IGNORED

Best Christmas Song?

CyderInACan

19 minutes ago, North London Red said:

'Just Like Christmas' by Low is probably my favourite (was championed by Mark and Lard on Radio 1 around the turn of the millennium). 'I was born on Christmas Day' by St Etienne is also a favourite. 

Guilty pleasure would be 'Stop the Cavalry' by Jona Lewie. 

Fabulous tune.

14 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Fairy Tale Of New York wins it, no question.

However, those of an alternative persuasion might also like the Fall's version of Hark The Herald Angels Sing.

Many people agree with you Robbo.

Serious question though, WHY ?

Personally, I cannot stand it, but accept I am in the minority.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Jona Lewie, Stop The Cavalry. 

Technically not a Christmas song .

In an interview for Channel 4's 100 Greatest Christmas Moments, Lewie said that the song was never intended as a Christmas hit, and that it was a protest song. The line 'Wish I was at home for Christmas' as well as the brass band arrangements made it an appropriately styled song to play around Christmas time.

18 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

However, those of an alternative persuasion might also like the Fall's version of Hark The Herald Angels Sing.

Absolutely love that tune. Even more so because the wife and the mother in law hate it and would rather put on the usual saccharine shite that pervades the ears through December

11 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Many people agree with you Robbo.

Serious question though, WHY ?

Personally, I cannot stand it, but accept I am in the minority.

I think it's because it's not the usual gloop, you get this time of year. It's gritty - and down-to-earth.

Mind you, it's teetering on the edge of being done-to-death - as has happened to Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody

On 15/12/2016 at 10:18, Major Isewater said:

Technically not a Christmas song .

In an interview for Channel 4's 100 Greatest Christmas Moments, Lewie said that the song was never intended as a Christmas hit, and that it was a protest song. The line 'Wish I was at home for Christmas' as well as the brass band arrangements made it an appropriately styled song to play around Christmas time.

Same as the power of love by frankie goes to Hollywood,never a Christmas song but classed as one now

On 14/12/2016 at 16:28, Red-Robbo said:

I can't understand how anyone likes that song and thinks it's one of the best. It's a song about hate and a couple splitting up "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot... Happy Christmas you arsehole, thank God it's our last"

Personally I can't stick Christmas anymore for various reasons so its ruined it for me now. I even have a Bah Humbug hat that I wear on Christmas Day. But, if I had to pick the ultimate Christmas song, it's either Slade and Noddy giving it a good belt, or Rage Against the Machine (just because I hate X Factor drivel and love a bit of rock...)

41 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I can't understand how anyone likes that song and thinks it's one of the best. It's a song about hate and a couple splitting up "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot... Happy Christmas you arsehole, thank God it's our last"

It's "pray God it's our last" (ie. they are still together).

I think you're misreading it. It's the "bants" between a working-class Irish American couple when she finds him in the drunk tank on Christmas Day.

There are a lot of tender sentiments in that song - as well as the comical insults.  Just like when you hear a real life drunken couple bickering! 

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think you're misreading it. It's the "bants" between a working-class Irish American couple when she finds him in the drunk tank on Christmas Day.

There are a lot of tender sentiments in that song - as well as the comical insults.  Just like when you hear a real life drunken couple bickering! 

I`ve always read it as a song about hopes and dreams that are never realised because real life and human frailty get in the way.

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ah apologies. Always thought it was 'thank God'. 

Yeah, I know it's about the bants and tbf, most families have a row at Christmas. Standard. Still don't think it's very soppy or chirpy like most Christmas songs. 

Archived