IGNORED

Two transfer windows definitely needed

Flagon

So as I sit waiting for the one of the last trains back to Weston-super-Mare rueing my own missed opportunity, on top of the others tonight, to get home before midnight after hanging on as ever in the vain hope of an equaliser I think about where these players are heading.

Great efforts were made over the summer to recruit as well as we could after a disaster last time out. Lee Johnson claims we are a still a couple of windows away from where he would like his team to be. We have in essence still a very small squad judging by the same players week in week out with a few rotations here and there. They without doubt show a hell of lot of commitment, at times looking really promising and I don't think anyone could doubt they do try and give what they can. 

However, two windows on and we could and actually should be looking at an extremely different side. On their day many of the current squad are capable of competing. But just being able to compete on "your" day is only as good as being able to keep this club in the Division, which at the end of the day is way better than last season. It's progress. 

We have done remarkably well to turn around a really tough season last year, and with some more composure at both ends of the pitch we could realistically be a touch higher up. 

But two transfer windows on how many of tonights side can you see making the cut? It could be seen as unfair to use tonight as an example as people can be too easily influenced by some poor performances but it is in essence a lot of the same players we have seen over the past season and half, plus some extra for some. 

I actually think we have TOO MANY players and this is LJ's problem as hes trying to fit them all in!

stick to a fooking game plan with a simple formation ( 352 or 3412 for me) and tell the players to pass AND MOVE!!

He quotes we got identity back tonight with passing and movement. Do we still have a huge camber on the pitch as i think little Lee didnt see the game we all saw!! 

No movement, no proper wing play. Oh very dear Lee!

3 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Think he said he needed another couple.

He did, but you said 2 windows on we should be looking at a different side, but in his tenure we are only one in. 

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

He did, but you said 2 windows on we should be looking at a different side, but in his tenure we are only one in. 

Perhaps I wasn't that clear. Yeah I meant two windows from now. His first was to pretty much get a team together after the debacle before. There looks to have been some promising youngsters that hopefully will break through one day, a few first teamers like O'dowda and Patterson it just doesn't seem to be happening for them at the moment. Engval hopefully will now start getting some time. Abraham is on loan as is Matthews so no guarantees with them staying on. Wilbs coming to an end, O'Neil not far behind. There is only really Magnusson and Flint that consistently get 90 minutes in same position along with whoever the keeper is. Abraham gets a lot of game time in same position. Everyone else seems to be being moved around game to game as he tries to find something that could work consistently. Two windows from now I think we could have a very different line up. 

8 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Perhaps I wasn't that clear. Yeah I meant two windows from now. His first was to pretty much get a team together after the debacle before. There looks to have been some promising youngsters that hopefully will break through one day, a few first teamers like O'dowda and Patterson it just doesn't seem to be happening for them at the moment. Engval hopefully will now start getting some time. Abraham is on loan as is Matthews so no guarantees with them staying on. Wilbs coming to an end, O'Neil not far behind. There is only really Magnusson and Flint that consistently get 90 minutes in same position along with whoever the keeper is. Abraham gets a lot of game time in same position. Everyone else seems to be being moved around game to game as he tries to find something that could work consistently. Two windows from now I think we could have a very different line up. 

Ah, I get you and I agree. Patterson I think was the one brought in for now and has disappointed. Not sure he's going to last. 

A bit like Cotteril as he did with Kodjia, what a gem we found in Hordur though. A bad first half then a flawless second half with a marvellous last ditch challenge. I think we're going to make a big profit on that lad. 

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Ah, I get you and I agree. Patterson I think was the one brought in for now and has disappointed. Not sure he's going to last. 

Tell me a wide player who has been consistently better than Patterson this season....because I can't think of one.....bar freeman

5 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Tell me a wide player who has been consistently better than Patterson this season....because I can't think of one.....bar freeman

Freeman would have been the one and only. But to say Patterson has been the best of a bad bunch behind doesn't say much ? 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Freeman would have been the one and only. But to say Patterson has been the best of a bad bunch behind doesn't say much ? 

