IGNORED

Best Albums of 2016

Kid in the Riot

Link above to last years thread. Looking back at it I would say this year hasn't been as strong music wise, but I must admit I haven't been able to be quite as studious as I'd have liked to have been in terms of listening to music this year.

Anyway, here's my picks...

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

Back on form after the disappointing King of Limbs, for me this ranks up there with their best work. The soundscapes are as luscious as they are varied. Thom Yorke broke up with his long term partner last year and it's no coincidence to me the amount of times these big life events often inspire artists to greater things. Favourite tracks: Daydreaming and Decks Dark.

Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book

Freshest sound of the year and an album I've listened to a lot, love his delivery, humour and rhymes. Favourite tracks: Blessings and How Great.

Drive-By Truckers - American Band

An incredibly relevant album given what has happened in the US of A this year. Poignant observational lyrics from DBT's 10th (I think) album. If you like The Boss, The Hold Steady, Gaslight Anthem then you'll like these guys. The Dirty South released in 2004 is one of my favourites  (as I said on last year's thread!). Favourite tracks: Ever South and Darkened Flags at the Cusp of Dawn

The Last Shadow Puppets - Everything You've Come to Expect

A very welcome album to tide the time over until the next Monkeys album. Loads of pop hooks and great fun - played a lot this summer. Favourite tracks: Miracle Aligner and The Dream Synopsis

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition

One of the most distinctive rap vocalists for a while and a diverse, complex album. Really Doe feat Kendrick Lamar is one of the sickest tracks I've heard for some time :cool: Favourite tracks: Really Doe and Rolling Stone

Bon Iver - 22, A Million

Beautiful album, yet so unconventional. Really impressive to be able to pull off those contentions. Three albums in and he's barely put a foot wrong. Favourite tracks: 8 (Circle) and 00000 Million

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

Will be many critics favourite of the year. Part way through recording Nick's son tragically died and so it's dripping with emotion and a difficult listen at times. Rings of Saturn is simply stunning. Favourite tracks: Rings of Saturn and I Need You

There are several other albums that I've also enjoyed but haven't given the full listening treatment to: Anderson Paak, Car Seat Headrest, David Bowie, Angel Olsen, Frank Ocean, Mitski and A Tribe Called Quest which was only released recently.

So, whats everyone else been listening to this year?

Only one album for me

Hands Off Gretel - Burn the beauty queen

The immensely talented 19 year old Lauren Tate fronts Hands Off Gretel with a unique blend of grunge, punky, riot grrrrrl music. Lauren grew up listening to Babes in Toyland, Bikini Kill and Hole but it's Hands Off Gretel's unique style that makes this album for me, the album that has been played daily since its release in September 2016. Favourite tracks - a bit like asking me to select my favourite child but Eating Simon (about cannibalism) and Oh Sh!t (about one of those days when nothing goes right). Thuis band are going to be big

29 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Link above to last years thread. Looking back at it I would say this year hasn't been as strong music wise, but I must admit I haven't been able to be quite as studious as I'd have liked to have been in terms of listening to music this year.

Back on form after the disappointing King of Limbs, for me this ranks up there with their best work. The soundscapes are as luscious as they are varied. Thom Yorke broke up with his long term partner last year and it's no coincidence to me the amount of times these big life events often inspire artists to greater things. Favourite tracks: Daydreaming and Decks Dark.

Freshest sound of the year and an album I've listened to a lot, love his delivery, humour and rhymes. Favourite tracks: Blessings and How Great.

An incredibly relevant album given what has happened in the US of A this year. Poignant observational lyrics from DBT's 10th (I think) album. If you like The Boss, The Hold Steady, Gaslight Anthem then you'll like these guys. The Dirty South released in 2004 is one of my favourites  (as I said on last year's thread!). Favourite tracks: Ever South and Darkened Flags at the Cusp of Dawn

A very welcome album to tide the time over until the next Monkeys album. Loads of pop hooks and great fun - played a lot this summer. Favourite tracks: Miracle Aligner and The Dream Synopsis

One of the most distinctive rap vocalists for a while and a diverse, complex album. Really Doe feat Kendrick Lamar is one of the sickest tracks I've heard for some time :cool: Favourite tracks: Really Doe and Rolling Stone

Bon Iver - 22, A Million

Beautiful album, yet so unconventional. Really impressive to be able to pull off those contentions. Three albums in and he's barely put a foot wrong. Favourite tracks: 8 (Circle) and 00000 Million

Will be many critics favourite of the year. Part way through recording Nick's son tragically died and so it's dripping with emotion and a difficult listen at times. Rings of Saturn is simply stunning. Favourite tracks: Rings of Saturn and I Need You

There are several other albums that I've also enjoyed but haven't given the full listening treatment to: Anderson Paak, Car Seat Headrest, David Bowie, Angel Olsen, Frank Ocean, Mitski and A Tribe Called Quest which was only released recently.

