IGNORED

Highlights

exAtyeoMax

12 minutes ago, hollydog said:

What was Smith doing playing the ball back from there. His mindset is way too negative.

Smith had an easy ball out to Flint (I think it was) instead, I know FF has made a mess of it, but like when that Brighton player scored from half-way line, Smith has to take a good portion of blame. We really need Smith back to best, but he looks a long way off right now.

50 minutes ago, KevP said:

Far too much sideways and backwards play throughout the team ATM......when will they learn ?????:facepalm: 

You missed the PowerPoint - It's called transition through the thirds or something - all very nice, but our transition takes us 10mins to get from back to front most of the time , and when not it's a 40-50 yard thump in the general direction of TA and AW if he's about

No width for LJ - everything through the middle and IMO you need quality quality players to do this successfully

40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You missed the PowerPoint - It's called transition through the thirds or something - all very nice, but our transition takes us 10mins to get from back to front most of the time , and when not it's a 40-50 yard thump in the general direction of TA and AW if he's about

No width for LJ - everything through the middle and IMO you need quality quality players to do this successfully

Yeah must've missed that...it all makes sense now...thanks for that Mr Taylor.

2 hours ago, hollydog said:

What was Smith doing playing the ball back from there. His mindset is way too negative.

It wasn't a great back pass, but that's awful from Frankie. A professional goalkeeper should be vaguely competent with his feet and he had time to trap it boot it there

23 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

It wasn't a great back pass, but that's awful from Frankie. A professional goalkeeper should be vaguely competent with his feet and he had time to trap it boot it there

Especially when he has all day everyday to practice ..:.. oh and a full time goalkeeping coach :blink:

Can accept weaknesses but struggle how many pros don't seem to improve them over time

Read an article about how Andy Murray analyses to identify his weaknesses and then spends hours and hours on specific practice sessions until their no longer weaknesses ....... hmmm

I'm struggling to see it as more than 5% Smith's fault. It's a firmly hit back pass, yes, but that's always preferable to an under hit one, especially with opponents lurking, and a professional footballer at any level really ought to be able to deal with it competently. It wasn't as though he smashed it at him. A Sunday league keeper would be disappointed with that.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Especially when he has all day everyday to practice ..:.. oh and a full time goalkeeping coach :blink:

Can accept weaknesses but struggle how many pros don't seem to improve them over time

Read an article about how Andy Murray analyses to identify his weaknesses and then spends hours and hours on specific practice sessions until their no longer weaknesses ....... hmmm

That's fine but Andy Murray is also a characterless SYNT, why hasn't he analysed THAT and worked on it? 

15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That's fine but Andy Murray is also a characterless SYNT, why hasn't he analysed THAT and worked on it? 

Might be 'characterless' in somes eyes but he's No One in World and for me , epitomises the word 'professional '

( Besides masses of determination, dedication , talent)

3 hours ago, chipdawg said:

And Frank is usually very assured with his feet from open play.  He cocked up today.  Outfield players let the ball run under their feet, have a heavy touch etc, but I accept they aren't in such a critical position. Several times a game sometimes.

Has Frank ever done this before?  Not to my memory.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He's cocked up once.  It cost us a goal.  It lost us the match.  Yeah, I'm really disappointed in the manner of it, but he has been very assured since his return to the team.  I'm sure Frank will be gutted, and I bet he'll be putting in extra practice this week.

46 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I'd rather go to the pub with Andy Murray than most professional footballers I can think of. Entertaining, intelligent and interesting on twitter and not afraid to offer an opinion. The whole "Andy Murray is boring" thing is just a lazy cliche peddled by people who don't follow tennis.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'd rather go to the pub with Andy Murray than most professional footballers I can think of. Entertaining, intelligent and interesting on twitter and not afraid to offer an opinion. The whole "Andy Murray is boring" thing is just a lazy cliche peddled by people who don't follow tennis.

Quite possibly correct.  Tennis is even more boring than whatever-his-name-is Murray 

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And Frank is usually very assured with his feet from open play.  He cocked up today.  Outfield players let the ball run under their feet, have a heavy touch etc, but I accept they aren't in such a critical position. Several times a game sometimes.

Has Frank ever done this before?  Not to my memory.

He's cocked up once.  It cost us a goal.  It lost us the match.  Yeah, I'm really disappointed in the manner of it, but he has been very assured since his return to the team.  I'm sure Frank will be gutted, and I bet he'll be putting in extra practice this week.

Really? Frankie's never been great with the ball at his feet and I absolutely agree that such mistakes are committed by outfield players all the time, but it was poor skill, poor decision making and to be perfectly honest, he looked like he panicked. ROD was dropped for failing to keep out a shot at Sheff Wed, why does Frankie get excuses made for him? Frankie isn't a young keeper learning his trade, he's a senior pro who should work on stuff like that every week. I can personally forgive a keeper spilling a shot more than what happened with Frankie on Saturday. Mistakes happen, but that goal was down to a lack of temperament, a lack of working on basic skills and, if I'm honest, a lack of ability. Just don't know why everyone is so quick to excuse Frank and blame others 

6 hours ago, chipdawg said:

Really? Frankie's never been great with the ball at his feet and I absolutely agree that such mistakes are committed by outfield players all the time, but it was poor skill, poor decision making and to be perfectly honest, he looked like he panicked. ROD was dropped for failing to keep out a shot at Sheff Wed, why does Frankie get excuses made for him? Frankie isn't a young keeper learning his trade, he's a senior pro who should work on stuff like that every week. I can personally forgive a keeper spilling a shot more than what happened with Frankie on Saturday. Mistakes happen, but that goal was down to a lack of temperament, a lack of working on basic skills and, if I'm honest, a lack of ability. Just don't know why everyone is so quick to excuse Frank and blame others 

No blame of others in my response Chip.  

