IGNORED

Do you know what kills an atmosphere stone dead?

Ago

Overpowering irrelevant music pre kick off hardly helps. Not being allowed to take alcohol into the stands either- though the latter would require a law change.

But our away atmosphere in my experience has been disappointing. I have wanted to have a sing song but when nobody around you is, what's the point- admittedly only three away games in the last few years, people sitting down on away days is also poor.

I was at the QPR game at the end of last season. In front of me was this lad (sat on his own) who was trying to get some singing going. He sounded like a Hippo having a circumcision and spent his time gurning at all the "big boys" further up the stand. I doubt he saw a ball kicked. Sometimes it is the singers who are the embarrassment especially when they then turn their abuse to a stand full of women and kids. Some of you really need to grow the **** up.

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Overpowering irrelevant music pre kick off hardly helps. Not being allowed to take alcohol into the stands either- though the latter would require a law change.

But our away atmosphere in my experience has been disappointing. I have wanted to have a sing song but when nobody around you is, what's the point- admittedly only three away games in the last few years, people sitting down on away days is also poor.

Agree. It's no coincidence that all the noisiest away support in the country all stand.

The best away games I've been to with us are the ones where the majority (or all that can) stand. Much harder to make noise sat down. I wish our support abided by the unwritten rule that away ends are unreserved.. singers towards back and people that want to sit towards the front. 

42 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Surely the real answer to the question is all seating stadiums.  Atmosphere would be incredible with large, safe areas of standing.

Ah, we can only dream....

For me this is a bit of a false dawn imo. Fans still stand at every ground across the country and it is still pretty crap. Safe Standing will help but it will by no means overcome the now ingrained mentality of British football fans to 'Keep it down and watch the game'. For me we need a cultural shift. Perhaps standing can start that shift but it'll take years (maybe even a generation) for atmospheres to really improve again.

8 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

For me this is a bit of a false dawn imo. Fans still stand at every ground across the country and it is still pretty crap. Safe Standing will help but it will by no means overcome the now ingrained mentality of British football fans to 'Keep it down and watch the game'. For me we need a cultural shift. Perhaps standing can start that shift but it'll take years (maybe even a generation) for atmospheres to really improve again.

Think the ageing demographic doesn't help. No statistical evidence but I think lots of guys who were in their teens/20s in the 70s and 80s are now past making atmosphere at games. It's a top heavy pyramid as football is a bit expensive for boisterous younger guys to go to in groups these days, unlike those times. 

Look around AG on a match day, not that many groups of late teen/20s lads in groups. Many more older fans.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think the ageing demographic doesn't help. No statistical evidence but I think lots of guys who were in their teens/20s in the 70s and 80s are now past making atmosphere at games. It's a top heavy pyramid as football is a bit expensive for boisterous younger guys to go to in groups these days, unlike those times. 

Look around AG on a match day, not that many groups of late teen/20s lads in groups. Many more older fans.

As someone in their early 20's, I was in a minority of people at school that supported City or Rovers. 90% of our school year was United or Arsenal as they were the two best sides between 98 and 05 when we got into football. The Premier League and FIFA (computer game) generation at its finest. 

That said in the Atyeo, lots of the people in their 20's and teens (and most other ages to be fair) just stand cross armed for 90 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

As someone in their early 20's, I was in a minority of people at school that supported City or Rovers. 90% of our school year was United or Arsenal as they were the two best sides between 98 and 05 when we got into football. The Premier League and FIFA (computer game) generation at its finest. 

That said in the Atyeo, lots of the people in their 20's and teens (and most other ages to be fair) just stand cross armed for 90 minutes. 

We're of similar age then and that applies to me too. Think the combination of prices, lack of local success and more accessibility to Prem clubs has made this the case. A real shame.

5 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

its the old chicken and the egg, the game is poor, so we are  quiet, so in turn the players are uninspired. sometimes its up to us to get the players going, but when it's a crap game it can be hard

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We're of similar age then and that applies to me too. Think the combination of prices, lack of local success and more accessibility to Prem clubs has made this the case. A real shame.

My Season ticket this year was £109 for a 21 (although now 22) year old. Brilliant value, but I don't think enough young people know that an u-19 ticket in any seat in the ground is below £100.

13 hours ago, shelts said:

I must admit I sit at games. I like to clap and sing on the odd occasion. Mostly I'm biting my nails nails engrossed in the game so it passes me by. Anyone the same as me?!!