David Bowie - Blackstar

Hugh Coltman - Shadows.

Leonard Cohen - You want it darker.

Rolling Stones - Blue and lonesome.

Seasick Steve - Keeping your horse between me and the ground.

Jack White - Acoustic recordings.

Gonna take a listen to Radiohead and Bon Iver.

The Bon Iver album is great, atmospheric, dark, delicate. A big shift in style from previous.

If you like raw and powerful stoner rock, have a listen to 'All Your Happy Life' by The Wytches.

Maybe not the place to mention it, but a good one to check out next year could be the forthcoming Laura Marling album, the new single just released sounds fantastic with one of the best bass parts I've heard in a long time.

On 08/12/2016 at 17:08, Kid in the Riot said:

Bon Iver - 22, A Million

I agree that Moon Shaped Pool is an excellent album but TKOL and TKOL RMX 1234567 are not disappointing, in fact they are both superb. 

Been a really flat year for me in terms of albums but:-

Gold Panda - Good Luck And Do Your Best

The Field - The Follower

Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exit and An Odd Entrance

Radiohead - Moon Shaped Pool

Death Grips - A Bottomless Pit

To be fair I've migrated onto Soundcloud to discover new stuff so haven't really checked out other albums although I was deeply disappointed with Underworlds latest release as they are one of my musical influences, was expecting so much more

I actually think it's been a pretty decent year. Definitely a good year for live music - will save best gigs of the year for another thread. Have tried to go for my top ten albums of the year however keep changing my mind over the order. Here's my current view:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

Fat White Family - Songs for our Mothers

PJ Harvey - Hope Six Demolition Project

King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard - Nonagon Infinity

Ty Segall - Emotional Mugger

Tricky - Skilled Mechanics

C Duncan - The Midnight Sun

Savages - Adore Life

Skepta - Konnichiwa

• Admin

Not been a vintage year, but I wholeheartedly agree with @Red Rum

4 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Q-Tip at his best.

The Stranger Things soundtrack was a great nostalgia trip back to the days of Tangerine Dream & John Carpenter.

From there I discovered S U R V I V E - RR7349. Definitely a leftfield choice and one for the synth lovers out there. 

Deftones-"Gore"

Phantogram- "Three"

Glass Animals- "How to Be A Human Being"

BADBADNOTGOOD-"IV"

MARIAN HILL-"ACT ONE"

SCHOOL OF SEVEN BELLS-"SVIIB"

STURGILL SIMPSON-"A SAILOR'S GUIDE TO EARTH"

THRICE-"TO BE EVERYWHERE IS TO BE NOWHERE"

WARPAINT-"HEADS UP"

WET-"DON'T YOU"

14 hours ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

The Beatles Revolver 

Beach Boys pet sounds

Oh sorry, thought you said 1966.

Probably better than most of the pretentious crap mentioned above

Two fantastic albums you've picked out there Kev, but how do you know the above records are pretentious crap? In fact I'm not even sure how music can be 'pretentious'. You either enjoy listening to it or you don't!

13 hours ago, Chris said:

Not been a vintage year, but I wholeheartedly agree with @Red Rum

Q-Tip at his best.

The Stranger Things soundtrack was a great nostalgia trip back to the days of Tangerine Dream & John Carpenter.

From there I discovered S U R V I V E - RR7349. Definitely a leftfield choice and one for the synth lovers out there. 

If you enjoyed the Stranger Things soundtrack give The Neon Demon soundtrack by Cliff Martinez a go.

