IGNORED

Conor McGregor

BS3_RED

1 hour ago, yardy said:

What a performance from Conor! his striking, timing and accuracy are just unbelievable 

He really is a different level to the other fighters, great showman and massive superstar.

Gotta love him!

This.

The guy is just awesome. Such a fantastic striker. His timing is second to none. 

I watched UFC 205 today, whilst the kids were at school, and this was my first view of Conor McGregor.  The man is incredible, not just because of his intense skill, speed, accuracy and what must be phenomenal power, but it's also the look of invincibility upon his face.  He honest to God doesn't believe he can be beaten.

55 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I watched UFC 205 today, whilst the kids were at school, and this was my first view of Conor McGregor.  The man is incredible, not just because of his intense skill, speed, accuracy and what must be phenomenal power, but it's also the look of invincibility upon his face.  He honest to God doesn't believe he can be beaten.

Never seen someone with so much self belief in my lifetime, possibly only Muhammad Ali that has in the last century!

I don't usually like brash ego eccentric sportsman (like Mayweather) but Conor is too funny not to like.

Conor is very special

18 hours ago, yardy said:

Never seen someone with so much self belief in my lifetime, possibly only Muhammad Ali that has in the last century!

I don't usually like brash ego eccentric sportsman (like Mayweather) but Conor is too funny not to like.

Conor is very special

Interesting you mention Mayweather but I believe that he has helped instigate the rise of UFC. Anyone who liked to watch a fight watched boxing and MMA was almost an underground sport with limited mainstream appeal. However when the 'best pound for pound' boxer (Mayweather) is as boring as watching your nan knit you can see why people looked elsewhere. 

57 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Interesting you mention Mayweather but I believe that he has helped instigate the rise of UFC. Anyone who liked to watch a fight watched boxing and MMA was almost an underground sport with limited mainstream appeal. However when the 'best pound for pound' boxer (Mayweather) is as boring as watching your nan knit you can see why people looked elsewhere. 

I think Mayweather undoubtedly had the best skills of his generation but they were by no means the most exciting. When I think of exciting I think of Prince Naseem who probably got me into boxing. McGregor is that rare breed who is not only exciting but one of the best.  The only question is will he grow too big for UFC ? He's already making the rules up now by not defending his lightweight belt. 

51 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Yea i think boxing in general has helped the UFC be more popular, boxing has been on the decline for the last 2 decades imo.

I have always been a massive boxing fan and never thought i would like UFC but i have been hooked on mma for over 10 years now. The main problem with boxing is all the organisations like WBA WBC IBF, all these mean fighters can avoid each other.....no chance of that in the UFC.

I agree about Mayweather being boring i can't stand the guy but his boxing skills are second to none.

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I think Mayweather undoubtedly had the best skills of his generation but they were by no means the most exciting. When I think of exciting I think of Prince Naseem who probably got me into boxing. McGregor is that rare breed who is not only exciting but one of the best.  The only question is will he grow too big for UFC ? He's already making the rules up now by not defending his lightweight belt. 

Bit of a farce that Conor hasn't defended his lightweight belt no other fighter could get away with that, money talks and all that but i find that a bit sad in this situation.

Conor has already mentioned he wants shares in the UFC, i wonder how that will pan out.

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Can't agree with you there I'm afraid. I appreciate that the visceral nature of MMA makes it far more immediately satisfying, but to anyone who has been watching any combat sport for many years, Floyd's skills are unparalleled. It's far harder to be a great dynamic defensive boxer than anything else in the sport.

McGregor is a fantastic, exciting character in the UFC, but you can't compare the striking skills he has to being the best defensive boxer the world has ever seen. It's like comparing apples to oranges

23 hours ago, reddogkev said:

It's all about the precision and not the power - he says it himself ;)

The guy has UFC in his back pocket. They more or less loathe the guy. Can't be without him, but wish otherwise. Very smart PR & approach to everything about his 'game'.

The money talks.

Bored off of boxing; it's so tame/lame compared to the skill, hard work, excitement and brute of MMA.

3 hours ago, Stortz said:

Can't agree with you there I'm afraid. I appreciate that the viscerisl nature of MMA makes it far more immediateiny satisfying, but to anyone who has been watching any combat sport for many years, Floyd's skills are unparalleled. It's far harder to be a great dynamic defensive boxer than anything else in the sport.

McGregor is a fantastic, exciting character in the UFC, but you can't compare the striking skills he has to being the best defensive boxer the world has ever seen. It's like comparing apples to oranges

Not comparing them as fighters as I believe Mayweather would floor McGregor. All I am saying Is that although Mayweather was brilliant, he was dull. People go off dull things and UFC filled the void that boxing has not been filling In a long time.

8 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Not comparing them as fighters as I believe Mayweather would floor McGregor. All I am saying Is that although Mayweather was brilliant, he was dull. People go off dull things and UFC filled the void that boxing has not been filling In a long time.

To each their own mate. I loved watching Floyd box but find 4 minutes and 50 seconds of two fighters rolling around on the floor together like drunks outside a kebab house fairly tedious. I accept that that may be because I don't understand the finer points of grappling, maybe you don't appreciate the finer points of defensive boxing?

