IGNORED

Aden Flint

Tipps69

Could his recent contract extension have been put in place to ward of interest by possible suitors or has it been put in place just so we know we'll get the best possible price for him?

I know Sunderland have been linked in the recent past & they are apparently worried about losing Kone & Djilobodji to the African Cup of Nations & that will only leave them with John O'Shea as their only recognised centre back & with their recent upturn in results they are now a viable option for Premier League survival & may well need to throw some money at solving this possible crisis.

What's to say that we haven't put a release clause into the contract that will see us receive a realistic to high price for a valued member of our first team who more than likely harbours ambitions of playing at the highest level possible?

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two leave in January as well as a couple of incomings, it all adds to what could be another exciting transfer window for us & could see the club moving forwards another couple of steps.

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Could his recent contract extension have been put in place to ward of interest by possible suitors or has it been put in place just so we know we'll get the best possible price for him?

I know Sunderland have been linked in the recent past & they are apparently worried about losing Kone & Djilobodji to the African Cup of Nations & that will only leave them with John O'Shea as their only recognised centre back & with their recent upturn in results they are now a viable option for Premier League survival & may well need to throw some money at solving this possible crisis.

What's to say that we haven't put a release clause into the contract that will see us receive a realistic to high price for a valued member of our first team who more than likely harbours ambitions of playing at the highest level possible?

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two leave in January as well as a couple of incomings, it all adds to what could be another exciting transfer window for us & could see the club moving forwards another couple of steps.

I would be surprised if Sunderland took Flint in January. It would represent too much of a gamble with him being untried at that level and the price we would want.

I could see a club like West Brom taking a punt, relatively safe and could ease him into their first team gradually.

The answer for me is most likely however if not the price or fact he has a new contract would stop sides buying him, I think his performances would. At this level for me he is a good player but not outstanding. I think he would massively struggle with the pace in the premier league

4 hours ago, daored said:

I would be surprised if Sunderland took Flint in January. It would represent too much of a gamble with him being untried at that level and the price we would want.

I could see a club like West Brom taking a punt, relatively safe and could ease him into their first team gradually.

But with potentially only one centre back, Sunderland will be desperate for bodies to try & help them avoid relegation & first hand knowledge of the English game, it will also be an advantage as there will be no real need to get used to the culture etc.

On TV a couple of days ago they were saying Sunderland needed a 'quick, mobile centre half as soon as possible' does Flinty fit that remit? Trouble is Moysie knows a good player in that position when he sees one I'm sure. 

10 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

An interesting idea, and the contract extension certainly makes sure that we won't sell Flint unless a large offer comes our way.

I can't see Flint going anywhere.  He's one of the players who will lead City into the Prem, which I'm convinced will happen before 2020.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

But with potentially only one centre back, Sunderland will be desperate for bodies to try & help them avoid relegation & first hand knowledge of the English game, it will also be an advantage as there will be no real need to get used to the culture etc.

Don't disagree with what you say about extra bodies with English league experience. Would you take a punt on Flint if you were Sunderland? I personally wouldn't at this stage of the season

I'd be surprised if it wasn't extended to ward off interest/mean we can get top money for him. Worst case is he's with us until 2020. We are well covered now regardless. I'm sure everything was factored in. A team like Sunderland could use Flint. His goal tally for league football is astonishing as well. Something like 25 in 150 for us. He's adapated to every level quite well. Wouldn't be ideal to sell him but at least we'll get the best price if we do. 

Don't disagree with what you say about extra bodies with English league experience. Would you take a punt on Flint if you were Sunderland? I personally wouldn't at this stage of the season

What other viable options are there out there? The likes of Newcastle, Villa, Norwich or Brighton are unlikely to sell due to them having greater ambitions of more instant success in gaining promotion to the Premier League, most, if not all Premier League clubs will be after top wack in regards to fees & none of them are likely to want to sell to a Premier League rival so that rules out the top 24 or so teams.

And while we may well harbour ambitions for Premier League football I don't think we're expecting instant success on that front & if a Premier League club came knocking I'd be surprised if we could refuse any team member the opportunity to challenge himself at that level plus deny them the obvious financial rewards that would come with such a move.

36 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

What other viable options are there out there? The likes of Newcastle, Villa, Norwich or Brighton are unlikely to sell due to them having greater ambitions of more instant success in gaining promotion to the Premier League, most, if not all Premier League clubs will be after top wack in regards to fees & none of them are likely to want to sell to a Premier League rival so that rules out the top 24 or so teams.

And while we may well harbour ambitions for Premier League football I don't think we're expecting instant success on that front & if a Premier League club came knocking I'd be surprised if we could refuse any team member the opportunity to challenge himself at that level plus deny them the obvious financial rewards that would come with such a move.

I don't think the club would stand in the way of any player, as seen with JK if the price is right. I think it would send out the wrong message if we stand in players way when it comes to their progression. As you say it makes perfect commercial sense to tie our players into longer terms contracts. 

As for Flint, I think it would be a huge gamble by a club to take him on, he would have to hit the ground running and that would be a big ask. I completely respect your background and in terms of viable options I'm not sure of any. 

As for Flint, I think it would be a huge gamble by a club to take him on, he would have to hit the ground running and that would be a big ask. I completely respect your background and in terms of viable options I'm not sure of any. 

That could be said for any new signing, all are a gamble & every club would hope that any new signings would hit the ground running but I would suggest that having someone who knows the style of football, the language & the culture would be far less of a gamble compared to grabbing a foreign signing who may not have a grasp on any of those traits that maybe required.

