IGNORED

Back four today

MC RISK77

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

All four were brilliant today, Magners just edges it for MOM for me. A fit and switched on Adam Matthews is a real asset in this league, he just never looks flustered and always in control - you just never think he`s going to lose possession. The only slight criticism I have of him is that he does have tendency to drift in to the middle and leave their winger in a bit too much space occasionally but you can`t have everything I guess.

This has to be a tactic the players are told to do in my opinion, to force the pass over to that side. I've commented on it time and time again, yes you move across with the play but our full back seem to drift in and leave wingers in acres of space and seems to happen regardless of personnel. I'd like to think if it wasn't a tactic then someone would have spoken to them by now. 

10 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

SG has been excellent this season 

very solid. 

Have to agree. He is a proper left back. Plus he got little or no protection in front of him with Tomlin played on the left. Also overlapped a number of times allowing Tomlin space to cut inside or one occasion a dunk through to him for a slightly over hit cross that he hit first time, which is partly what caught out Tammy as he headed it high over the bar.

12 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

A recognised left back. A recognised right back. Two recognised centre halves = clean sheet.

As a friend said to me at the ground today - round pegs in round holes.

We need to be solid at the back if we are going to play 2 upfront. I like Joe Bryan as much as anyone, but he is not a natural left back. He is a midfielder who has played his best for us when playing as a wing back or in central midfield. SG is a full back who is primarily a good defender but who is venturing much further forward this season compared to last & offering more in attack. He has definitely improved & developed over the past 11 months.

As for Matthews, it would seem that yesterday we got back the player we had last season, rather than the "Delboy knock off" version that we had earlier this season which superficially looked similar but didn't work properly...

38 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

Have been one to slate Matthews but thought his touch was sublime yesterday and he even looked mildly happy after the game and even said hello! ! Whatever the problem was and we could all see there was one. .. may have been sorted. Clean slate hopefully and more clean sheets 

Well done LJ and co for handling the situation well.

We know you can do it Matthews , Now there can be no excuses.

1 hour ago, BS3_RED said:

Just posted on the Ayling thread about preferring Matthews over Ayling every time on yesterdays performance. I thought the whole back four looked class. Oh and would have Goldbourne over Bryan every time.

Same here mate been saying for weeks you need proper players in their correct positions. Scott is a proper left back who showed yesterday how he can get forward if needed.

The problem is Johnson will swap back again because he seems to love Joe more.

18 hours ago, red84 said:

Think it also helps with Pack in the middle who helps to fill gaps when lb or rb venture forwards

I'm glad someone else noticed this. It was indeed a back four but it became a 3 when the FB's pushed up. Pack and Smith effectively rotated the central cover between the CB's, but Pack did most of the dirty work. He also dropped into RB if Matthews went wandering. Intelligent play and intelligent tactics.

4 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

LJ changed players/formation yesterday after three consequetive defeats in an effort to alter the way City had been playing.

Hence the absence of GoN, two up top and Tomlin essentially given free role.

City won the game. It wast pretty but it won't be lost on LJ that the team and the back four functioned well albeit against mediocre opposition. I'd be surprised if he changed anything next week even tho Bryan wil be available.

That said, should Bryan get selected then it's likely to be at Golbournes expense but personally I put JB on the bench.

Barnsley fans did say that he did persist with a formation that wasn`t really working until injuries forced his hand. I wonder if Joe`s suspension was his equivalent moment here.

I hope he sticks with it now, for home games at least. With the next two being Brentford with a currently misfiring Hogan and Preston with all their strikers now suspended I see no reason not to. Both will come for a point from minute one so we need to get at them.

I`ve got no problem with one up front at Huddersfield as Wilbs won`t be able to do two games in three days but we need to go for it at home in two eminently winnable games. There`s over a week`s recovery time after the PNE game till we go to Wolves so we`ll never have a better chance this season to get another six points in the bag IMO.

7 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Same here mate been saying for weeks you need proper players in their correct positions. Scott is a proper left back who showed yesterday how he can get forward if needed.

I said at the start of the season that SG would be my first choice as Magnússon gets used to thus league, but it seemed LJ wants Joe at left back, and early this season it looked like Joe was the man for the job.  But the Championship has proved to be an inconsistent division for Joe and he's had a few very disappointing games.  He will come again, but for the mo' SG may be the answer.

Let's hope Matthews has turned a corner too.  I was so impressed with him at the back end of last season.

....let's not forget how impressive Taylor Moore was versus Hull, he can count himself unfortunate to have not had more minutes.  

On 03/12/2016 at 20:00, 8menhadadream said:

I have to agree that our back 4 were very good today and Frankies save to push the ball on to the post was insane reactions. 

I get the impression that LJ doesn't fancy Scott G at LB and I really don't know why. Any ideas?

Think Johnson likes to play joe at lb when we are 4,2,3,1 as he offers us more width and counter than golbourne, when we are 442 that's not the case. 

Archived