IGNORED

Sorry LJ you got that horribly wrong

Londoner

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

We definitely need to strengthen if that is the case.

Reid has been very good this season, should score more but is it any suprise that with him out of the team we create much less? His cameo was mist impressive. 

disclosure: I am a fully paid up member of the Bobby Reid fan club.

54 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

You are expecting too much from this forum unfortunately.

I don't mind a defeat when we play well but don't get the run of the ball, or their goalie makes wonder saves which happens, but today's performance was an utter shambles, more or less from start to finish.  We were outplayed in every department and how can anyone say that our quality was as good as theirs, obviously didn't watch the game. I don't know what Huddersfield's budget is, but they seem to know how to get a manager and players who are quality and play entertaining football, they haven't got the benefit of parachute payments, or are they a fashionable club, so what is the difference between them and us when it comes to getting quality players and most of all a quality manager.  Don't get me wrong, I am not slagging LJ off, it's just interesting to know why.  Does anybody have any ideas?

31 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

And his first touch should have been his last. What was he thinking attempting a dribble in front of goal? I cannot comprehend why he has form in doing this and more why it is not being trained out of his game; is the guy lacking intelligence? I mean its not hard is it. But, as I said earlier, the only mitigating circumstance is Korey should not have back passed it in the first place.

Anyway, time to move on.

Steve Philips would never take a touch and I'll never forget his air shot away at Wolves. In Frankie's case today, and the pressure the was put under, welly it should have been the only option!

14 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It doesn't take long for the naysayers to appear does it? Average team and manager? Currently on course for our second highest league finish in over 30 years and one poor display doesn't change that at all!

Correct,in this division certainly average-no doubting it....got away with a few early in the season and fooled some into thinking we were play off material!.... Ridiculous. Now finding our level..of course,an improvement on a year ago-from dire to average!!

So how would you rate us as we stand,hand on heart??

22 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Correct,in this division certainly average-no doubting it....got away with a few early in the season and fooled some into thinking we were play off material!.... Ridiculous. Now finding our level..of course,an improvement on a year ago-from dire to average!!

So how would you rate us as we stand,hand on heart??

I would rate us as average for the division right now, certainly, but we have a young team with great potential and will in all likelyhood improve greatly over the next few seasons.

It's also worth pointing out that even in our current position we are a better side than through 90% of my 30odd years as a City fan. As a club we are looking more ready to be promoted to the top division than at any time since 1980.

3 hours ago, biggythecity said:

Well everyone wanted 2 upfront and we suddenly stop creating so much and the midfield has become overrun,perhaps the modern one upfront wasn't so bad eh!!

Bang on the money, it is hilarious that posters who were saying if only we switched to 4-4-2 we'd romp the league by Easter are now talking of an overrun midfield, the need to play 5 in the middle and a lack of width. The truth is we need different tactics for different matches. Obviously yesterday Lee got it wrong but we move on. 

29 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Bang on the money, it is hilarious that posters who were saying if only we switched to 4-4-2 we'd romp the league by Easter are now talking of an overrun midfield, the need to play 5 in the middle and a lack of width. The truth is we need different tactics for different matches. Obviously yesterday Lee got it wrong but we move on. 

I stated that after ipswich win 442 against Huddersfield a woulsnt work and provider did reasoning....it's not all about jumping after a bad result

32 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I am not entirely sure he did get it wrong. I firmly believe a manager can only make rather nominal percentage differences to a team. And the team that he put out, in so many departments, simply failed to perform, mainly in midfield. 

6 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I am not entirely sure he did get it wrong. I firmly believe a manager can only make rather nominal percentage differences to a team. And the team that he put out, in so many departments, simply failed to perform, mainly in midfield. 

The thing to me is yes, yesterday didn't go well and it's easy to say in retrospect the team selection was wrong.  And perhaps it was.  But  couldn't actually name a team I'm confident would have played better.  People compare it to QPR.  That was a game where we played one up-front and, Tomlin aside, a completely different midfield.  At the moment we don't have a line-up I'm confident will win matches or play  brilliantly week in week out.

Personally I'm not massively concerned by that - a lot of our players are young, others will eventually get moved on - but the club cannot build a top quality Championship team overnight.  Overall we're a lot better than we were last year and I'll take that.  I think Brentford and Preston represent good chances to get points on the board and we need to do so but overall I think we need to get into the transfer window and shore up the team to keep us in or around the middle of the table for the rest of the season and then plan for next season when some of our younger lads will have more experience, others will be brought in and we might be in a position to really kick on.

17 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It doesn't take long for the naysayers to appear does it? Average team and manager? Currently on course for our second highest league finish in over 30 years and one poor display doesn't change that at all!

actually if we carry on playing as we currently are, we definitely wont be on course for our second highest finish

I agree was worried LJ was going to stick by last weeks winning 4-4-2 but this just seemed obviously not the week to do so.

Completely overun from first to last by the best team Ive seen this season, a very expansive team who worked the ball all round the pitch.

I do think we have lost our identity at present, I agree we do need to get more out of Tammy but I'm not convinced 4-4-2 is the way.

Credit yesterday I actually thought to the defence under constant pressure inc Matthews who had a torrid time marking van la parra, Reid who should start and though Frankie made a hideous error he also made a couple of key stops, Smith, Pack and Freeman struggled / not good enough while Wilbraham surely is not the starting solution.

Trust LJ but he has a reached a mini crossroads with the formation in my opinion.

Living off our home form at the moment. Win our next two and it'll be better than Newcastle's but our poor away showings are putting more and more pressure on the need to pick up points at the Gate. Improve our record on our travels and we will be a top 6 side. However, any dip in home form and we will be looking over our shoulders.

18 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Hate to say it but would 3-5-2 be a good formation change? I think we have 3 good enough defenders to play it and it to be effective in the Championship. 

I think it would. Moore, Flint and Mags as the back three, Matthews and JB as wingbacks. A central three of Tomlin, Reid and one of Pack/Smith/GON. Tammy +1 up front. If that looks a bit vulnerable defensively either play Tomlin or Bobby up with Tammy and drop another DM in there. If Scott Golbourne`s on the bench we can go to 4-4-2 if the game demands it (or Joe could drop back to LB). Admittedly, your wingbacks have to perform otherwise there`s no width but if you have COD or Freeman on the bench you can change things that way.

With two home games in a week, it could be worth a try.

Archived