IGNORED

What a fine gesture by our friends at PNE...

BS4 on Tour...

Lot of respect for Preston and its supporters in recent years... always appear quick 'to do the right thing' ... Ever since they overcharged travelling City supporters for a match at their place (discounted entry for home supporters, not extended to us) a few years ago approx 300Reds received refunds after the 'mistake' had been highlighted by our very own NTTDS ... the £1,300 refunded was generously donated by City fans to Bristol's Prostate Cancer Fund.

Since then a number of things have been mutually supported and appreciated between the two clubs supporters.

Anyone know how many travelling fans Preston took to Sheffield and will be getting refunds via the erring players club fines? .. regardless of numbers its a great gesture by PNE .

58 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Lot of respect for Preston and its supporters in recent years... always appear quick 'to do the right thing' ... Ever since they overcharged travelling City supporters for a match at their place (discounted entry for home supporters, not extended to us) a few years ago approx 300Reds received refunds after the 'mistake' had been highlighted by our very own NTTDS ... the £1,300 refunded was generously donated by City fans to Bristol's Prostate Cancer Fund.

Since then a number of things have been mutually supported and appreciated between the two clubs supporters.

Anyone know how many travelling fans Preston took to Sheffield and will be getting refunds via the erring players club fines? .. regardless of numbers its a great gesture by PNE .

Always remember when they won promotion at our place back in the late 90s, Dave Moyes was their manager at the time.  At the end of the match City fans invading the pitch and went over to the PNE fans and gave them a  round of applause, (not reported by the local press if was the gas it would have been front page of the Evening Post and leading the sports headlines on points west) but  a lot of PNE fans remembered that gesture.

38 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Always remember when they won promotion at our place back in the late 90s, Dave Moyes was their manager at the time.  At the end of the match City fans invading the pitch and went over to the PNE fans and gave them a  round of applause, (not reported by the local press if was the gas it would have been front page of the Evening Post and leading the sports headlines on points west) but  a lot of PNE fans remembered that gesture.

Loads of them thought we were going to cause trouble and started retreating!

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's a great gesture from Preston. Fair play to them.

I'd hope that City would do the same in the same circumstances.

Why? They were at an entertaining game, why should they deserve a refund? Seems a pretty silly decision really...... Not that I'd be complaining if I was a Preston fan at the game.

34 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Why? They were at an entertaining game, why should they deserve a refund? Seems a pretty silly decision really...... Not that I'd be complaining if I was a Preston fan at the game.

The Preston saw their team lose largely because two of their own players got red cards for fighting each other. 

It was embarrassing for the club and it hit the sports news big time. Their fans didn't ask for the refund and for the club to refund them was a magnanimous gesture.

The fans could always refuse to take it of course. No doubt you would have.

44 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Why should the players, now banned for 3 games, get paid salary for being Neanderthals? This isn't coming from Preston's pockets, it's coming from the players. Perhaps it may have even been their suggestion. An excellent and commendable gesture. And I wager, even after refunding fans the club will have a few quid left from the fines. 

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The Preston saw their team lose largely because two of their own players got red cards for fighting each other.

Not really, they were losing 2-1 when they were both sent off in the dying moments of the game. 

It's a way of cooling fan displeasure at the situation, clever move by PNE who will likely still be in profit after the saved wages!

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

It was embarrassing for the club and it hit the sports news big time. Their fans didn't ask for the refund and for the club to refund them was a magnanimous gesture.

The fans could always refuse to take it of course. No doubt you would have.

Well if you actually read the whole post I said I wouldn't complain?

Just seems an over the top reaction. 

12 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Quite agree.  Do we all get a refund in future if our team plays badly or we have a player sent off?  Its not as if they were 5-0 up and the ref abandoned the match because of the in-fighting...

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Quite agree.  Do we all get a refund in future if our team plays badly or we have a player sent off?  Its not as if they were 5-0 up and the ref abandoned the match because of the in-fighting...

It's a PR exercise to take the focus off the issue of in fighting! 

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Hardly the same is it. Team mates fighting isn't an image any club wants to portray to the world and they have done everything to distance themselves from this. Two fans fighting in the terraces would likely get a ban, opposing players would get punished so why not make an example of team mates. Children look at them as role models, they shouldn't be fighting eachother no matter how frustrated they are just because one didn't pass to the other!

I am aware we had a similar situation with Orr and Carey, and it was on tv too. Not excusing them in any way but wasn't Orr right in the middle of the nightclub situation at the time, either the incident had just happened or the court case was due. How stressful that must have been, he probably should not have been playing but that was down to the manager not recognising this.

As for Preston, I've taken more of an interest since Cunningham went there, (Kilkenny is back in Aus now), they seem a really decent club. Last season I saw some of their players after the game, thought their captain (Tom someone?) was really good with the kids after as was Grayson their manager, nice blokes. 

Archived