him long term.

However worth pointing out that a player like Magnusson, only 23, didn't need time. Came straight in and was decent.

I think it's unfair to compare the two. Whilst also young, Magnusson has 3 years on him which gives him a little extra life experience. Magnusson has also played outside of his homeland too whereas Engvall has t. Magnusson is also better at English which will help. I think different young players just take time to adapt, especially if foreign.

He's barely been here for two months, we need to give him a chance. I'd reserve judgement until the late spring personally. We've been spoilt by the likes of Magnusson, Abraham, Kodjia etc settling in very quickly. This won't happen every single time.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd argue that it is a reason in itself but is exhasibated by the other factors. 

I think it's unfair to compare the two. Whilst also young, Magnusson has 3 years on him which does help him settle in. Magnusson is also better at English which will help. I think different young players just take time to adapt, especially if foreign.

He's barely been here for two months, we need to give him a chance. I'd reserve judgement until the late spring personally. We've been spoilt by the likes of Magnusson, Abraham, Kodjia etc settling in very quickly. This won't happen every single time.

I agree to an extent - just hope it comes good for him but I have a bad feeling...

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

He hasn't played football outside Sweden before, a young lad he might need time to settle. Too soon to judge yet but I think we've paid over the odds, not his fault though

I'm not saying that you've contradicted yourself there but you've contradicted yourself there.

1 minute ago, brizzlelou said:

I'm not saying that you've contradicted yourself there but you've contradicted yourself there.

I was on my phone so abbreviated. Meant to say he may be useful to us (not sure how much yet) but we've paid too much, he's never going to be that good he's worth £2.5M (but I hope I'm proved wrong).

I met him at a club event when he joined. He had been injured and has not been fit to play since. Apparently, we signed him with a thigh injury and thus he was never just going to come into the side.... He will be OK, give him time! The problem is that we need him now so understand why fans are frustrated! He will be a good signing for us. 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

We play 1 up top with two attacking midfielders and one player in the hole

but don't worry that won't stop the witch hunt now we've lost a few games

But when has Engvall come on even when he's sat on the sub bench - it's always Wilbs. Engvall and Wilbs are the subs, Tammy first choice. So in choosing Wilbs over Engvall then it's Wilbs keeping Engvall out of the side as neither of them is really in contention for Tammy's spot.... only 2nd place, and it's always Wilbs that gets the 2nd place and Engvall just the participation reward for turning up.

56 minutes ago, Fiale said:

But when has Engvall come on even when he's sat on the sub bench - it's always Wilbs. Engvall and Wilbs are the subs, Tammy first choice. So in choosing Wilbs over Engvall then it's Wilbs keeping Engvall out of the side as neither of them is really in contention for Tammy's spot.... only 2nd place, and it's always Wilbs that gets the 2nd place and Engvall just the participation reward for turning up.

One would assume Wilbs comes on because we've gone to the long ball and it suits him better than it would Engvall. I think we are more likely to see Engvall starting and giving defenders problems with his pressing and runs in behind them bringing TA on later. Well I would imagine that's how he would get his future chances. Hard to send on a 20 year old when chasing a game. The trust just not there yet but it'll get there. A few Swedish experts on here said he was quite a raw talent and I think the injuries didn't help. We'll see him more as the year goes on assuming he stays fit. Well that seems logical anyway. 

4 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

16 games (including 4 appearances as sub), last played July 31st (substituted after 45 minutes).

Bit concerning, but on the other hand he is only 20 and unlike Magners has never left his homeland, his family, his girlfriend are still in Sweden, he's not only learning a new language but a new lifestyle, a new country. Give him time and I'm sure he will come good 

On 11/8/2016 at 14:13, Alex_BCFC said:

Still very early days but not looking too promising. Not making an impact in the development games he is playing in, was poor at Fulham, I wasn't particularly impressed with him in the Hull game (although many raved)...he does deserve more time though. If he wasn't playing regularly over Wilbraham etc by the end of season then I think I would be concerned for him long term.

However worth pointing out that a player like Magnusson, only 23, didn't need time. Came straight in and was decent.

Didn't one of our Swedish members laugh at the fee we paid for him and I believe mentioned that he wasn't worth it.

37 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Didn't one of our Swedish members laugh at the fee we paid for him and I believe mentioned that he wasn't worth it.

Its was me! I have a lots of contact with supporters in Gothenbourg and they really laughed when they heard about the price! I could have told you at least 10 swedish players which would have been a much better signing than this one, for that money!

But as i said before, i hope i have wrong! But it doesnt look so!

COYR

The points about him coming to a new country are valid but a few on here have mentioned the language. He's quite fluent in English already and I don't think that is a factor. Maybe LJ feels he has the personnel to bring Gustav on slowly. Maybe he wants to get TA minutes to assure he stays for the season first then starts resting him a bit more. Maybe there is more to it than just making a story out of the few details we have. 

13 hours ago, BCFC OF SWEDEN said:

Its was me! I have a lots of contact with supporters in Gothenbourg and they really laughed when they heard about the price! I could have told you at least 10 swedish players which would have been a much better signing than this one, for that money!

But as i said before, i hope i have wrong! But it doesnt look so!

COYR

OK. I thought it might have been you, unfortunately mistakes will happen in the transfer market, but I am sure we are all hoping that he will come good and City will get their money's worth in the end.  Perhaps LJ knows what he is doing in this instance, anyway all we can do is wait and see, look how long it took Reid to get up to standard and he's home grown.

See the Post have already picked up on the fact some of you have written off 'one for the future' as being crap.

In amongst some story about a West Ham striker reference is made.

Nothing like destroying the confidence of a young player who probably thrives on confidence, is adapting to living in a new country and is probably away from family and friends for the first time because he hasn't scored a bucket load.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of you have your own professional/work place issues that you are struggling to come to terms with and that's why you are eager to deflect what you perceive as a failure in others. Not MD* yet by any chance?

*Also applies to team-leader, supervisor, manager or just the person trusted to take care of the keys.

18 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

The points about him coming to a new country are valid but a few on here have mentioned the language. He's quite fluent in English already and I don't think that is a factor. Maybe LJ feels he has the personnel to bring Gustav on slowly. Maybe he wants to get TA minutes to assure he stays for the season first then starts resting him a bit more. Maybe there is more to it than just making a story out of the few details we have. 

Of course the language issue is relevant. From what I've heard from him he seems ok but not great at English. Much better than Kodjia but not as good as Magnusson.

This could be a bigger factor than you think, someone with his level of English probably wouldn't be able to pick up on nuances of humour when players joke around ans take longer to grasp instructions on the training pitch, even general conversation - all of that will lengthen the time it takes for him to settle in. It's all conjecture really as none of us know, but the language thing shouldn't be underestimated.

Archived