Floyd is one incredibly rich dull bastard, that's for sure, so he must have been doing something right!

12 minutes ago, Stortz said:

To each their own mate. I loved watching Floyd box but find 4 minutes and 50 seconds of two fighters rolling around on the floor together like drunks outside a kebab house fairly tedious. I accept that that may be because I don't understand the finer points of grappling, maybe you don't appreciate the finer points of defensive boxing?

Floyd is one incredibly rich dull bastard, that's for sure, so he must have been doing something right!

Oh yes, UFC fights that turn into a grapple fest are equally dull. Although I used to box and I understand and appreciate Mayweather, but I don't want to watch him do it. Same way I love playing football but a spectator would just see a load of men scrambling around a vegetable patch aimlessly lumping a football with limited entertainment value. 

49 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Oh yes, UFC fights that turn into a grapple fest are equally dull. Although I used to box and I understand and appreciate Mayweather, but I don't want to watch him do it. Same way I love playing football but a spectator would just see a load of men scrambling around a vegetable patch aimlessly lumping a football with limited entertainment value. 

Fair enough, I take your point- but your analogy falls down a bit unless you are the greatest defensive footballer the world has ever seen? In which case please let Johnson know asap!

I think we can agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It just grates a bit when people with no idea- and I'm not putting you in that category of course- slag off Floyd because they don't understand his style or his genius.

Back to the topic, I like McGregor's screw you attitude and admire his timing. I still think he should have wound his neck in a bit after tapping out against Nate after all his talk of dying before giving up though.

Rumours are his next fight might be Tyler Woodley for the welterweight belt. People are already annoyed that McGregor got a title shot at lightweight vs Alvarez anyway but if he gets catapulted to another title shot in a higher weight there'll be big questions about the integrity of UFC.

Woodley is a much bigger man than McGregor and might be too powerful anyway but McGregor looks fantastic at the moment. It was a brilliant performance against Alvarez and he looked in a different league. Don't think it'll be for a few months anyway as McGregor will take some time off for the birth of his child. 

The Woodley vs Wonderboy fight before McGregor was a great fight, really close. I like UFC but ultimately prefer boxing, McGregor's publicity generating antics and outbursts do make it much more watchable for me though!

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Fair enough, I take your point- but your analogy falls down a bit unless you are the greatest defensive footballer the world has ever seen? In which case please let Johnson know asap!

I think we can agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It just grates a bit when people with no idea- and I'm not putting you in that category of course- slag off Floyd because they don't understand his style or his genius.

Back to the topic, I like McGregor's screw you attitude and admire his timing. I still think he should have wound his neck in a bit after tapping out against Nate after all his talk of dying before giving up though.

I think a better analogy would be Claude Makelele. The best defensive player I've ever seen in terms of reading the game and being in the right place at the right time. He rarely needed to produce a big tackle just mopped up beautifully and a joy to watch before playing a simple pass to a team mate. However you would not want a team of Makelele's. Mayweather has too many Makelele's.

3 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Well said. As an amateur boxer, you can't help but admire Mayweather's skills. That said, doesn't make it necessarily entertaining to watch for the general public at large, who, let's be honest, want to see 2 rough blokes knocking 10 bells out of each other, such as Ward v Gatti or Haggler v Hearns.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:49, Captain Hindsight said:

It's all about the precision and not the power - he says it himself ;)

The guy has UFC in his back pocket. They more or less loathe the guy. Can't be without him, but wish otherwise. Very smart PR & approach to everything about his 'game'.

The money talks.

Bored off of boxing; it's so tame/lame compared to the skill, hard work, excitement and brute of MMA.

Yep, the precision he used to knock-out Alvarez was exceptional.  I've watched the final sequence of punches about 15 times now, and I'm amazed by the effortless way he swerved to avoid a flailing fist, and at the same time, threw his right through the gap in the middle of the guard, and perfectly landed on the centre of Alvarez's face, even as Alvarez was falling to the side.

I remain a big boxing fan, and would love to see McGregor conquer both sports!

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Yep, the precision he used to knock-out Alvarez was exceptional.  I've watched the final sequence of punches about 15 times now, and I'm amazed by the effortless way he swerved to avoid a flailing fist, and at the same time, threw his right through the gap in the middle of the guard, and perfectly landed on the centre of Alvarez's face, even as Alvarez was falling to the side.

I remain a big boxing fan, and would love to see McGregor conquer both sports!

I would be very interested to see how Conor got on with boxing, i'm sure he could ko pretty much anyone near his weight class, with his speed, movement and timing.

I wonder how Mayweather would react getting hit by Conor with UFC gloves on...

5 hours ago, yardy said:

I would be very interested to see how Conor got on with boxing, i'm sure he could ko pretty much anyone near his weight class, with his speed, movement and timing.

I wonder how Mayweather would react getting hit by Conor with UFC gloves on...

He wouldn't get hit - enough boxers have tried over the years and failed! 

27 minutes ago, yardy said:

I think that's a bit naive to say that with Conor's striking abilities!

I can't see them fighting anyway, i don't expect Mayweather would like to lose his legacy.

More likely to see them have some sort of shite battle in WWE 

Archived