IGNORED

Not spending Kodja Money

sh1t_ref_again

12 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I don't think it was a case of LJ deciding Tammy would replace Kodjia as the central striker, it's far more likely that part of the deal with Chelsea means that Tammy must play centrally. That may well have been the reason Kodjia became unhappy and looked for a move.

There is no other reason I can think of, no manager ( unless he was forced to) would take a 20 goal central Championship striker and stick him on the wing to accommodate an 18 year old loan signing.

No other reason? Here's another reason; he picked the 18 year old in the central role because he was in form and playing better, and didn't jump to the conclusion that he couldn't possibly be as good as the guy who scored 20 goals the previous year.

Now backed up by the fact that Tammy is on course to match or even surpass Kodjia's total from last season.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

He need another couple of hours on gas mark 6.

Serious answer though, LJ has said he needs to improve his left foot and heading before he can be considered a regular starter.

I think it's taking a lot of time for people to accept that 'potential' at this level isn't a free transfer, it's a seven figure sum. When players like Kodjia go for 11mil plus, and the Bolassie percentage represent our second biggest sale EVER, people have to be patient and no get too hung up on price.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Because he isn't ready yet.

If you spent fifty quid on a turkey* for your Christmas dinner would you tuck in to it after half an hour in the oven because you were a bit peckish?

*obviously, I'll be having swan this year. 

Agreed. But you wouldn't put your Turkey on the kitchen counter for six weeks and not expect it to be defrosted...However if you bought one with only one leg then, perhaps you might not have made the best buy?

Anyway enough metaphors concerning Engval and Turkeys :laugh:!

17 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I don't think it was a case of LJ deciding Tammy would replace Kodjia as the central striker, it's far more likely that part of the deal with Chelsea means that Tammy must play centrally. That may well have been the reason Kodjia became unhappy and looked for a move.

There is no other reason I can think of, no manager ( unless he was forced to) would take a 20 goal central Championship striker and stick him on the wing to accommodate an 18 year old loan signing.

I may be wrong but I thought Villa were playing Kodjia out wide with Dwight Gayle as the central striker. In fact I think I have seen Steve Bruce praising JK for being able to play out there.

Which, if correct, suggests that wasn't the reason JK wanted to leave. I think we all know the real reason £££££££. Not that I blame him for that.

Also need to bear in mind that JK  has been playing , predominantly on the left of a quality front three

Far less onus on him alone

With us he was virtually always the lone pinnacle and the irony is that in TA we had just uncovered someone to work in tandem or as part of a three

Even Tammy is probably more suited to playing left or right in a front three or part of an 'old fashioned' pair

Think he's done remarkably well in his goals and all round game as a lone foil (The lack of and speed when it comes in terms of support to him is shocking in all honesty - LT is played as a '10' but plays much more of a wandering role and deeper than a 'conventional 10 ' who works between the defensive / midfield lines of opponents, normally within the 'radar' of the frontman) but I never believed physically alone that we could expect him to lead the line alone all season.

We are in danger of burning him out if we don't change and if we don't recruit an immediate first team er frontman in January

IMHO

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

He need another couple of hours on gas mark 6.

Serious answer though, LJ has said he needs to improve his left foot and heading before he can be considered a regular starter.

I think it's taking a lot of time for people to accept that 'potential' at this level isn't a free transfer, it's a seven figure sum. When players like Kodjia go for 11mil plus, and the Bolassie percentage represent our second biggest sale EVER, people have to be patient and no get too hung up on price.

Agree they shouldn't be hung up on the price but for lee to say he needs to improve his heading and left foot is nonsense,did they not know this when they scouted him. If they did then we have signed a bloke for a couple of millions with a right foot

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I may be wrong but I thought Villa were playing Kodjia out wide with Dwight Gayle as the central striker. In fact I think I have seen Steve Bruce praising JK for being able to play out there.

Which, if correct, suggests that wasn't the reason JK wanted to leave. I think we all know the real reason £££££££. Not that I blame him for that.

When did Gayle sign for the villa,he gets about that lad

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Agree they shouldn't be hung up on the price but for lee to say he needs to improve his heading and left foot is nonsense,did they not know this when they scouted him. If they did then we have signed a bloke for a couple of millions with a right foot

Think that DID know that. And that's the point.

They signed a player they believe they can improve. Making him a Championship regular and ticking a couple of the 5 pillars boxes in the process.

If they wanted (and they probably did) the finished article, then they'd have probably been looking at a fifteen million quid spend, which is probably why Villa paid that for Kodjia.

