IGNORED

Do many people wet shave with cut throat razor ?

Fiale

I have always used razors like Mach3's etc with normal shaving gel. Becoming a old fart with more time on my hands I was thinking that it was time to man up and start shaving properly. Is it worth the time, money to invest in a decent shaving set, or is it not all it's cracked up to be ?

13 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I have always used razors like Mach3's etc with normal shaving gel. Becoming a old fart with more time on my hands I was thinking that it was time to man up and start shaving properly. Is it worth the time, money to invest in a decent shaving set, or is it not all it's cracked up to be ?

Gel ??  Get a grip and use vinegar like the rest of us

13 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Gel ??  Get a grip and use vinegar like the rest of us

As a teenager being told to use aftershave, putting several large sploshes into my hand and then applying it to my pleasantly cut to ribbons face - never, never, ever is anything being applied to this shaved face other than gel, and balms.....

23 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I have always used razors like Mach3's etc with normal shaving gel. Becoming a old fart with more time on my hands I was thinking is it time to man up and do it properly.

Is it worth the money investing in a full back, sack & crack job ? or is it not all it's cracked up to be ?

Don't be shy Fiale.  We all know that this is what you really wanted to ask.... :devil: 

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

As a teenager being told to use aftershave, putting several large sploshes into my hand and then applying it to my pleasantly cut to ribbons face - never, never, ever is anything being applied to this shaved face other than gel, and balms.....

Pardon me for being so direct but ................... you Poof !! :handbags:

9 hours ago, Fiale said:

Not with my shakes!

I fly in the face of the Toiletries manufacturers' profits by using ordinary soap to smooth the blades' path. Shower shave? It's a given. But just to prove I'm not a miser, I use two razors - one for my face and one for other areas.

<Sits back and tries to hear the sound of imaginations running amok>

7 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I fly in the face of the Toiletries manufacturers' profits by using ordinary soap to smooth the blades' path. Shower shave? It's a given. But just to prove I'm not a miser, I use two razors - one for my face and one for other areas.

<Sits back and tries to hear the sound of imaginations running amok>

Me too mate, Bic disposable in the shower with just soap and water.

It`s probably the little things like that why I`m not married to Posh Spice.

I've got an old fashioned double edged razor and a straight razor.  I use the DE more because it's quicker but both are far better than cartridge razors and the blades are less than 10p each and last a few shaves.  It takes a bit of getting used to but basically once you do it's quick and a better shave and obviously far cheaper - stop putting money in Gillette's pocket and get one!

I don't use soap or gel or foam, makes your skin too soft and strips all the natural oil so you get more cuts.  Either use a bit of shaving oil or there's an american shaving product called Cremo which is some sort of water activated grease, it's about £12 a tube but will last over a year. 

Christmas morning I will open my new present and either have the smoothest face ever, or be walking around with toilet tissue splattered all over my face all day long. looking forward to it. I went with both a double edged razor and a cut throat, a wooden shaving lather bowl and some nice oils, foam etc just to experiment and see what works best. Not often I try new things at my age, am strangely looking forward to it....

As a near complete thread drift, my grandfather used a cut-throat razor. He was effectively raised by the Royal Navy as an orphan on board a ship out in Portishead Bay. He was taught to use one by shaving balloons coated in shaving cream. If he got it wrong the balloon popped. This skill became valuable when the seas turned rough.

On 13/12/2016 at 20:46, marshy said:

Never mix electricity and water.

That's sound advice in normal circumstances but I have a Braun electric razor that is 100% waterproof. Obviously I unplug it from the mains when it's fully charged before I use it in the shower.

As a female I don't shave my face. I use hair removal cream. 

However, I thought it was 'trendy' now to grow a beard like the blokes who work in Top Man up Cribbs. My Hubby has one. He loves his beard so much he is investing in a beard tin (look on Amazon) which includes 'beard wax', 'beard oil' and a beard comb. All for the princely sum of between £20 and £30.

:facepalm:

I think he's on the turn myself...

20 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

As a female I don't shave my face. I use hair removal cream. 

However, I thought it was 'trendy' now to grow a beard like the blokes who work in Top Man up Cribbs. My Hubby has one. He loves his beard so much he is investing in a beard tin (look on Amazon) which includes 'beard wax', 'beard oil' and a beard comb. All for the princely sum of between £20 and £30.

:facepalm:

I think he's on the turn myself...

Accordingly to my son, beards are soooooo last year......He shaved his off and is now looking to start a new trend.

I can hardly wait.....:facepalm:

On 15/12/2016 at 14:11, Nibor said:

I've got an old fashioned double edged razor and a straight razor.  I use the DE more because it's quicker but both are far better than cartridge razors and the blades are less than 10p each and last a few shaves.  It takes a bit of getting used to but basically once you do it's quick and a better shave and obviously far cheaper - stop putting money in Gillette's pocket and get one!

I don't use soap or gel or foam, makes your skin too soft and strips all the natural oil so you get more cuts.  Either use a bit of shaving oil or there's an american shaving product called Cremo which is some sort of water activated grease, it's about £12 a tube but will last over a year. 

Buy acqueous cream from the chemist it costs next to nothing and is not perfumed .

You can add essential oil to it if you wish (  Lavender is good being a natural antiseptic and is gentle on our manly faces ) 

On 13/12/2016 at 13:46, Fiale said:

Gel!....please gentleman,shaving brush pure bristle for the use of...

On 19/12/2016 at 15:34, Major Isewater said:

Buy acqueous cream from the chemist it costs next to nothing and is not perfumed .

You can add essential oil to it if you wish (  Lavender is good being a natural antiseptic and is gentle on our manly faces ) 

Slap on some essence of lime, then one can perambulate to one's club.

Archived