IGNORED

Dangers of supporting a football team

Major Isewater

42 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

does fighting on the terraces count for us old un's?

i remember all hell breaking loose at portsmouth when bobby gould scored an equaliser in the last minute of an FA cup tie.

tasty lot the pompey fans in those days, always up for a ruck.

but acker and biffer were at the front of the charge as us city fans went mental

in those days you wore a ben sherman shirt under a 'crombie' or a city scarf tucked into your lab technicians coat.

oh to be seventeen again

NO , that was commonplace and not worthy of a new thread .

I'm after amusing meetings between supporters faces and flying boots, balls landing in your Bovril ( very nasty ) etc 

5 hours ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Lee Peacock, wearing one of the most extravagant tan-coloured, fur lined jackets I've ever seen, sent me sprawling when he tried to navigate an aisle whilst shopping at Cribbs Causeway a lifetime ago. Does that count?

Could have been worse,..... he could've taken you up the aisle. 

Now THAT would have counted! :) 

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No idea if it was the same incident but there was a female poster on OTIB a few years ago who described the same happening to her.

She wasn't happy about the way it was handled - iirc, upset at lack of apology - and I think said she wouldn't be attending any more.

No idea if she kept to that, but I'm pretty sure she stopped posting on here.

Could well be. I remember thinking to myself that we didn't have many couples (and not young 'uns, either) sat in the Atyeo. Never was them again. Perhaps they moved to another part of the ground?

When I used our "free" rugby tickets for the first time, I was surprised to find that the seats behind the posts were in plentiful supply 

Having taken our seats I realised that unlike football its not the best of views of the game. Also, the first time there was a kick at goal you were reminded that there are no nets on rugby posts!

Discovering this nearly cost me a pint.

10 hours ago, Calculus said:

I sit in the middle of the Dolman about half way up and have had several near misses from Frankie Fielding passes and clearances. It's just a matter of time to serious injury.....

You'll regret posting this Calculus. When a wayward clearance hits you and spills your hot bovril all over your Armani Jeans and handmade shoes, you will lose the subsequent Public Liability claim! 

SL's lawyers will refer his Honour to your post and, therefore, prove that you deliberately manoeuvred yourself so that the ball would hit you. The claim would be thrown out. Heck, you might even have to do a custodial sentence for fraud/conspiracy.

However, if Marvin Harriot was still playing, you would win as he was a liability! 

I was in the Hammond Bar at Gloucestershire CCC in late whips in a match v Middlesex. The visitors were knocking up prior to the Sunday league game when a ball smashed through the window of the bar, just missing me and an old duffer in a blazer nearby me. John Emburey, the then England captain, came in to retrieve the ball. The old duffer was furious with him for being so irresponsible and Emburey was apologising profusely. It was like watching a grown up version of a kid smashing his neighbour's window and facing the wrath of the neighbour except for the surreal aspect that the kid was the then current England cricket captain!

36 minutes ago, gl1 said:

I used to work in retail, and sold a Bristol Rovers player (Tony Pounder I think it was) a washing machine. Wanted to send the wrong model to wind him up, but manager caught wind of my intentions and made sure I did it properly...

What a story .

I think , actually, you should be on the ' I sold white goods to a Bristol Rovers player and wanted to send him the wrong model ' thread.

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

The previous post should read in the late 1980s, the predictive text changed it to whips. It is great stuff this predictive text as I am sure most people when they write 1980s really mean to write whips or quips or poops that are two other options that have been provided for me since.

I understand that the inventor of predictive text dried last Freddie .

15 hours ago, where's the joy said:

does fighting on the terraces count for us old un's?

i remember all hell breaking loose at portsmouth when bobby gould scored an equaliser in the last minute of an FA cup tie.

tasty lot the pompey fans in those days, always up for a ruck.

but acker and biffer were at the front of the charge as us city fans went mental

in those days you wore a ben sherman shirt under a 'crombie' or a city scarf tucked into your lab technicians coat.

oh to be seventeen again

Was there that day mate, Jan '73, pretty wild, got chased off their end, when Gould scored we were in the supporters club which overlooked the pitch, we won the replay 4-1, Wolves away in the  next round, another story!

3 hours ago, handsofclay said:

The previous post should read in the late 1980s, the predictive text changed it to whips. It is great stuff this predictive text as I am sure most people when they write 1980s really mean to write whips or quips or poops that are two other options that have been provided for me since.

I wonder how many Goggled whips, to see what cricket tournament that was, cuz I was scratching my head!

20 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

My old man has talked about a Rovers legend team playing Soundwell in a charity match at Kingswood. He reckons there were a couple of thousand there (he's City mind not Gas who always add a thousand plus onto their support). He said it was amazing how good some of the legends still were and how bad others were. Even as a City fan he said it was upsetting seeing some ex Rovers legends who seemed to have lost all their ability and could barely kick the ball.

Your dad would probably be correct with the crowd. I can remember numerous events at that ground that were packed out. It was not just any old pitch it had a proper seated stand to one of the sides and fenced off perimeter. Many Big TV stars of the day would be in attendance. 

21 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...so, editing my post to add a smut angle does it for you?! 

Fair play! Good work sir!

Now grow up! Although I've always said I'll grow old but not up - so you can ignore that!

I may be 50 next year but I still take pleasure (phwoar) in double entendres wherever (or not) they may appear.  

Archived