IGNORED

EFL (Mickey Mouse) Cup

cidered abroad

BBC sport confirm with a photo that 65 "Gasheads" were at last nights match at Portsmouth in a crowd (smattering) of 1,200, Portsmouth's lowest attendance for a first team match post 1939-1945 war.

Humour aside, the gates at this weeks games are a joke with 308 at Middlesbro, 689 at Stoke. The ridiculously low gates prove that a competition which now includes Premier League B teams is not what fans want. Go back to the original competition for third and fourth tier clubs or scrap it. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Though I am struggling to understand how it was so hard to count the 9 away fans?

Capture.PNG

"And there were just 284 people watching West Brom's academy side play at home to Gillingham - a number, according to the Gills' Twitter account, that included scouts and press, as well as "approximately" nine away fans." From the BBC.

Interesting that 9 was an approximate number.  Surely you could have just gone round and asked each of the 284 who they supported.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Though I am struggling to understand how it was so hard to count the 9 away fans?

Capture.PNG

One of them had a split personality, so there could have been many more?

Seriously though, the attendances are shocking throughout. Maybe this is the point where the supporters really can make a stand, especially as the operational costs must outweigh the money coming in for the tie surely!!!?? Can't see clubs putting up with it for too long, and even the FA/FL must realise that this isn't going to work. The Prem and Championship teams fans aren't interested in it, and the rest don't agree with the whole setup. 

Let's be honest, even when we won it last, the attendances didn't pick up until the latter stages. This competition has always been like that. Leave it for L1/2 teams, it helps them, especially if they go on a run.

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

BBC sport confirm with a photo that 65 "Gasheads" were at last nights match at Portsmouth in a crowd (smattering) of 1,200, Portsmouth's lowest attendance for a first team match post 1939-1945 war.

Humour aside, the gates at this weeks games are a joke with 308 at Middlesbro, 689 at Stoke. The ridiculously low gates prove that a competition which now includes Premier League B teams is not what fans want. Go back to the original competition for third and fourth tier clubs or scrap it. 

It's an insult to Mickey Mouse... 

I thought it was meant to be Premiership U21s invited. How come Brighton and Wolves have their U21s in it?

I notice Chelsea's U21s finished bottom of their pool group. Have they no decent young players at that club? :P Their game last night ended as a draw, so a pen shootout was held which they won 13-12. Looking at the scorers, only one "traditional" English name amongst them.

11 minutes ago, 22A said:

I thought it was meant to be Premiership U21s invited. How come Brighton and Wolves have their U21s in it?

I notice Chelsea's U21s finished bottom of their pool group. Have they no decent young players at that club? :P Their game last night ended as a draw, so a pen shootout was held which they won 13-12. Looking at the scorers, only one "traditional" English name amongst them.

Some of the Premiership clubs declined the invite - I presume nobody thought to consult them beforehand?

I'm hoping for a Millwall v West Ham U21 final - that should put an end to this idiotic format!

37 minutes ago, 22A said:

I thought it was teams in the development premier league which would be different from the teams in the premier league? Doesn't even matter. The mockery has been made and what should be an exciting cup for lower league teams is now a farce to get some 22-23 year olds men's football because they've been in an academy for 5 years. Plus you can still play your few overage players. Norwich have been playing a 28 year old. Awful idea and hope it gets scrapped soon. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Bet the sponsor of the cup is furious.

Not only is the competition a joke, but no one is turning up at the games to see the sponsors name plastered everywhere.

Still I'm sure that whoever made the decision to change the format still believes they made the right decision.

Whenever I hear the jingle it always used to remind me of the weather on GMB, now it's just a shit footy tournament !!

Remember the format ONLY changed as the lower league Chairman and Chief execs voted FOR IT !

Remember the format ONLY changed as the lower league Chairman and Chief execs voted FOR IT !

Due to it being linked to EPL money. Football league clubs are effectively being bribed to accept unpalatable changes due to the EPL'S "here is a tiny piece of skin, you will get no skin at all if you do not do as we please". The same thing was done with the EPPP for the good of the EPL not a national benefit.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

How come Cheltenham and Cambridge were placed in the Northern Section whilst some clubs, geographically North of them, were in the Southern Area?

I vaguely remember something being said about this when the groups were originally announced, and I don't think anybody could come up with a reason to be honest.

Just another reason the whole competition is a farce if you ask me.

Archived