IGNORED

Conor McGregor

BS3_RED

10 hours ago, yardy said:

I think that's a bit naive to say that with Conor's striking abilities!

I can't see them fighting anyway, i don't expect Mayweather would like to lose his legacy.

Mayweather would outclass McGregor in boxing, the same way McGregor would school Mayweather if it was MMA rules. If they did end up fighting, using boxing rules, McGregor would be exposed. 

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Mayweather would outclass McGregor in boxing, the same way McGregor would school Mayweather if it was MMA rules. If they did end up fighting, using boxing rules, McGregor would be exposed. 

How about Kick Boxing? Keeps it on the feet to favour Mayweather but allows Conor to strike in a way Mayweather is not used to.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

How about Kick Boxing? Keeps it on the feet to favour Mayweather but allows Conor to strike in a way Mayweather is not used to.

McGregor would win, longer reach and big power from kicks. Floyd would have to learn a whole new discipline before that could happen. I was reading a thread on Sherdog the MMA forum where they thought a reasonable compromise might be 4lb MMA gloves and rules where clinching and strikes to the thigh area were allowed. That would be quite interesting but still think Mayweather would win easily if he was able to pick him off without McGregor getting too close.

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

McGregor would win, longer reach and big power from kicks. Floyd would have to learn a whole new discipline before that could happen. I was reading a thread on Sherdog the MMA forum where they thought a reasonable compromise might be 4lb MMA gloves and rules where clinching and strikes to the thigh area were allowed. That would be quite interesting but still think Mayweather would win easily if he was able to pick him off without McGregor getting too close.

Yes you are quite right. If I was Conor I'd be pushing for straight up boxing. Even if he lost the fight, he wouldn't lose really as he isn't a 'boxer'.

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Yes you are quite right. If I was Conor I'd be pushing for straight up boxing. Even if he lost the fight, he wouldn't lose really as he isn't a 'boxer'.

Nothing to lose for him really, would be expected to lose, massive payday either way, expands his fame and brand (strengthens his case for equity in that UFC brand he wants).. but if he somehow wins.. the prestige would be amazing. He won't go into training for that fight if it happened preparing for a loss either.. he'd believe he can win as bonkers as it sounds

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Nothing to lose for him really, would be expected to lose, massive payday either way, expands his fame and brand (strengthens his case for equity in that UFC brand he wants).. but if he somehow wins.. the prestige would be amazing. He won't go into training for that fight if it happened preparing for a loss either.. he'd believe he can win as bonkers as it sounds

Hmmm, watching Conor in interviews, when he actually decides to answer a question sensibly, I think that he is a very intelligent man, at least when it come to fighting. He knows that he would be a massive underdog. I suppose that he'd expect to lose but have the belief that he could win.

7 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Hmmm, watching Conor in interviews, when he actually decides to answer a question sensibly, I think that he is a very intelligent man, at least when it come to fighting. He knows that he would be a massive underdog. I suppose that he'd expect to lose but have the belief that he could win.

It's all about self belief. Sportsmen like him with his sort of mentality do not believe they can lose. It's drummed into them by coaches. There's a type of psychology behind it (can't remember the name) where the athlete is made to picture winning that fight or match in everything they do. It's quite interesting and I'll try and find a link.

He wouldn't be allowed to believe he could lose because if he did, he would be at a disadvantage. At top level where the 0.1%'s make a difference it's seen as useful. 

I would really like to see this fight. Not because I think it would be a good contest but because it would be fun. The buildup would be fun and all the promo stuff.

2 hours ago, yardy said:

Well yea...

Did I misunderstand what you wrote? I thought you were saying McGregor has a chance if they fought with boxing rules.. he would lose easily under boxing rules 

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's all about self belief. Sportsmen like him with his sort of mentality do not believe they can lose. It's drummed into them by coaches. There's a type of psychology behind it (can't remember the name) where the athlete is made to picture winning that fight or match in everything they do. It's quite interesting and I'll try and find a link.

He wouldn't be allowed to believe he could lose because if he did, he would be at a disadvantage. At top level where the 0.1%'s make a difference it's seen as useful. 

I would really like to see this fight. Not because I think it would be a good contest but because it would be fun. The buildup would be fun and all the promo stuff.

Did I misunderstand what you wrote? I thought you were saying McGregor has a chance if they fought with boxing rules.. he would lose easily under boxing rules 

Where have i said Conor would win under boxing rules? are you seeing things?

On 18/11/2016 at 02:09, yardy said:

I think that's a bit naive to say that with Conor's striking abilities!

I can't see them fighting anyway, i don't expect Mayweather would like to lose his legacy.

8 minutes ago, yardy said:

Where have i said Conor would win under boxing rules? are you seeing things?

?? You're clearly saying he's got a chance. I didn't say you said he'd 'win'.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

?? You're clearly saying he's got a chance. I didn't say you said he'd 'win'.

Ok ok if they do fight then yes Conor does have a chance, as i said before with his striking abilities you can't write him off.

Of course if it was a straight boxing fight then Floyd would be a massive favourite to win.

If they fought with a mix of boxing and mma then Conor would be favourite.

55 minutes ago, yardy said:

Ok ok if they do fight then yes Conor does have a chance, as i said before with his striking abilities you can't write him off.

Of course if it was a straight boxing fight then Floyd would be a massive favourite to win.

If they fought with a mix of boxing and mma then Conor would be favourite.

Except that won't happen because Floyd isn't a pro fighter in any other disciplines than boxing. At best it would be a boxing match with enhanced clinching allowed.

Even with his power striking he's still not going to catch Floyd very easily. Mayweather is one of the best defensive boxers of all time and has fought plenty of pro boxers with a hard punch. It would be clear in that arena the gulf in class at boxing between one of the greatest boxers ever and a McGregor.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Except that won't happen because Floyd isn't a pro fighter in any other disciplines than boxing. At best it would be a boxing match with enhanced clinching allowed.

Even with his power striking he's still not going to catch Floyd very easily. Mayweather is one of the best defensive boxers of all time and has fought plenty of pro boxers with a hard punch. It would be clear in that arena the gulf in class at boxing between one of the greatest boxers ever and a McGregor.

I don't think clinching would be allowed, all i'd want is for them to use ufc gloves and for Floyd to get hit in the face by Conor's left and hopefully Floyd ends up on his ass.

In terms of striking ability Conor is the best i have ever seen in ufc followed by Anderson (the spider) Silva.

5 hours ago, yardy said:

I don't think clinching would be allowed, all i'd want is for them to use ufc gloves and for Floyd to get hit in the face by Conor's left and hopefully Floyd ends up on his ass.

In terms of striking ability Conor is the best i have ever seen in ufc followed by Anderson (the spider) Silva.

Good luck with the hitting part

Archived