IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Lew-T

I've been watching Joe closely in matches this season and to me, it just looks his heart isn't in it. There is no desire from him and he's been pretty poor all season IMO! 

I'm not knocking him, but I think there's something mentally wrong at the minute. That's what I can gather through body language!

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I've been watching Joe closely in matches this season and to me, it just looks his heart isn't in it. There is no desire from him and he's been pretty poor all season IMO! 

I'm not knocking him, but I think there's something mentally wrong at the minute. That's what I can gather through body language!

I just think he's one of those players that's calm and collected and doesn't look ever fazed. He's a thinker.

I also think he's constantly checking himself and his positioning and trying to do the right thing as a LB.

He has a tendency to lose his positioning and lose shape....often because he wants to get forward.

He's still learning this LB position imo.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I just think he's one of those players that's calm and collected and doesn't look ever fazed. He's a thinker.

I also think he's constantly checking himself and his positioning and trying to do the right thing as a LB.

He has a tendency to lose his positioning and lose shape....often because he wants to get forward.

He's still learning this LB position imo.

If he has to learn it Spud maybe he shouldn't be playing there. I think he should be more of an attacking winger anyway.

3 minutes ago, marmite said:

If he has to learn it Spud maybe he shouldn't be playing there. I think he should be more of an attacking winger anyway.

JB on't be the first player in history to adapt to a new position. It happens. Perhaps they have looked at him, and JB himself, and come to the conclusion that he could be an average wide player, or a very good LB that could get to the Prem. I know Scouts have looked at him from the Prem and Championship as a LB option, and not attacking wide player. What fans see can be totally different to Scouts and managers. He does a lot of good things at LB that also go unnoticed.

Look at Danny Rose as an example when he played for us...I'd argue that JB is just as good as him then, if not better. Now look at Danny Rose now...who'd have thought.

5 minutes ago, marmite said:

I don't think he's naturally creative enough to be a true attacking winger. He's pretty steady in all the attributes required (pace, dribbling, vision, crossing) but not brilliant at any either. He's a pretty good all rounder.

I think with creative attacking players you've either got that creative spark or you haven't. Look at Tomlin, not every player can do what he can do. 

I think that it's possible the coaches see that Bryan has a good polished footballing skill set but that left back is an easier position for him to truly master if he's to establish himself at top level champ or even prem. Good footballer but doesn't seem to truly excel creatively to be an outstanding winger at this level. 

20 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

No desire. 

Heart isn't in in.

Negative body language 

Pretty poor.

But you aren't knocking him. Gotcha!

35 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

No desire. 

Heart isn't in in.

Negative body language 

Pretty poor.

I don't see it as knocking him. I've thought the same, it is more concern than 'having a go'. Something isn't quite right with Joe. LJ did mention that he isn't confident at the moment, perhaps his body language, and sporadic lapses in concentration, are down to frustration (with himself)?

Maybe he is still learning but he looks like a rabbit in headlights when he has the ball going forward. He wants to go forward but his job is more defensive so he stops and either goes back or plays it back. Give him the freedom to attack more, get more bodies in the box, and perhaps our goals will start to flow again. I just think he has a more natural attacking ability in him that is being supressed at the moment. He may well become a good full back but we will have lost a good winger to achieve that!

In many ways I think he's quite similar to James Milner (though this is not to suggest that Joe is of top flight or international standard yet).

Both seem quite intelligent and thoughtful as footballers go, both are technically very good at football and both can play in numerous positions to a good standard but seem unable to find one at which they really excel.

Although they might not be the first name on the teamsheet and seldom get supporters excited they are both valuable players which most managers would love to have in their squads.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

No desire. 

Heart isn't in in.

Negative body language 

Pretty poor.

It looks as though this may be the case to ME. You don't have to agree on it, but less of the snide remarks.

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

What does "desire" on a football pitch look like to you, Lew?

What would you see Joe doing that told you his "heart" was in it?

Who is "mentally" right amongst the team right now? And what do you see them doing that tells you this is so?

And finally, how do you get on generally when you "gather" or read the "body language" of the people you come into contact with in your life? No problems/a few problems/serious problems??

I agree with ppl who say hes not a LB,  i think he is a good wingback and can play well on the left of a 3 behind the striker aka last season.  He has one the best crosses in the team,  although I do see why attacking from deep can be better for Bryan who likes to go on runs. but maybe he holds back on this due to knowing he has no one to cover him unlike when being a wingback.  

7 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

I still remember the game away at Notts county when he displaced Cunningham. Came away thinking he was shocking, didn't sprint to win the ball and looked like he wasn't trying. Think that's just how he plays the game. Cool, calm and collected 

And if he was a loan player from a premier league club he'd be absolutely slaughtered.

Archived