IGNORED

We bought a Swede but did we get lumbered with a turkey.

headhunter

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course the language issue is relevant. From what I've heard from him he seems ok but not great at English. Much better than Kodjia but not as good as Magnusson.

This could be a bigger factor than you think, someone with his level of English probably wouldn't be able to pick up on nuances of humour when players joke around ans take longer to grasp instructions on the training pitch, even general conversation - all of that will lengthen the time it takes for him to settle in. It's all conjecture really as none of us know, but the language thing shouldn't be underestimated.

I've been to IKEA and it's all Greek to me .

38 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course the language issue is relevant. From what I've heard from him he seems ok but not great at English. Much better than Kodjia but not as good as Magnusson.

This could be a bigger factor than you think, someone with his level of English probably wouldn't be able to pick up on nuances of humour when players joke around ans take longer to grasp instructions on the training pitch, even general conversation - all of that will lengthen the time it takes for him to settle in. It's all conjecture really as none of us know, but the language thing shouldn't be underestimated.

I don't know what part of Sweden he comes from, but from my experience of travelling to Stockholm and talking to Swedish tourists who come to Tallinn, generally,  most Swede's have a good knowledge of English. This is due to the education system and also because they can get lot's of English TV programmes, and this helps with the standard of our language.   Perhaps he didn't have a very good education, who knows, but I know that Swede's do have a very good knowledge of English.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

From what I heard he was right there with Magnusson. I don't think anything would get lost in translation anyway. I think English is quite well spoken in that part of the world much like Iceland or Germany. He may miss conversing in his native tongue with people but I can't see a barrier. All the other issues I think are relevant as he is only 20 and never been playing outside his home country. 

Anyway, there is a good player there just may need time to settle for whatever reason. I've said before, football for a good four months when this break is over. He'll be needed along with everyone else in the squad. He's got his part to play with this club still. I don't think the club would invest the money they did to give up on him so easily as some on here seem to suggest. 

19 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

The points about him coming to a new country are valid but a few on here have mentioned the language. He's quite fluent in English already and I don't think that is a factor. Maybe LJ feels he has the personnel to bring Gustav on slowly. Maybe he wants to get TA minutes to assure he stays for the season first then starts resting him a bit more. Maybe there is more to it than just making a story out of the few details we have. 

personell 'up top' is what we don't have-Engvall at best a 'slow burn so work on striking options for January I'm sure being looked at already..

Gustav need games for the U21 European Championships - he is our top scorer. You could see how disappointed he was not to come on against Brighton. We shouted to him from the Lansdown and urged him to keep his head up. His best chance is possibly to replace Tomlin which is not likely to happen (god forbid Abraham gets injured). He probably need to go out on loan and the same goes for Ekstrand. Given the chance Gustav would come good though.       

26 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Gustav need games for the U21 European Championships - he is our top scorer. You could see how disappointed he was not to come on against Brighton. We shouted to him from the Lansdown and urged him to keep his head up. His best chance is possibly to replace Tomlin which is not likely to happen (god forbid Abraham gets injured). He probably need to go out on loan and the same goes for Ekstrand. Given the chance Gustav would come good though.       

I hope you are right Tommy!

2.5m for the lad and he seems way off challenging, while others at or around the same age and less money have got plenty of playing time.

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

personell 'up top' is what we don't have-Engvall at best a 'slow burn so work on striking options for January I'm sure being looked at already..

We'll need a striker whether he starts playing or not. TA is not our player and AW is obviously not a long term solution. If we don't bring in a permanent striker in January then Gustav is first choice for next season before any activity. We'll need a striker in January to get us through the season and hopefully we can do something permanent. So yea I agree with you that we should be looking for more helpful options right now but that doesn't mean Gustav has failed 

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

From what I heard he was right there with Magnusson. I don't think anything would get lost in translation anyway. I think English is quite well spoken in that part of the world much like Iceland or Germany. He may miss conversing in his native tongue with people but I can't see a barrier. All the other issues I think are relevant as he is only 20 and never been playing outside his home country. 

Anyway, there is a good player there just may need time to settle for whatever reason. I've said before, football for a good four months when this break is over. He'll be needed along with everyone else in the squad. He's got his part to play with this club still. I don't think the club would invest the money they did to give up on him so easily as some on here seem to suggest. 