19 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I actually think it's been a pretty decent year. Definitely a good year for live music - will save best gigs of the year for another thread. Have tried to go for my top ten albums of the year however keep changing my mind over the order. Here's my current view:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

Fat White Family - Songs for our Mothers

PJ Harvey - Hope Six Demolition Project

King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard - Nonagon Infinity

Ty Segall - Emotional Mugger

Tricky - Skilled Mechanics

C Duncan - The Midnight Sun

Savages - Adore Life

Skepta - Konnichiwa

Not a bad list there RedR.

So glad to see C Duncan there. Got into his Architect album and this year's effort is also up there.

I agree with @Dark Wood Covert on the Thee Oh Sees and Death Grips albums, and with everyone on Car Seat Headrest.

I'd also add Crab Day by Cate Le Bon, Heart Like A Levee by Hiss Golden Messenger & the Heron Oblivion album.

For something completely different, the very wonderful David Holmes has released a cracking Late Night Tales compilation this year and if, like me, you can get a vicarious thrill from hearing Communist-era Czechoslovak session singers tackling Motown, Blues and Garage Rock then the Czech Up! compilation is for you...

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So glad to see C Duncan there. Got into his Architect album and this year's effort is also up there.

I agree with @Dark Wood Covert on the Thee Oh Sees and Death Grips albums, and with everyone on Car Seat Headrest.

I'd also add Crab Day by Cate Le Bon, Heart Like A Levee by Hiss Golden Messenger & the Heron Oblivion album.

For something completely different, the very wonderful David Holmes has released a cracking Late Night Tales compilation this year and if, like me, you can get a vicarious thrill from hearing Communist-era Czechoslovak session singers tackling Motown, Blues and Garage Rock then the Czech Up! compilation is for you...

Some good shouts there, certainly like the recent stuff that I've heard from Cate Le Bon. 

I found the second C Duncan album took a couple of listens but love it now - it gets more airplay at home as it's one of the only albums that I'm currently listening to that my wife will sit through (she's objected to my taste in music since the day that I brought her along to a Sonic Youth gig!). Have tickets to see C Duncan at the Thekla in the new year.

6 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Some good shouts there, certainly like the recent stuff that I've heard from Cate Le Bon. 

I found the second C Duncan album took a couple of listens but love it now - it gets more airplay at home as it's one of the only albums that I'm currently listening to that my wife will sit through (she's objected to my taste in music since the day that I brought her along to a Sonic Youth gig!). Have tickets to see C Duncan at the Thekla in the new year.

Ditto . 

As he's a bedroom geeky muso type I'm not sure what he'll be like live. Either stupendous or a tedium-fest! 

16 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Heart Like A Levee is good, but I didn't like it as much as their previous effort, The Lateness Of Dancers which is one of my favourites of recent times. Heron Oblivion have been a nice recent discovery of mine, I enjoyed that album very much. Along similar lines to those above, Absolute Loser by Fruit Bats, Eyes On The Lines by Steve Gunn and Nests by She Keeps Bees are all very good. On a more Lo-Fi tip, Dream News by Attic Abasement is great too

On 11/12/2016 at 09:37, chipdawg said:

This would have been a top 3, but i'be only recently heard Blond by Frank Ocean which is fantastic and I can't seperate it from the others now

Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool

D.D Dumbo- Utopia Defeated

Car Seat Headrest- Teens Of Denial

Frank Ocean- Blond

Thanks for this - really enjoying it, right up my street.

As a footnote to 2016 Run the Jewels released RTJ3 on Christmas Day which I'm enjoying - check out the single Thursday in the Danger Room.

Loving this single released last week from London Grammar too. Showcases Hannah Reid's beautiful voice:

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks for this - really enjoying it, right up my street.

As a footnote to 2016 Run the Jewels released RTJ3 on Christmas Day which I'm enjoying - check out the single Thursday in the Danger Room.

Loving this single released last week from London Grammar too. Showcases Hannah Reid's beautiful voice:

No worries, I can't believe it didn't get more love in the end of year 'best of' charts to be honest

I've never got on with London Grammar, I find them interminably dull. She has got a cracking voice though

On 13/01/2017 at 17:29, Kid in the Riot said:

I've just given The xx album , released today, a listen and it sounds exceptional.

On spotify now, as an introduction a track called 'Performance' is particularly brilliant.

Got a feeling this is going to be a good year for music. Also loving this return to form for British Sea Power:

Liking the XX and the British Sea Power. 

Have you heard Jamie XX's album? Worth a listen.

Archived