I agree, I go to games to watch the match. Don't really care what the crowd is like. I may sing now and again but it doesn't worry me if the crowd is quiet all game. (other than the fact it probably means we are losing)

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

its the old chicken and the egg, the game is poor, so we are  quiet, so in turn the players are uninspired. sometimes its up to us to get the players going, but when it's a crap game it can be hard

So singing " what the ****** hell is that" at the opposition mascot inspires our players ?  Somehow I think not.

22 minutes ago, pillred said:

I did not advocate swearing, I just meant it can be hard to get  exited when the game is poor, and that's when we can make a difference and inspire the players, but what comes first us or them

We always come first but no need to behave like complete Neanderthal toss pots in the process.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree. It's no coincidence that all the noisiest away support in the country all stand.

The best away games I've been to with us are the ones where the majority (or all that can) stand. Much harder to make noise sat down. I wish our support abided by the unwritten rule that away ends are unreserved.. singers towards back and people that want to sit towards the front. 

Yep always hard to make a noise when seated. Up near back of stand for me next away game I think...I hope.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep always hard to make a noise when seated. Up near back of stand for me next away game I think...I hope.

Our away support can be really good vocally. Much better than average. We've got a good variety of songs and can be really loud.

Problem is it's which version of our away support we get.. certain games we just seem up for it; everyone stands, everyone joins in and no one checks their seat number (Charlton away last season for example) 

other times everyone stands before the game and then as soon as kick off happens you get that domino horrible moment where 80% sit down at once and the atmosphere is, at best, sporadically mediocre. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Our away support can be really good vocally. Much better than average. We've got a good variety of songs and can be really loud.

Problem is it's which version of our away support we get.. certain games we just seem up for it; everyone stands, everyone joins in and no one checks their seat number (Charlton away last season for example) 

other times everyone stands before the game and then as soon as kick off happens you get that domino horrible moment where 80% sit down at once and the atmosphere is, at best, sporadically mediocre. 

Charlton away was okay but not that amazing I thought. I was down the front, I had a few, I wanted to have a sing song but though it was the best away atmosphere I recall, it was still not too great. I know what you mean by that domino effect thing though. I was near the front at the Charlton and it didn't seem too great- decent but not amazing.

The other away games I was at were very mediocre- I will never forget Palace away Jan 2011- stewards came round told away fans to sit and we all bloody complied!! Ridiculous at least in the middleish/lower part of the stand. 

Dear God - when I take my 13 year-old daughter to her first away game this weekend (apart from Wembley), I do pray that I do not encounter such behaviour. Amen

Anyhow - IMO the issue with atmosphere (I've posted similar before), is why we want to create it in the first place. Who is this 'atmosphere' for? It seems as if certain individuals simply want to re-create what they see on YouTube or watch on films. (Just for the record, I think Section82 (having never been in the Atyeo for years) are doing a good job of creating something that is unique to City, so hats off).

One of the best away atmospheres I have ever encountered was at a testimonial match; Norwich v Celtic (I was in the Celtic end). Literally 2 hours of non-stop singing and partying. It probably looked equally intimidating and impressive, and was certainly commented on by the Norwich fans for being top notch. The fact is - the Celtic fans just wanted to party. They didn't want to try and force something that no-one was really sure of anyway. For about an hour we just sang the same song over and over and over again. It was mental - people were literally going mad. BUT IT WAS FUN.

Turning up in a CP jumper and swearing at everyone isn't fun (for everyone).

If people want everyone to sing, it has to appeal to everyone, and allow everyone to join in.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Have you ever thought that people who sit at games might have a reason to.......

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm in this demographic. Stood in the East End in the 70's. It's great when the atmosphere is 'electric' at home and away games (Fulham away in the league for example) but was it great because we were winning and scoring goals? I didn't make Birmingham this weekend gone but did manage Cardiff away last month. It was difficult to join in with the singing when the game is dour. Us 'old uns' (well me at least) will join in with the singing but struggle when the game is poor.

I do agree with the op. I don't like being told to sing. 

Some people will probably scoff, but I think there could be merit in employing 'atmosphere generators' at home games. I'm thinking a town crier-type person in every section who just starts the singing to motivate the team. I realise that sounds very American, and could annoy the hell out of some people (including me, to be honest), but the very reason that there's no atmosphere at matches is because very few people have the balls to start a song. And even when someone does, it tends to peter out into a damp squib after a few seconds. 

Archived