IGNORED

Is there anyone...

AshtonGreat

12 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think the clamour for a winter break has died down of late as it's pretty clear that in the last 3 tournaments we have not gone out because of tiredness.  It wold be a farce having a break as teams would use it to go training or go on tour or whatever.

Yeah they probably would - good point. It's not like it would guarantee success anyway. We'd probably endure a month of no club football, only to get knocked out of the next Euros in the semis instead of the quarters. Whooppee!

Given the number of international players most clubs have, from all corners of the globe, not sure England would benefit that much.

Especially as I would expect most clubs to hotfoot it over to Asia or the States to try and get as many money making matches played as possible to increase their overseas support, sell some merchandise and try and grow 'their brand'.

I have total sympathy for our premier league footballers. Surely it is insane to ask them to play for 90 minutes twice a week for nine months a year?

At the very least, if we aren't going to give them a month off in the middle, we should double their pay as compensation.

Meanwhile, people in soft jobs like doctors and prison guards have the check to bleat on that life is hard. Pah!

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

...who is still calling for a 'winter break' from club football to boost our international team? I can't think of anything worse! 

Never mind just a winter break, how about a year long? Save an awful lot of misery for us City supporters. Dislike Christmas fixtures, we never do well anyway, all it does is taint Christmas. Baa Humbug. 

13 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

I have total sympathy for our premier league footballers. Surely it is insane to ask them to play for 90 minutes twice a week for nine months a year?

At the very least, if we aren't going to give them a month off in the middle, we should double their pay as compensation.

Meanwhile, people in soft jobs like doctors and prison guards have the check to bleat on that life is hard. Pah!

Mad Cyril living up to your name you missed out an a or I have the giantist of whooshes

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I think it's generally accepted that "winter break" means January rather than affecting the Christmas programme.

Seems still a very grey area . . .

Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore has backed Sam Allardyce's call for a winter break and says talks are ongoing about introducing one into the English league calendar.

Allardyce has been consistent in his desire for a post-Christmas break and as England manager he now has even more of a vested interest in players not being too tired come the end of the season, using his first press conference as national team boss to reiterate the point. 

"It would help the Premier League and us at international level if we could achieve that," he said. "January and February is always the most difficult time to get players through."

And Scudamore told Sky Sports News HQ: "We are not against it, a winter break. We are in discussions with the FA and Football League, it's an integrated calendar. 

"I don't know how close or near or far we are because I wouldn't want to compromise those negotiations, but if the three bodies come up with a solution we then have to road test that with the clubs, the fans and everything else.

"There is a willingness to try and make it happen but I can't put anything like a time scale on it. I think if it was easy it would have been done already."

FA chief executive Martin Glenn said his association were also in favour of a break, but said it would not be feasible until the current three-year television rights deal is completed. 

"There is a consensus that it would be a good thing to do," he said. "We can do our bit about fixture congestion and that's why from the quarter-finals [of the FA Cup this season] we're not going to replays."

Glenn also hinted that the timing of the break may be pushed back to January.

"What scared people about winter breaks in the past is the thought of it being between Boxing Day and New Year but it doesn't have to be then. It can be after the FA Cup third round in mid-January."

I get the impression that some in the game think a winter break is the answer to the England team becoming some kind of world football force.

Not having a winter break doesn't seem to effect all the foreign players playing in the Prem, when it comes to Euros and World cups they all seem to have no problem, perhaps it's actually the lack of skill and technique  that is the real problem why English players struggle, not tiredness. 

I laugh at some of these managers who tell us their players are tired 10 games into the season, these are the same players who spend most of pre season flying around the world playing friendlies in far off countries. All because these massively rich clubs want to make even more money. Bullocks to the premier league!

2 hours ago, shelts said:

It's all aimed at the top end of the game as usual. Personally why not play on Christmas Day like we used to?

Stop the Prem clubs touring whenever they get five minutes spare. They have huge squads use them. 

That final sentence is key. With so many of the Premiership teams fielding the majority (sometimes all) of their first 11 from overseas, what would England as a team benefit from it? If they're so worried about the little darlings playing too much and tiring themselves out, then start fielding your younger homegrown players, and using that huge squad that so many of them have.

The reason the national team do so badly in tournaments is not because they're tired, it's because so few English players get the experience of playing top flight football regularly.

Are England not a force to be reckoned with on the world stage more to do with the fact that with the odd exception are players are not of the calibre needed to challenge at the business end of tournaments. A winter break wont help. Investing more at grass roots level possibly would.

• Admin
36 minutes ago, gl1 said:

Are England not a force to be reckoned with on the world stage more to do with the fact that with the odd exception are players are not of the calibre needed to challenge at the business end of tournaments. A winter break wont help. Investing more at grass roots level possibly would.

The FA are one of those that bring massive amounts of money to the table with TV rights etc - am sure they will almost hold the "trump card"

On 16/11/2016 at 15:27, phantom said:

Of course we all know what would happen, all the Prem teams would head off for "warm weather training" and cash in with friendlies abroad !

On 16/11/2016 at 16:43, Portland Bill said:

I get the impression that some in the game think a winter break is the answer to the England team becoming some kind of world football force.

Not having a winter break doesn't seem to effect all the foreign players playing in the Prem, when it comes to Euros and World cups they all seem to have no problem, perhaps it's actually the lack of skill and technique  that is the real problem why English players struggle, not tiredness. 

I laugh at some of these managers who tell us their players are tired 10 games into the season, these are the same players who spend most of pre season flying around the world playing friendlies in far off countries. All because these massively rich clubs want to make even more money. Bullocks to the premier league!

I'm actually in favour of a mid-season break as a concept.

But if our clubs want it to recharge their players batteries, then you can't jet off to play friendlies in Asia.  Cake and eat it imho!

The other factor is whether it is blanket or just top division?  Cashflow for many clubs is very tight and say two weeks without income would be a huge impact.

Wasnt the break often mooted as a mitigant to postponed fixtures back in the day?  With our weather, you couldn't possibly fix it based on that!

Archived