3 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Spending Kodjia money in January is a catch-up, we need a proper out and out striker that can do it all, he needs to be fairly young and talented but in January we will be paying a premium.

Spot on,I can safely say we won't be in a relegation battle this season so wait till the summer and  get a forward in then. No rush

The good news is that if Tammy continues his 'lean' special, Chelsea might let us loan him back next.

Tomalin is not a wide player. He should be dropped if his contribution behind the striker(s) isn't deemed good enough to play there. Although he will be a very unhappy bench warmer, he did his usual gobbing off today and not much more.

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Any "investor" interested in Bristol City F.C. should understand we don't accept braindead products of dictatorship, money laundring or genocide.

If you are from certain countries and got money we disgust you for what you have done to your own people.

Stay out of our club.

You tell em Tommy :clapping::boxing:

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

No other reason? Here's another reason; he picked the 18 year old in the central role because he was in form and playing better, and didn't jump to the conclusion that he couldn't possibly be as good as the guy who scored 20 goals the previous year.

Now backed up by the fact that Tammy is on course to match or even surpass Kodjia's total from last season.

Kodjia was the 20 goal a season striker that we needed, he didn't deserve to be put out on the right wing, I thought that was bad management at the time. I will stick with my opinion, Chelsea call the shots.

7 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Kodjia was the 20 goal a season striker that we needed, he didn't deserve to be put out on the right wing, I thought that was bad management at the time. I will stick with my opinion, Chelsea call the shots.

At the time Kodjia hadn't scored, whereas Tammy had already started banging them in, and was looking dangerous. Plus Kodjia's game is more adaptable to a wider role than Tammy's out-and-out front man style. It seemed like a reasonable way to get two good players into the team at the time without rearranging the whole setup. That seems like a plausible explanation to me and I don't see any reason to jump to the conclusion that Chelsea are calling the shots.

14 hours ago, reddogkev said:

If that was the case, and I know it was rumoured on here, then the man is a disgrace!

You always wonder though, if we had refused, surely he would have had the class to carry on playing to the best of his ability, otherwise he would've massively sabotaged the rest of his career.

He wanted to go to pastures greener-thats football,thats business,and as esther said.....

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So that's the same Dwight Gayle who plays for Newcastle???!!!

Ha ha. Yep I shouldn't drink and post at the same time. Obviously it wasn't Gayle - it may have been Ayew - but the point stands. Pretty sure Bruce said it was good he could play JK plus a centre forward which gave them a lot of goal power up front.

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

At the time Kodjia hadn't scored, whereas Tammy had already started banging them in, and was looking dangerous. Plus Kodjia's game is more adaptable to a wider role than Tammy's out-and-out front man style. It seemed like a reasonable way to get two good players into the team at the time without rearranging the whole setup. That seems like a plausible explanation to me and I don't see any reason to jump to the conclusion that Chelsea are calling the shots.

Disagree that re 'Tammys out n out front man style'

He has said in I/v that he can play, and is comfortable left or right of a three, as part of a two or as a lone striker

As I've said I think he'd be far more effective in a pair or as part of a mobile / interchanging three

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Disagree that re 'Tammys out n out front man style'

He has said in I/v that he can play, and is comfortable left or right of a three, as part of a two or as a lone striker

As I've said I think he'd be far more effective in a pair or as part of a mobile / interchanging three

Fair enough, I hadn't heard him say that but who am I to disagree.

That said, it doesn't mean that Kodjia wasn't still Johnson's preference in the wide role, and it certainly doesn't mean that Chelsea are necessarily "calling the shots".

21 hours ago, reddogkev said:

If that was the case, and I know it was rumoured on here, then the man is a disgrace!

You always wonder though, if we had refused, surely he would have had the class to carry on playing to the best of his ability, otherwise he would've massively sabotaged the rest of his career.

SL came straight out and said in the press and on radio He was pressured by his family to take the Villa money on offer. So the club changed its mind about selling to a Championship club as they didn't want an unhappy player an 11/15m was too good to tell JK YOU are staying here

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

As others have said the purchases of Tomlin, Magnusson, O'Dowda, Moore and Engvall plus the smaller fees we paid for Brownhill and Lucic were more than we got for Kodjia.

I think the Bolasie sell on (about £5m) is probably what we have left to spend and certainly expect one new arrival up front in January.

Sell on AA plus Agard Williams and Ayling to add to the Bolaise money, but the chairman sanctioned the buys on the basis of not selling Kodjia. So perhaps more money than you think

Archived