IGNORED

Professional footballers - I don't get why....

Jack Dawe

I remember when all this cheating started in English football. It was back in the Sixties after Francis Lee came back after a spell in Italy (one of the first British players to play abroad) and he started diving all over the place and cheating whenever he could. At the time everybody thought it was outrageous that a British player wasn't a gentlemen on the pitch and it caused quite a stir in the sports press. Unfortunately it caught on with other players and has soured the game ever since. 

8 minutes ago, glastonred said:

I remember when all this cheating started in English football. It was back in the Sixties after Francis Lee came back after a spell in Italy (one of the first British players to play abroad) and he started diving all over the place and cheating whenever he could. At the time everybody thought it was outrageous that a British player wasn't a gentlemen on the pitch and it caused quite a stir in the sports press. Unfortunately it caught on with other players and has soured the game ever since. 

Francis Lee didn't ever play abroad but with the advent of TV slow motion replays he was the first to gain a reputation for diving.

Our own Norman Hunter, then at Leeds, accused him directly on the pitch. leading to their infamous punch up.

Ill earned or not Lee did hit fantastic penalties though, he invariably just smashed them into the roof of the net.

I remember the same thing with Joe Baker, who came back from a year with Torino. When he started diving, he was called "Faker Baker". It just wasn't what we were used to. You couldn't imagine Big John Atyeo doing it.

With regard to  Pochettino, he said Alli's dive didn't matter as they would have won anyway. If that is so, why dive? Anyway, is cheating OK if doesn't change the result? It is still cheating.

7 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

I remember the same thing with Joe Baker, who came back from a year with Torino. When he started diving, he was called "Faker Baker". It just wasn't what we were used to. You couldn't imagine Big John Atyeo doing it.

With regard to  Pochettino, he said Alli's dive didn't matter as they would have won anyway. If that is so, why dive? Anyway, is cheating OK if doesn't change the result? It is still cheating.

Strange comment considering it was 0-0 at the time.

22 hours ago, Robin 101 said:

Is Tomlin?

He got away with some excellent falling over on saturday.

If he was an opposition player, I'd have called him a cheat. I remember our first few games back in the Championship and was amazed at how professional and clever the opposition were at cheating and winning free kicks. I'd much prefer the game without it but when in Rome, etc.

I'm not sure if I like Tomlin's 'dark side' but he's player we can't really do without at this level. He's a cross between the messiah and a very naughty boy.

6 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

He got away with some excellent falling over on saturday.

If he was an opposition player, I'd have called him a cheat. I remember our first few games back in the Championship and was amazed at how professional and clever the opposition were at cheating and winning free kicks. I'd much prefer the game without it but when in Rome, etc.

I'm not sure if I like Tomlin's 'dark side' but he's player we can't really do without at this level. He's a cross between the messiah and a very naughty boy.

Strange how we see things differently at a game. I thought the majority of the times he went to ground he was being fouled.

After the game on Saturday I said to my son that at last we look like a Championship side.  Plenty of players - notably Wilbraham, Pack and Tomlin -  in the ref's face. Not nice but this time last season we were constantly on the end of it and the effects were tangible.  Regrettably perhaps, to make progress in this league that's how it must be.  Not cheating as such but but playing the game.....

Archived