I'm not excusing Frank, but by the token that you say everyone is so quick to excuse him, why is this forum so quick to castigate every player for any failure, misdemeanour etc?

i still disagree with you and many others about Frank's ability with the ball at his feet.  My opinion only, but I think his touch (bar yesterday accepted) off both feet is decent.  There are so many worse than him.  Plus he has added 10 yards to his distance too.

He messed up yesterday....tell me a top goalie who hasn't.  Not suggesting he's a top goalie either, just stating that sh1t happens in goal, to even the best.  As I said, I can't remember Frank conceding a goal of this type before.  Happy to be corrected.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No blame of others in my response Chip.  

I'm not excusing Frank, but by the token that you say everyone is so quick to excuse him, why is this forum so quick to castigate every player for any failure, misdemeanour etc?

i still disagree with you and many others about Frank's ability with the ball at his feet.  My opinion only, but I think his touch (bar yesterday accepted) off both feet is decent.  There are so many worse than him.  Plus he has added 10 yards to his distance too.

He messed up yesterday....tell me a top goalie who hasn't.  Not suggesting he's a top goalie either, just stating that sh1t happens in goal, to even the best.  As I said, I can't remember Frank conceding a goal of this type before.  Happy to be corrected.

To be honest, I agree with you. Players should be allowed to make mistakes and should be backed by the manager, but LJ has already set his stall out with his goalkeepers in that regard

But what was annoying me was the excuse making for Frank; "it was an awful pass from Korey", "it came on his wrong foot". Rubbish. His lack of basic ability and composure was exposed and there is no excuse for that in a professional footballer as far as I'm concerned. Harsh, I agree. But the only person responsible for that goal is Frank Fielding

46 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

To be honest, I agree with you. Players should be allowed to make mistakes and should be backed by the manager, but LJ has already set his stall out with his goalkeepers in that regard

But what was annoying me was the excuse making for Frank; "it was an awful pass from Korey", "it came on his wrong foot". Rubbish. His lack of basic ability and composure was exposed and there is no excuse for that in a professional footballer as far as I'm concerned. Harsh, I agree. But the only person responsible for that goal is Frank Fielding

Totally agree it was his fault.  It came to him on his right foot (which is his stronger foot, not sure why others suggest it's not), but he came back inside.  Poor decision, and he / we paid for it.  Had he mis-controlled it trying to keep it on his right, it would have ended up in a less presentable chance.  I wasn't there but maybe the non-red card incident was still in his system.

Re LJ setting his stall out, ROD had a run of 3 or 4 games of under-par performances, Frank's had one.  If that's enough to give Lucic the nod, so be it.  He's paid to make the decisions.  Sometimes you just need to go for it.  I will be behind whoever gets picked.  Lucic's ball-playing looks inconsistent from seeing him in the warm-up, but that's not really anything to judge, and unfair.  He is happy on either foot though.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Totally agree it was his fault.  It came to him on his right foot (which is his stronger foot, not sure why others suggest it's not), but he came back inside.  Poor decision, and he / we paid for it.  Had he mis-controlled it trying to keep it on his right, it would have ended up in a less presentable chance.  I wasn't there but maybe the non-red card incident was still in his system.

Re LJ setting his stall out, ROD had a run of 3 or 4 games of under-par performances, Frank's had one.  If that's enough to give Lucic the nod, so be it.  He's paid to make the decisions.  Sometimes you just need to go for it.  I will be behind whoever gets picked.  Lucic's ball-playing looks inconsistent from seeing him in the warm-up, but that's not really anything to judge, and unfair.  He is happy on either foot though.

The first time ROD was dropped, after the Wednesday game, someone here had only a few days before (might have been a couple of weeks to be fair) started a "Is O'Donnell The Best Keeper in The Division" thread. I agree that when he came back in after Frankie got injured he was rubbish. I just think it's double standards and makes it look even more like ROD was scapegoated for what happened at Sheff Wed

12 hours ago, chipdawg said:

The first time ROD was dropped, after the Wednesday game, someone here had only a few days before (might have been a couple of weeks to be fair) started a "Is O'Donnell The Best Keeper in The Division" thread. I agree that when he came back in after Frankie got injured he was rubbish. I just think it's double standards and makes it look even more like ROD was scapegoated for what happened at Sheff Wed

Probably right, but I think he also got the raw deal out of the Flint / ROD error on the Saturday v Rotherham too.

On Talksport this morning Friedel was discussing Karius and Bravo and when asked whether one more mistake would mean being dropped.  Friedel said it all depends on your no2.  Mignoelet for Karius more obvious than Cabellero for Bravo.

We will certainly find out at 18:45 tomorrow!!!!

Archived