IGNORED

How the top players think

TinMan's left peg

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Once again it is proof that the "top two inches" are the most important piece of equipment for a footballer, or any other sportsman for that matter, to rise above the crowd.

My wife always tells me that 2 inches are plenty, but I'm not sure she'a right...

49 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

This is disappointing, I was hoping this was about Henderson and Lallana going to a strip club

In their case it is clear how they think -  with the contents of their underwear.

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 14:11, TinMan's left peg said:

Very interesting article about how the top players work. 

t’s more a question of geometry than tactics.” Andrea Pirlo

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/21/heres-a-thought-how-do-footballers-do-what-they-do

It's a fantastic piece. Thanks for sharing.

Two pieces stood out for me. Berkamps quote...

Dennis Bergkamp, one of the game’s great thinkers, has alluded to exhaustive modern-day coaching as one of the reasons players don’t use their own powers of perception enough. “They don’t have to think for themselves any more”, he told Amy Lawrence. “It is all done for them. It’s a problem. If they get a new situation, they look to someone as if to say, ‘What do I have to do now?’” And while Bergkamp was talking specifically about the ability to think critically in the midst of a game, his comments give us a clue as to the lack of faith footballers have in their own ability to self-reflect

How true is that...you hear it so many times these days. Players are now it seems, coached not to think but to do as they are told.

I'm glad LJ encourages players to think for themselves and to make the right decision. It's all good having a game plan, but you have to think and make decisions when things change.

Visualisation was also another great point...I've used it many times when Coaching and Ski Racing and playing Golf. It really does work. The mind can be used so positively using such techniques.

Archived