IGNORED

Do you know what kills an atmosphere stone dead?

Ago

"Sing up you c****" 

"Whats the point in  f***** being here if you aren't gonna sing?"

"We're an embarsasment - We're an embarassment"

etc. etc.

This is something that has come up at both the QPR game and the Birmingham game yesterday.  
There was a thread on here about the atmosphere at QPR being flat, and while yesterday at St. Andrews wasn't too bad it still wasn't up to the usual City away standard imho- but the blokes who shout this sort of stuff - I reckon are as much a part of the problem as these "day trippers" they like to shout abuse at. 

Now this might be a hard one to get through some of these bloke's heads, cos it's quite clear we're dealing with some special cases here - but guess what - calling your own fans c**** isn't going to make them want to sing your little songs with you. Do you know what happens instead? You start singing, and then other fans who bloody love a sing song instinctively feel - why should I sing along with these p****s? 

Also you are p*****g everybody off. Immediately there's an uneasy feeling of hostility. Nobodys speaking out and having a go, partly because the main genius behind calling his own fans c****s and w*****s had his young son with him, and also because a good section of our fanbase aren't at a game to cause a ruck and have a row with someone! (How mad is that?) But to actually watch and enjoy a game of football. Something which is hard to do in the company of these people. 

So if anyone reading this who has/or thinks that the "abuse/intimidate our fans into singing" method is the way to improve the away day atmosphere. I promise you mate, it doesn't work. Hopefully you will stop and think - actually maybe I'm part of the problem and should probably stop being a belter and just enjoy the game.   

They are obviously idiots. Totally agree that something needs to be done both home and away. We all know where it happens at home games so maybe section 82 need to have a word with the offenders. S82 try hard but they aren't going to increase their numbers with the abuse stemming from "their end". 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

They are obviously idiots. Totally agree that something needs to be done both home and away. We all know where it happens at home games so maybe section 82 need to have a word with the offenders. S82 try hard but they aren't going to increase their numbers with the abuse stemming from "their end". 

How does everything go back to S82, it's getting ridiculous that they now have to take responsibility for some fans calling another fan a **** away from home 

I go away with some of the lads who would be known as influential people within  S82 and I can tell you for a fact we keep ourselves to ourselves on away days preferring to do our own thing and certainly don't go around calling other fans *****. 

People can be responsible for themselves, **** all to do with S82

Seems to me this sort of thing started when some ***** from the atyeo, quite a lot of them actually, aimed songs at the dolman calling them c***s which was subsequently passed off as "banter".

Well, I'm sorry but the minute you start slagging off your own fans when you have a) plenty of away fans to aim you vitriol at and b) a team to support, then it's a slippery slope to the sort of shit the OP experienced yesterday.

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

i assume the person in question told you he has a season ticket in the atyeo & is an active member of s82? Otherwise I see no reason for you suggesting he/she is from section 82? As it is I was near the back of the stand to the right & think I know who you are talking about, if so I can honestly say I have never seen them in the atyeo (I may be wrong of course & do not want to jump to any conclusions that this person sits in a certain area of the ground without knowing the truth, but I suppose that's just my opinion). Lets not spread rumours about other city fans just because they don't support the team in the same way you do. 

Okay I'm going to play Devils Advocate  so calm down before you get yourselves worked up. Before I start I just want to say that calling anyone a **** in any circumstances really isn't on (bar a few exceptions). However may I present some mitigating circumstances. It is not socially easy to start a song or maintain in when few are joining in. If I was making an effort I'd quite like some people to join in to stop me from looking like a 'billy no mates'. Personally if I'm singing on my own at City and I occasionally do, if nothing comes of it after a few times my frustration leads to me just shutting up. However I can see why frustrations may come out in other ways. Like I said not excusing the guy but in my experience it is very frustrating when you try hard but feel like you're getting no reward at the cost of social embarrassment

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

There is, frankly, only one solution. Report those persistently using foul and abusive language to a steward and let them deal with it.

And maybe it's time for the Club to start dealing with it at home games. 

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

2 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Seems to me this sort of thing started when some ***** from the atyeo, quite a lot of them actually, aimed songs at the dolman calling them c***s which was subsequently passed off as "banter".

Well, I'm sorry but the minute you start slagging off your own fans when you have a) plenty of away fans to aim you vitriol at and b) a team to support, then it's a slippery slope to the sort of shit the OP experienced yesterday.

How odd, the OP didn't mention the Atyeo or 'S82' but they've somehow been dragged into this. I've heard that sort of thing happen for years, it's not a new phenomenon after that isolated incident last year which still gets referenced an inordinate amount of times.

6 hours ago, Chivs said:

I thought you were going to say "Being a Birmingham City supporter".  Libraryesque  :whistle:

Although, for the first time, I heard the song that ends in the c-word and thought "I don't want any of that". :no:

I'm with you there, Chivs.

And on a more esoteric point, I've never understood why the "c-word" is a term of abuse. Speaking personally, I like them!  :devil:

Archived