Have you ever worked somewhere where English isn't the native language with colleagues who don't speak English? It definitely is a factor that makes things harder. There's a huge difference between understanding what's being said quite well and being a native speaker, it's a totally different level and makes understanding much harder. Amazed you can't see it as an issue.

Each individual is different but there could be all manner of reasons why he hasn't broken through yet. I'm baffled as to why so many are giving him a rough time on here so early. He's been here little over 2 months, in the scheme of things that's not long. He's very young and been injured, people need to give him a break.

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Have you ever worked somewhere where English isn't the native language with colleagues who don't speak English? It definitely is a factor that makes things harder. There's a huge difference between understanding what's being said quite well and being a native speaker, it's a totally different level and makes understanding much harder. Amazed you can't see it as an issue.

Each individual is different but there could be all manner of reasons why he hasn't broken through yet. I'm baffled as to why so many are giving him a rough time on here so early. He's been here little over 2 months, in the scheme of things that's not long. He's very young and been injured, people need to give him a break.

Just my opinion with the language. It's just so widely spoken around the world. I did say maybe he misses interacting in his language but doesn't seem like as big a deal to me. I do agree with the second bit though. He needs time. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Just my opinion with the language. It's just so widely spoken around the world. I did say maybe he misses interacting in his language but doesn't seem like as big a deal to me. I do agree with the second bit though. He needs time. 

I think you missed my point slightly with language; yes, English is widely spoken but it would only be his second language. He's a very good second language speaker of English from his signing interview but I think it's pretty safe to say that he's not as comfortable speaking English as Swedish so will miss out on subtle intricacies of humour with teammates and may misunderstand things slightly generally. It's definitely a factor to consider, and as someone who's worked abroad with non-native English speakers in many multinational teams (even with very strong second language speakers) it plays a part in cohesion. All conjecture though, I don't have a clue about how he's settled in really just debating a factor that will contribute.

We agree about the time thing though, amazed so many appear to have the knives out already.

8 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree.  Kodjia managed to play well here, despite a very limited range of English, and is also doing very well at AV.  I don't think it's the language that's the problem, more likely his injuries and the fact that LJ has not seen enough in training to give him more starts.  No doubt it will all come in time, as he is only young and hopefully will improve sooner than later.

It's not easy for a young promising player to suddenly end up fifteen years back of time being told the same things as he was as a 5 year old at Färjestaden GOIF.

England is an overgoing overpaid backyard.

Soon you will face Brexit.

Your fucken braindead fooling politicians...............

It's my opinion. If you do not like what I say, Stand up and ignore me. Do not ask for me to be banned.

The free word should live forever.

In an hours time Sweden will face France away in an Europeean Championship qualifier. Not a single Swedish player woukld qualify for the French squad. But we will stand up and adopt to the circumstances not looking totally fooled like Bristol City. Again and again. I do not blame Lee Johnson. This club has been missmanaged for so many years. Including Gary Johnson. GET REAL.    

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Agree.  Kodjia managed to play well here, despite a very limited range of English, and is also doing very well at AV.  I don't think it's the language that's the problem, more likely his injuries and the fact that LJ has not seen enough in training to give him more starts.  No doubt it will all come in time, as he is only young and hopefully will improve sooner than later.

You're missing the point, I was saying that language definitely is a factor that may contribute to how quickly a young 20 year old player who has never played outside of Sweden might settle in. I don't think that can be debated really, it's something that will be an issue. It's a small point about a wider issue concerning why he hasn't been playing. Things like language will slow down how quickly he settles in; understanding  team mates and coaches, even things like understanding road signs on the way to Failand or reading the matchday programme are all hindered, even if it's only a tiny bit, and it all will contribute to settling into life here.

If Kodjia spoke perfect English he probably would've done even better here. It's worth pointing out though that at Villa there are plenty more French speakers in that squad which will help him on the pitch and off it.

I'm not saying his language is stopping him playing well in training or giving him injuries. Those two factors are clearly much bigger, macro factors if you like, that will impact selection but are a bit different. The settling in thing, and what may contribute to it, is conjecture anyway - none of us know really.

Archived