IGNORED

Robert Snodgrass

Tipps69

Got what he deserved when giving a penalty away for Palace to score yesterday at Hull. Shocking dive & there is definitely no place in football for that outright cheating!!

And before anyone asks what this has to do with City, this is a football chat forum, not just a City chat forum.

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But he did apologise on Twitter and explained his point of view on the incident - so fair play to him for that

sarcasm surely?

He was always going down, there wasn't any attempt to "ride" the challenge as he claims.

He was going to dive whatever happened and that is cheating, plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It didn't look like sarcasm but it's hard to tell when it's just words written down and not verbally...

meant sarcasm from yourself.

The bloke is an unashamed cheat, I'd have more respect if he had admitted he was trying to cheat rather than lie about it

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

sarcasm surely?

He was always going down, there wasn't any attempt to "ride" the challenge as he claims.

He was going to dive whatever happened and that is cheating, plain and simple.

On MOTD they said that Snodgrass explained that he expected the defender to slide tackle into him, so jumped in anticipation but the challenge didn't happen.

As one of the pundits then commented, if he knew the penalty should not have been awarded  then why didn't he tell the ref that or deliberately miss the resulting penalty kick?

Danny Murphy said that in Scotland they can take retrospective action for something like this, but not in England !!!!

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

On MOTD they said that Snodgrass explained that he expected the defender to slide tackle into him, so jumped in anticipation but the challenge didn't happen.

As one of the pundits then commented, if he knew the penalty should not have been awarded  then why didn't he tell the ref that or deliberately miss the resulting penalty kick?

Danny Murphy said that in Scotland they can take retrospective action for something like this, but not in England !!!!

I agree with much of what they said on MOTD, but, never have I jumped a tackle and suddenly ended up flat on my face when no contact was made

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I agree with much of what they said on MOTD, but, never have I jumped a tackle and suddenly ended up flat on my face when no contact was made

I agree James.

Think the difference now is that players running into the box anticipate a challenge with the aim of going down to gain a penalty, but do so almost as a matter of course. The problem is that too many of them are very adept at making it look very convincing, especially at the pace of today's games. 

Referees might not always help themselves, but players' attitudes nowadays make their job a thankless one.

I think the sooner one of these "pros" get a retrospective ban or a straight red card during the game the better & it would surely make others think twice about doing it.

Robbie Fowler had a similar situation a few years back when playing for Liverpool against Arsenal at Highbury but he had the balls to get up & tell the ref that it wasn't a penalty & that gave the ref the opportunity to change his decision (which he did). Fowler & the ref were both praised for their actions.

The trouble Snodgrass will probably now face is that officials will / should think twice about giving him a penalty in future & it may well mean he'll miss out on legitimate penalties because there will be a lack of trust in his behaviour & rightly so. So this could do more harm than good to Hull's chances in the future but then everyone from Hull FC will be up in arms as they aren't getting the decisions go their way.

And I hardly think Mike Phealan covered himself in glory with his response either!!

Harsh there is a topic when Snodgrass does it but not for Alli last week. Maybe I missed it but call them all out on it. Awful dive last week and awful this week. I do think Snodgrass was half heartedly apologising to save face. If he was truly sorry he'd have told the ref which I believe they do in other countries at times. I do think he was anticipating contact and maybe trying to protect himself but in the end it was a dive with no contact. Should be retroactively banned and fined. 

14 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Harsh there is a topic when Snodgrass does it but not for Alli last week. Maybe I missed it but call them all out on it. Awful dive last week and awful this week. I do think Snodgrass was half heartedly apologising to save face. If he was truly sorry he'd have told the ref which I believe they do in other countries at times. I do think he was anticipating contact and maybe trying to protect himself but in the end it was a dive with no contact. Should be retroactively banned and fined. 

I haven't seen the Alli "dive", so I can't comment on something I haven't seen, sorry. I have said there's no place in the game for it & that anyone found guilty of diving should face a ban or instant red card.

