IGNORED

Under 23s v Ipswich

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Morrell was someone widely tipped to be our next big thing a few years ago, I know he's still only young but it would be nice to see the likes of him and Dowling getting time on the bench or at least seeming close to the squad. I guess theres a lot of competition in our midfield though.

Morrell struggled to break into the Sutton team when on loan earlier in the season. It would appear he is a fair bit away at the moment for challenging our 1st team squad. Maybe a loan to another conference team or even Weston to get some men's football under his belt.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

You only have to watch the warm ups before games to see just how poor the technique is with some of our players.

Reid, although he has scored a few to be fair, is generally abject in front of goal and is on a par with Freeman in that respect.

But it's just not the shooting is it. Very often when the coach passes to the player, who should return it to the coaches feet so he can knock it to the side for the shot, the return pass is quite often nowhere near the coach and sometimes I have seen the coach actually have to catch the ball in his midriff and throw it sideways for the shot. To me this smacks of sloppiness and if this is allowed throughout the week in training that manifests it self on match days.

Training of technique should be all about perfection to ensure basic football skills like control and passing when under pressure is spot on. If we can't get the basics right when performing drills then we all see the results of this during a match. IMHO In most games we are far behind the opposition in these basic skills.

58 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

But it's just not the shooting is it. Very often when the coach passes to the player, who should return it to the coaches feet so he can knock it to the side for the shot, the return pass is quite often nowhere near the coach and sometimes I have seen the coach actually have to catch the ball in his midriff and throw it sideways for the shot. To me this smacks of sloppiness and if this is allowed throughout the week in training that manifests it self on match days.

Training of technique should be all about perfection to ensure basic football skills like control and passing when under pressure is spot on. If we can't get the basics right when performing drills then we all see the results of this during a match. IMHO In most games we are far behind the opposition in these basic skills.

Spot on and a great point / post IMO

From my scouting days I always like to watch players attitude , professional ism and technique in the warm up to get an initial 'feel' for players - it can be , not always a very telling indicator of what's to come , and is a great way of observing technique, and I'm horrified sometimes at some players focus and somes technique during the shooting warm up

I appreciate they need to relax as well as warm up but some of them treat it as you would having a laugh with your mates in the park with the ball flying wildly everywhere.

This drill should be the time to focus minds and sharpen technique ready for that moment that may come in the following 90 mins unless they are talented enough to not need to

I don't think you will find Andy Murray trying to smash he'll out the ball and joint with others during his pre match routine , or Rory Mclroy trying to hit the ball as hard as he can or trying to 'outdo' the pro warming up next to him

David Beckham , certainly in his early first team days would be out on the pitch 20 mins before the rest of the squad , with cones set out around the pitch , drilling ball after ball at the targets , practicing his passing / range...... and the result ....... one of the best passers England have had for many a decade ..... spooky

Like coaching , IMO the drills should be short sharp and Focussed

I mentioned this in September:

That possession though will come handy in games where we are in the lead. It will likely mean us winning and frustrating the opposition if they have to chase the game. As for the shooting, int he Villa game prematch warm up the players line up, pass the ball to a coach, and run towards goal (from 25 yrds out) the coach passes back and the player takes a shot from 15 yards. The starting 11 all lined up and did this, only 1 player (Reid) scored, 4 had the ball saved, the other 6 all went wide / over (some a long. long way wide - from 15 yrds). They went through this again 2 more times, of the 33 shots I think the ball went in around 10 times in total - 1 v 1 keeper on the line, 15 yrds out.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

We are indeed.

Sloppy little flicks and passes that go to a players wrong foot.

Throw ins that nearly always end up with lost possession - the opposition seem to retain it quite easily.

Or air kicks when using the "wrong" foot ala Little on saturday - embarrassing to say the least, he ended up on his arse trying a simple cross with his left foot with Reading then attacking exactly where he should have been. From attack to defending in 5 seconds due to poor technique.

I agree that the training must leave a lot to be desired if we are seeing this each game (not so much Littles air kick, but the rest of it is prevalent). The opposition always seem more in control of the football than us.

And aimless headers back to the opposition defense. Many teams in this division try to head to a teammate. We just head it as far back the other way most times. Not talking about the goal kicks either. Little ones in the air and we just hit wherever. Winds me up and I've noticed the warm ups as well. The throw ins, set pieces and passes behind players. Things that should be simple for people that get paid to do it well. 

3 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Wonder if he's anywhere near the first team squad?

You would hope so.

Particularly when you consider Freeman, O'Dowda and Paterson (like Tomlin) all appear to be more comfortable playing on the left and De Girolamo is right footed..

LJ said he was "unlucky" not to be in the match day squad, he has scored regularly for the U21s/U23s of late so can't do any more and it isn't as if the others are keeping him out with their brilliant form, is it?

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You would hope so.

Particularly when you consider Freeman, O'Dowda and Paterson (like Tomlin) all appear to be more comfortable playing on the left and De Girolamo is right footed..

LJ said he was "unlucky" not to be in the match day squad, he has scored regularly for the U21s/U23s of late so can't do any more and it isn't as if the others are keeping him out with their brilliant form, is it?

Saw him pre-season Graham and he looked a million miles away from our first team then

Having said that , so did most of them ! ;)

On a serious note - didn't  see anything in him to make me think he will 

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Saw him pre-season Graham and he looked a million miles away from our first team then

Having said that , so did most of them ! ;)

On a serious note - didn't  see anything in him to make me think he will 

Think it's not enough to judge on. He was new, not totally match fit and it's only one or two games you would've seen him in. Need a much bigger sample size before a player should be judged.

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think it's not enough to judge on. He was new, not totally match fit and it's only one or two games you would've seen him in. Need a much bigger sample size before a player should be judged.

Totally accept that PF - Don't get too sensetive ;)

it was just a hunch / view  on imminent first team potential ( as per Graham C's open question ), based on a limited view

Nothing less / Nothing more

As for a longer term prospect , we shall see

On such a small snapshot I certainly wouldn't say he could never do so but not sure I'd back that with a cash bet ;)

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

LJ said recently he is unlucky that he has Tomlin ahead of him because he's been pushing hard. Probably a bit of an exaggeration but it was high praise when he said it. I think he's as close as Lucic is to the first team with those two being leaps and bounds ahead of the rest(who are much younger to be fair to them). 

Must be frustrating being behind the undroppable (in LJ's eyes) Tomlin in the pecking order

Archived