There would be less pressure on say a "Flint" signing for around £5m than there would be on a foreign signing just because a "Flint" signing would already be up to speed with everything English football has to throw at him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Flint go but I think there's more to this new contract than meets the eye (possible rumours of attracting attention from others & a negotiated & acceptable release clause should bids be received), everyone regarding the player & club know where they now stand.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

That could be said for any new signing, all are a gamble & every club would hope that any new signings would hit the ground running but I would suggest that having someone who knows the style of football, the language & the culture would be far less of a gamble compared to grabbing a foreign signing who may not have a grasp on any of those traits that maybe required.

There would be less pressure on say a "Flint" signing for around £5m than there would be on a foreign signing just because a "Flint" signing would already be up to speed with everything English football has to throw at him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Flint go but I think there's more to this new contract than meets the eye (possible rumours of attracting attention from others & a negotiated & acceptable release clause should bids be received), everyone regarding the player & club know where they now stand.

I think the one thing we will both agree on, is we're signing players who are marketable to other clubs. The fact the club is looking to protect their assets is a huge step forward from the past 

8 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Future manager I reckon

Not from what he said at the Community Trust end of season event last year. He was asked what he would do after playing (hopefully that's waaaay into the future) and he said he had no desire to manage or anything like that. He said he would have an interest in being a Personal Trainer. Pemberton who was there agreed that 'no way Flinty would have the patience to be a Manager, he's not the most patient of people' and Flinty fully agreed.

Obviously never say never and time changes you but he certainly didn't see himself doing that. And I think by his age now he'd have a fair idea if that's the direction he'd want to take.

15 minutes ago, RedM said:

Not from what he said at the Community Trust end of season event last year. He was asked what he would do after playing (hopefully that's waaaay into the future) and he said he had no desire to manage or anything like that. He said he would have an interest in being a Personal Trainer. Pemberton who was there agreed that 'no way Flinty would have the patience to be a Manager, he's not the most patient of people' and Flinty fully agreed.

Obviously never say never and time changes you but he certainly didn't see himself doing that. And I think by his age now he'd have a fair idea if that's the direction he'd want to take.

I`m surprised more former players don`t go down this route - maybe they do but you just don`t hear about it - but you would think that having had a career where they`ve been up close and personal with the latest innovations and training methods, top of the range equipment and suchlike and kept themselves super fit it would be something that would appeal.

Maybe financially they don`t need to after they hang up their boots, who knows?

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 00:16, Tipps69 said:

Insurance for either / or I would think

4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I like Aden Flint and like his presence in the team, but I honestly believe this is the peak of his ability. I'm amazed that people think he's good enough for low end premiership clubs.

Fair enough, it is all about opinions after all.

Could I see him in Sunderland, Palace, Burnley, Swansea, Hull, Boro or even West Brom's team?

Absolutely and not looking out of place at all..

30 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I like Aden Flint and like his presence in the team, but I honestly believe this is the peak of his ability. I'm amazed that people think he's good enough for low end premiership clubs.

Same here. I like the guy but is he really a premier league defender? I wouldn't begrudge him a move but I just don't see him as having that level of quality. 

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Same here. I like the guy but is he really a premier league defender? I wouldn't begrudge him a move but I just don't see him as having that level of quality. 

I tend to agree and ambitious though he undoubtedly is I reckon he knows it too.

If you were him would you want to have your performance ripped to shreds on Sky/MOTD after Aguero`s left you for dead for the fourth time? Prem fans are nowhere near as forgiving as we are and every mistake would be national news.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Ahhh ok, never heard that. Fair enough to Aden though :)

51 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I tend to agree and ambitious though he undoubtedly is I reckon he knows it too.

If you were him would you want to have your performance ripped to shreds on Sky/MOTD after Aguero`s left you for dead for the fourth time? Prem fans are nowhere near as forgiving as we are and every mistake would be national news.

we are forgiving?

On 09/12/2016 at 09:38, RedM said:

On TV a couple of days ago they were saying Sunderland needed a 'quick, mobile centre half as soon as possible' does Flinty fit that remit? Trouble is Moysie knows a good player in that position when he sees one I'm sure. 

If that's what he's looking for then Magnussen could be an option for them! :shocking:

22 minutes ago, reddoh said:

we are forgiving?

Compared to living life in the goldfish bowl that is the premier league, yes!

Perhaps I should have said our expectations are a bit more realistic. It`s been said many times in threads on her that if Tomlin/Korey/Kodjia/several others had x,y or z they`d be playing in the prem and we tend to accept their `shortcomings` as a result.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

I think that by his sheer presence he offers something that isn't the norm. There aren't many players of his size & who can do a dual job in both penalty areas & on the back of LJ's recent comments about our lack of quality dead ball delivery, if he had that which is likely in the Prem, he would also score a few in that division which could be all the difference between relegation & survival.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, it is all about opinions after all.

Could I see him in Sunderland, Palace, Burnley, Swansea, Hull, Boro or even West Brom's team?

Absolutely and not looking out of place at all..

Especially when you see the likes of Macauley and Dawson at West From, bombscares like Kaboul (who's gone for stupid money in the past)....are they much / any better than Flint.  As I've said before some players thrive on playing with better players.  Flint could be one of them.

Flint is a very good Championship centre back....however we have all seen players excel in the champ and then completely fail in the prem....Could happen To Flint.

Also, he has mistakes in his locker....champ forwards don't always take advantage, obviously in the prem the year tend to punish these errors.

I think he is a top 6 championship centre back....

Archived