33 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I haven't seen the Alli "dive", so I can't comment on something I haven't seen, sorry. I have said there's no place in the game for it & that anyone found guilty of diving should face a ban or instant red card.

Ali floated like a butterfly......

50 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

That's alright mate. Was aimed more towards the forum than you. I know it was your topic though. Sorry for that. Wasn't aimed at you specifically. 

Thought Alli's may have been worse as the defender didn't dive in but agree something needs to be done about it. 

This isn't new though, is it?

So many penalties these days come from the fouled player pushing his leg towards an often outstretched one from an opponent that isn't ever intending to foul him. Our friends over the river do this a lot and so sadly does Tomlin.

Stuff like Alli, Snodgrass is relatively easy to deal with, but the cheating like Jamie Vardy did loads of times last season, Callum Wilson repeatedly does and Daniel Sturridge too, (all of whom are English, by the way, to stop this "cheating foreigners" nonsense) is so much harder to stop..

5 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I think the sooner one of these "pros" get a retrospective ban or a straight red card during the game the better & it would surely make others think twice about doing it.

Robbie Fowler had a similar situation a few years back when playing for Liverpool against Arsenal at Highbury but he had the balls to get up & tell the ref that it wasn't a penalty & that gave the ref the opportunity to change his decision (which he did). Fowler & the ref were both praised for their actions.

The trouble Snodgrass will probably now face is that officials will / should think twice about giving him a penalty in future & it may well mean he'll miss out on legitimate penalties because there will be a lack of trust in his behaviour & rightly so. So this could do more harm than good to Hull's chances in the future but then everyone from Hull FC will be up in arms as they aren't getting the decisions go their way.

And I hardly think Mike Phealan covered himself in glory with his response either!!

Fabrication here.

The ref did not over turn his decision....Fowler took the pen keeper saved it and mcateer knocked in the rebound.

Ref was david Ellerey if my memory corrects me. Either way this idea that decision changed is nonsense

31 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Fabrication here.

The ref did not over turn his decision....Fowler took the pen keeper saved it and mcateer knocked in the rebound.

Ref was david Ellerey if my memory corrects me. Either way this idea that decision changed is nonsense

Wow, sorry I got it MASSIVELY wrong!!

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

Fabrication here.

"I didn't miss the spot-kick on purpose but I got Jason McAteer his first Reds goal"

"The Liverpool striker tumbled in the box at Highbury under a a David Seaman challenge and was awarded a spot kick by referee Gerald Ashby but immediately urged the official to change his mind."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/robbie-fowler-recalls-day-refused-8913864

1 hour ago, Griffin said:

"I didn't miss the spot-kick on purpose but I got Jason McAteer his first Reds goal"

"The Liverpool striker tumbled in the box at Highbury under a a David Seaman challenge and was awarded a spot kick by referee Gerald Ashby but immediately urged the official to change his mind."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/robbie-fowler-recalls-day-refused-8913864

Ah so the God of all knowledge, he who never gives any false information............... 

19 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Got what he deserved when giving a penalty away for Palace to score yesterday at Hull. Shocking dive & there is definitely no place in football for that outright cheating!!

And before anyone asks what this has to do with City, this is a football chat forum, not just a City chat forum.

It's nothing to do with city so you answered your own question......now you can remove the chip off your shoulder 

2 hours ago, coxyboy said:

It's nothing to do with city so you answered your own question......now you can remove the chip off your shoulder 

And read the forum title again, it's a "football chat" forum not just a "Bristol City chat" forum!!

No chip on my shoulder, I'm just more than aware of people who still click on a thread that they have no interest in & then whine that "this isn't allowed here", so I'm just saving them the bother yet still people are unable to understand the basic things in life!!

For your benefit, where would you suggest that I posted a "football discussion" from the forum options open to everyone.......... "Football Chat", "Non-Football Chat" or "Buying & Selling via EBay"?

Archived