No but when h first signed was excellent....a bad few games and in the wilderness.

Doesnt happen to bryan and Korey....but it should....Patterson deserves better IMO

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

No but when h first signed was excellent....a bad few games and in the wilderness.

Doesnt happen to bryan and Korey....but it should....Patterson deserves better IMO

Okay, yeah I can see that point of view. I think now we signed what Forest fans warned us we did but I appreciate we are playing others out of form but not him. 

It's not the number of windows that are important, but who you sign in each window. O''Dowda, Patterson, Brownhill and Engvall have not contributed, or looked like contributing, much this season. Engvall may have an excuse due to injury, but that's seems a bit dodgy as he's been sub a lot recently but hasn't made it onto the pitch until tonight. If we get another bunch of "ones for the future" in January, their future with us could easily be in League 1 

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Every club in the country needs two transfer windows. Shit excuse. 

What do you mean by "shit excuse." ?

I think he's had a lot to sort out in that first window but I'm genuinely curious as to what might be going through his mind at the moment. We are approaching half way point, we've done pretty well but he still seems to be struggling with the same players that struggled before for any type of consistency and perhaps surprisingly some you might think would have progressed more don't seem to be. For example I wouldn't say Freeman was great last season, he's had a lot of chances this season and a couple of games he's looked promising  - I'm not convinced he's really stepping up though to the level needed but O'dowda and Patterson don't seem to be doing it either. Same with Little, full of endeavour and gives his all but not up to the role I think Johnson wants out of him. I thought Bryan might come through more but I've yet to see him really get going this season. Smith to be fair has come back from injury so is not looking quite as sharp. Reid looks to have come on pretty well and started to score but has now missed a fair few chances too. 

There is a lot to do still

3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I don't trust him with two more transfer windows. 

It's an interesting one as we haven't really been playing a lot of the actual new players of late and we have without doubt begun sliding a bit. For me it seems to go back to the Sheff Wednesday game after O'Neil got sent off. 

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It's not the number of windows that are important, but who you sign in each window. O''Dowda, Patterson, Brownhill and Engvall have not contributed, or looked like contributing, much this season. Engvall may have an excuse due to injury, but that's seems a bit dodgy as he's been sub a lot recently but hasn't made it onto the pitch until tonight. If we get another bunch of "ones for the future" in January, their future with us could easily be in League 1 

I think the idea is O'D Brownhill and Engvall at least would be contributing more and more as the season progressed ready to start the next running: and that still seems fair. Patterson is the one I thought was bought for instant impact and has flattered but could come good nonetheless.

I don't agree "could easily be in League 1"... I think it would take some serious underperformances, the like we are yet to see for that to happen.  Today was the kind of game last year we would have lost 4-0 - indeed we did 4-1 didn't we? -  we had chances to score but Hogan would have put each of his away is what I'm getting at.

We are in place that we are bemoaning how abject we were when the reality is we spurned 3 glorious opportunities and lost to a wicked deflection. 

7 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I don't trust him with two more transfer windows. 

Honestly shocked by that statement.  Brownhill cost us relatively little, Magnusson was an absolute steal and the profit in him alone covers Engvall, Tomlin is worth at least as much as we paid, O'Neill worth his wages and O'Dowda and Moore the kind of punts we must want to take which could still bear big dividends. 

I can see he bought too many developers for some but perhaps that was why he said 3 windows. The first was to get those who will grow in to the team in 12-18 months with training (Brownhill, Engvall, Moore, Lucic and O'Dowda) , the second and third are to get the rest in with experience so by the third window all are tying up the loose ends. 

Logic would dictate if you need 3 to windows in the first you go for potential with steadying influences (GO'N and Ekstrand - with whom we've been unfortunate). It's the period between second and third from which you must really judge him (and mark Ashton). 

Archived