IGNORED

Reading Away - Walking back to the train station

Fat Cigar

Afternoon all,

I know Reading put on shuttle buses to and from the ground from the train station both before and after the match.

Assuming the buses are heaving/not wanting to wait ages to get on one (applies more for after the game I imagine), is it possible to walk to the ground and back? I know it's about 3 miles away.

9 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Afternoon all,

I know Reading put on shuttle buses to and from the ground from the train station both before and after the match.

Assuming the buses are heaving/not wanting to wait ages to get on one (applies more for after the game I imagine), is it possible to walk to the ground and back? I know it's about 3 miles away.

I think it will be down to the police, they always seem to Sheppard you these days

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

In theory yes you can, but it is a heck of a walk.

Buses go on dual carriageway, so guess you'd have to walk on the B road etc shown below

Capture.PNG

Yeah, that was my worry. Having to walk along main roads, if it's even possible. 

Thanks. Will probably just wait for a bus then. 

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

I normally get the bus, by the time we walk around the ground to get back to them there is rarely even a queue to wait in

I've just been reading all about the delights of the bus network to and from the ground. Looks like it's the F1 I want. £3.50 for a single!! 

43 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Afternoon all,

I remember being forced to walk back from the ground to the station with police horses breathing down our necks, must have been around '00/'01. I was actually staying in Reading that night but was still pushed onto the platform at the station.

Drinking in the Weatherspoons in Reading centre before the game, there was a row of police horses outside the pub and City fans were being guided out and made to buy return tickets to the ground on a designated bus. little did we know we'd never been given the chance of using the return leg of the ticket!

47 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Thanks. Will probably just wait for a bus then. 

If you're worried the buses laid on outside the ground will be busy or take ages to get away, cross the dual carriageway, cut across the industrial estate to the B road that runs parallel to the dual carriageway (B3031 on the map I think - the one with the pub on it that City often go in) and there are local buses that run up and down there, all the way into the centre of town and the station. Did it last season and worked out very quick to be back in town.

4 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I remember being forced to walk back from the ground to the station with police horses breathing down our necks, must have been around '00/'01. I was actually staying in Reading that night but was still pushed onto the platform at the station.

Drinking in the Weatherspoons in Reading centre before the game, there was a row of police horses outside the pub and City fans were being guided out and made to buy return tickets to the ground on a designated bus. little did we know we'd never been given the chance of using the return leg of the ticket!

1st game of 99/00 season...the gerard lavin game...quite lively before game in the town if memory serves...then some doughnuts decided to rearrange the busses en route hence the ob deciding it was shanks' pony going back

5 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Bloody horses..... when they act like that is it any wonder they occasionally get a punch from a football fan! ;) 

(equine fascists - give 'em an inch and they'll take a furlong) 

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 15:06, Red Rum said:

That might have been the year the windows fell out of the busses on the way to the ground, then the bus company refused to pick us up for the return journey

On 14/11/2016 at 14:14, Fat Cigar said:

Afternoon all,

If it helps...

IMG_5896.PNG

I live in Reading

Can you walk yes, do you want to? Not really, its a long ass walk and no where to stop on the way for a cider. 

For groups (3 or more) of city fans its cheaper to get a taxi in a group from the station than to get the shuttle buses absolute joke of a price. 

For those that haven't been in a while the station is new and much bigger so make sure when you come out you now come out the town centre of the station (usually larger crowd going towards that exit)

In terms of pubs Reading have turned even worse for allowing away fans anywhere. Obviously Three Guineas (station pub) still allow away fans and the couple of Irish pubs (O'Niels and The Gateway) both 30 second walk from station. Any of the weatherspoons will ID you now/check tickets so limits you to options in town centre. I have even been turned away from going to these pubs on return from city games due to me wearing colours or whatever silly excuse they throw my way. 

On the plus side cider is now more available in Reading these days!

Any questions for travel/the area ill reply to 

3 hours ago, CityFarAndWide said:

I live in Reading

Can you walk yes, do you want to? Not really, its a long ass walk and no where to stop on the way for a cider. 

For groups (3 or more) of city fans its cheaper to get a taxi in a group from the station than to get the shuttle buses absolute joke of a price. 

For those that haven't been in a while the station is new and much bigger so make sure when you come out you now come out the town centre of the station (usually larger crowd going towards that exit)

In terms of pubs Reading have turned even worse for allowing away fans anywhere. Obviously Three Guineas (station pub) still allow away fans and the couple of Irish pubs (O'Niels and The Gateway) both 30 second walk from station. Any of the weatherspoons will ID you now/check tickets so limits you to options in town centre. I have even been turned away from going to these pubs on return from city games due to me wearing colours or whatever silly excuse they throw my way. 

On the plus side cider is now more available in Reading these days!

Any questions for travel/the area ill reply to 

I agree with a lot of this about the pubs, having living in Basingstoke on a night out we often go out in Reading, I've never known such an anal town to try n get around in, Any kind of trainers are strictly not allowed either, even my DM's where told they weren't allowed and never known a place to be so strict on ID

The train station looks more like an airport these days too and on a match day as per usual the BTP are out on force thinking they are the hardest force ever. Lots of banned Reading attending, been told it's gonna get tasty :( I just wanna enjoy the footy tbh

34 minutes ago, tommytank1985 said:

Am staying on bath road in some dive of a hotel, is that near the centre and pubs? 

How far down do you know? Its a long ass road (if you google map you will see) but yeah straight forward to get into the town/pubs

Either way its just one straight road into the town centre, just hopefully not to far down it!

If it were me, I would get Number 6 Bus from the Station and down Basingstoke Road then walk down Bennet Road to the ground. You could also get a pint in The World Turned Upside Down (or whatever it's named these days) Pub.

Could even pick up a Bacon sarnie from Chubbies (outside Jewsons)

3 hours ago, Super said:

best places to park?

If you come off the m4 and head towards majeski you come to a roundabout( 1st 1 I think) last exit off roundabout and a hundred yards on your right is car park, was £5 last year and easy to get to and quick to get back onto motorway

Archived