IGNORED

Sorry LJ you got that horribly wrong

Londoner

442 against a side that drops into pockets of space and floods the midfield was always going to be a disaster....and with that came a performance where our midfield was dominated to an extent I haven't seen for a very long time.

I mentioned this last week, there is a time and a place....this wasn't one of those times....if anyone has seen Huddersfield play it should of been obvious....Im genuinely astounded that LJ went for this formation against Huddersfield. 

Secondly, How on earth did Korey Smith last the 90....a shadow o himself, zero impact on the game, over run, poor distribution, poor tackling....I'm sorry but he should not be starting for bcfc on current evidence. As for that completely UNECESSARY, HORRENDOUS back pass....inexcusable.

GET HIM OUT OF THE SIDE.

With the exception of ONE 2 minute spell at the start of the second half we were battered....created next to nothing and thoroughly deserved to lose....I'm a big fan of LJ but tactics wrong, team selection wrong.

I appreciate you can't legislate for mistakes, but it could of been considerably more than 2-1.

ZERO attacking threat, ZERO midfield presence, ZERO creativity....we completely played into their hands.

I'm a massive Lee Johnson fan, a massive Mark Ashton fan, and generally a massive fan of how we're trying to do things off the field. I support the contract extension and I support everything about what we're up to...

However, and I hate saying this, that really was hugely concerning for me. I just don't watch us and think "that's a Bristol City team I'm watching". I don't see a clear pattern of play, a clear route to goal, or a clear identity.

I'm pretty sure I know what the head coach wants us to be - high tempo, high pressing, possession-based football - but I'm not convinced he's 100% sure what system to play in order to make that happen. A flat 4-4-2 surely isn't it - and I'm also sure he'll already know that too.

I have no issue with losing games - we're likely a mid-table side, we'll win some and lose some - but that, from 2pm onwards, just felt a relegation display from start to finish.

Probably best I go and pick up my toys again now.

8 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

It doesn't take long for the naysayers to appear does it? Average team and manager? Currently on course for our second highest league finish in over 30 years and one poor display doesn't change that at all!

We'd have to finish ninth or above to do that, do you think we will?

Since Smith has come back we have been very poor, Reid has been been consistently good and links the front players, Pack has generally been good but seems to be the fall guy and gets substituted or not starting. We played very well against Brum & reading but lost because we did not convert our chances. Thought we were poor against Ipswich but got the result, think LJ needs to keep faith with the team that is creating chances and looking dominant rather than the 442 with smith in midfield 

29 minutes ago, Londoner said:

442 against a side that drops into pockets of space and floods the midfield was always going to be a disaster....and with that came a performance where our midfield was dominated to an extent I haven't seen for a very long time.

I mentioned this last week, there is a time and a place....this wasn't one of those times....if anyone has seen Huddersfield play it should of been obvious....Im genuinely astounded that LJ went for this formation against Huddersfield. 

Secondly, How on earth did Korey Smith last the 90....a shadow o himself, zero impact on the game, over run, poor distribution, poor tackling....I'm sorry but he should not be starting for bcfc on current evidence. As for that completely UNECESSARY, HORRENDOUS back pass....inexcusable.

GET HIM OUT OF THE SIDE.

With the exception of ONE 2 minute spell at the start of the second half we were battered....created next to nothing and thoroughly deserved to lose....I'm a big fan of LJ but tactics wrong, team selection wrong.

I appreciate you can't legislate for mistakes, but it could of been considerably more than 2-1.

ZERO attacking threat, ZERO midfield presence, ZERO creativity....we completely played into their hands.

It was very similar to the Ipswich game, but it was masked by a penalty and a wonder goal (that I doubt we will see from Freeman again). 

15 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I'm a massive Lee Johnson fan, a massive Mark Ashton fan, and generally a massive fan of how we're trying to do things off the field. I support the contract extension and I support everything about what we're up to...

However, and I hate saying this, that really was hugely concerning for me. I just don't watch us and think "that's a Bristol City team I'm watching". I don't see a clear pattern of play, a clear route to goal, or a clear identity.

I'm pretty sure I know what the head coach wants us to be - high tempo, high pressing, possession-based football - but I'm not convinced he's 100% sure what system to play in order to make that happen. A flat 4-4-2 surely isn't it - and I'm also sure he'll already know that too.

I have no issue with losing games - we're likely a mid-table side, we'll win some and lose some - but that, from 2pm onwards, just felt a relegation display from start to finish.

Probably best I go and pick up my toys again now.

We had a really bad patch in losing games, but we kept creating chances, passing, trying - but we seem to have gradually just fallen into long balls and panic mode - the players do not look comfortable on the ball at the moment and the passing and control is woeful - I really thought Lee was going to do as you said high tempo, high pressing, possession-based football I can cope with us losing doing this, trying to be a footballing team, I don't want long balls smacked up the pitch all day.

A disappointing performance and result today, please can we keep a reasonable sense of perspective and remember:

We are a work in progress

Have a mid-table squad

Have a young manager and team

That every defeat (except v Brighton) has been by a single goal

Please can we learn from today and look forward to putting things right on Tuesday.

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

A disappointing performance and result today, please can we keep a reasonable sense of perspective and remember:

We are a work in progress

Have a mid-table squad

Have a young manager and team

That every defeat (except v Brighton) has been by a single goal

Please can we learn from today and look forward to putting things right on Tuesday.

You are expecting too much from this forum unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, Londoner said:

GET HIM OUT OF THE SIDE.

For someone who seems to take glee from lecturing others or remarking rather condescendingly to others' opinions you perhaps should take a look at your grammatical errors fella.

5 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

I would say that we were only completely outplayed in the first 20 minutes. Hudders dominated possession but they didnt have too many chances after that. It was more our own poor decision making and one absolute howler that cost us the game rather than any huge difference in quality.

Pretty much this. They were very good for the first 20-25 mins and we were lucky to only be 1 down but after that they certainly didn't batter us. They were better than us and deserved the points, but between 1-1 and 2-1 we were largely comfortable bar the odd moment. The disappointment for me was the performance after going 2-1 down, really never looked like getting the equaliser.

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I didn't get to see it but I got the firm impression from those that did that we were completely ouplayed so 'two individual mistakes' doesn't sound as if it paints a true picture

We were at times, but take those mistakes away and then they would have had to score 2 goals by their own steam, which they failed to do.

56 minutes ago, Londoner said:

GET HIM OUT OF THE SIDE.

I can't comment on the game as I didn't see any of it, but re the back pass, I don't think you can blame KS for the fact FF's first touch was awful!

25 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I can't comment on the game as I didn't see any of it, but re the back pass, I don't think you can blame KS for the fact FF's first touch was awful!

And his first touch should have been his last. What was he thinking attempting a dribble in front of goal? I cannot comprehend why he has form in doing this and more why it is not being trained out of his game; is the guy lacking intelligence? I mean its not hard is it. But, as I said earlier, the only mitigating circumstance is Korey should not have back passed it in the first place.

Anyway, time to move on.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Since Smith has come back we have been very poor, Reid has been been consistently good and links the front players, Pack has generally been good but seems to be the fall guy and gets substituted or not starting. We played very well against Brum & reading but lost because we did not convert our chances. Thought we were poor against Ipswich but got the result, think LJ needs to keep faith with the team that is creating chances and looking dominant rather than the 442 with smith in midfield 

Reid and pack are our best 2 out of the 4 for me by quite some distance 

Archived