IGNORED

Not spending Kodja Money

sh1t_ref_again

Whilst we all love Tammy and think he is quality, but is it too much to expect for him to carry the goal scoring load by himself whilst also often playing as the loan striker. We had according to the BBC 25 shots today (Reading 14) with 7 on target, but listening to the radio commentary we did not like sound like scoring (Goal aside) and Tammy had very little opportunities and when he did sounds like his composure and confidence is lost. 

Are we now paying the price of not either preventing Kodja from going or re-investing the money, if we knew it was likely why did we not have a replacement ready, instead of leaving ourselves short.

Not really a moan, but more frustration that we have dropped our early momentum and not getting points from today and last weeks game when we sounded like it was deserved.

24 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Whilst we all love Tammy and think he is quality, but is it too much to expect for him to carry the goal scoring load by himself whilst also often playing as the loan striker. We had according to the BBC 25 shots today (Reading 14) with 7 on target, but listening to the radio commentary we did not like sound like scoring (Goal aside) and Tammy had very little opportunities and when he did sounds like his composure and confidence is lost. 

Are we now paying the price of not either preventing Kodja from going or re-investing the money, if we knew it was likely why did we not have a replacement ready, instead of leaving ourselves short.

Not really a moan, but more frustration that we have dropped our early momentum and not getting points from today and last weeks game when we sounded like it was deserved.

According to Steve Lansdown the Kodjia money didn't cover the expenditure on our other signings so there isn't a heap of money there waiting to be spent

7 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

According to Steve Lansdown the Kodjia money didn't cover the expenditure on our other signings so there isn't a heap of money there waiting to be spent

It might not have done but we made those signings not expecting to sell Kodjia and thus nonetheless it is money that the club had not accounted for receiving (coupled with the removal of a wage the club would have accounted for but are not paying).  Whatever we spent in the summer was an amount that SL had budgeted to spend so surely at least some of the money from Kodjia would be extra spending power on top of that? 

For me, the big mistake was selling Kodjia.  I understand why he was sold, I know the money from Villa was fantastic, but I will take my unhappiness of it to the grave.

Every time Kodjia scores for Villa, it sickens me.  And I feel a damn sight worse when I see Albert's name alongside his.

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

For me, the big mistake was selling Kodjia.  I understand why he was sold, I know the money from Villa was fantastic, but I will take my unhappiness of it to the grave.

Every time Kodjia scores for Villa, it sickens me.  And I feel a damn sight worse when I see Albert's name alongside his.

I believe he made it clear he wanted to leave, thus forcing our hand. 

5 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I belle he made it clear he wanted to leave, thus forcing our hand. 

If that was the case, and I know it was rumoured on here, then the man is a disgrace!

You always wonder though, if we had refused, surely he would have had the class to carry on playing to the best of his ability, otherwise he would've massively sabotaged the rest of his career.

Never understood why people don't consider Tammy to be the Kodjia replacement, for this season at least. In terms of their quality and transfer market value they are similar. Tammy had even displaced Kodjia from the central striker role before he left.

If Kodjia hadn't been likely to leave, we might not have signed Tammy; equally, had we not already had Tammy on the books, we would surely have been less likely to sell Kodjia.

In terms of striking options, we are similar this season to last. I'd say it's more a case of having been one forward short for a couple of years now, rather than not having replaced Kodjia.

9 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

If that was the case, and I know it was rumoured on here, then the man is a disgrace!

You always wonder though, if we had refused, surely he would have had the class to carry on playing to the best of his ability, otherwise he would've massively sabotaged the rest of his career.

It wasn't a rumour, it is a stonewall fact. You can go back and listen/read LJ's & SL's interviews post transfer if you don't want to take my word for it.

12 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

If you were offered a position at another employer on more money and with what you perceived to be greater future potential, would you consider yourself a "disgrace" if you took the job?

25 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Refused to play at Scunthorpe.   

21 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Never understood why people don't consider Tammy to be the Kodjia replacement, for this season at least. In terms of their quality and transfer market value they are similar. Tammy had even displaced Kodjia from the central striker role before he left.

If Kodjia hadn't been likely to leave, we might not have signed Tammy; equally, had we not already had Tammy on the books, we would surely have been less likely to sell Kodjia.

In terms of striking options, we are similar this season to last. I'd say it's more a case of having been one forward short for a couple of years now, rather than not having replaced Kodjia.

I don't think it was a case of LJ deciding Tammy would replace Kodjia as the central striker, it's far more likely that part of the deal with Chelsea means that Tammy must play centrally. That may well have been the reason Kodjia became unhappy and looked for a move.

There is no other reason I can think of, no manager ( unless he was forced to) would take a 20 goal central Championship striker and stick him on the wing to accommodate an 18 year old loan signing.

31 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We have an expensive striker, the manager just refuses to play him

Because he isn't ready yet.

If you spent fifty quid on a turkey* for your Christmas dinner would you tuck in to it after half an hour in the oven because you were a bit peckish?

*obviously, I'll be having swan this year. 

18 minutes ago, Bowie said:

Refused to play at Scunthorpe.   

Close. Requested not to play. LJ agreed and fined him.

7 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I don't think it was a case of LJ deciding Tammy would replace Kodjia as the central striker, it's far more likely that part of the deal with Chelsea means that Tammy must play centrally. That may well have been the reason Kodjia became unhappy and looked for a move.

There is no other reason I can think of, no manager ( unless he was forced to) would take a 20 goal central Championship striker and stick him on the wing to accommodate an 18 year old loan signing.

I agree. Think it would have been CFC insisting he played centrally.

34 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Isn't that because Tammy has to play a certain amount of games and kodjia was more likely to drift past players then Tammy stuck out wide

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Why isn't he ready? Does anyone actually know?

He need another couple of hours on gas mark 6.

Serious answer though, LJ has said he needs to improve his left foot and heading before he can be considered a regular starter.

I think it's taking a lot of time for people to accept that 'potential' at this level isn't a free transfer, it's a seven figure sum. When players like Kodjia go for 11mil plus, and the Bolassie percentage represent our second biggest sale EVER, people have to be patient and no get too hung up on price.

As others have said the purchases of Tomlin, Magnusson, O'Dowda, Moore and Engvall plus the smaller fees we paid for Brownhill and Lucic were more than we got for Kodjia.

I think the Bolasie sell on (about £5m) is probably what we have left to spend and certainly expect one new arrival up front in January.

Archived