IGNORED

Booby Reid

Benjam!n Ultra

2 hours ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Would he get into another championship side? 

If so, who would Rotherham drop to accommodate him?

Always find it bizarre how questions like this always appear to assume that all other Championship sides have unanimously brilliant players who all put in 10/10 performances every week.  Bobby Reid is a half-decent footballer who is sometimes excellent, sometimes average and sometimes poor. He has strengths and weaknesses in his game - just like pretty much every midfielder playing in the English second tier.  From what I've seen of Reid this season, he is one of our most improved players and now looks more at home in the Championship than he's ever done.

It reminds me of Cole Skuse, who often split opinion and was sometimes accused of getting favourable treatment because he was local.  Yet he now plays regularly for another Championship side and was doing so while we were languishing in League One.

Think we judge someone in that position on assists and chance conversion rate.

Tomlin's good but doesn't contribute to the team as much as Reid, who is only fair on assists and poor on chances. One of many dilemmas -ala Abraham loan forward - that Lee is facing and the reason, I assume, he chops and changes the team so much. Reid is one of many who seems to have plateaued in terms of development.

Lee and Mark must know what they're doing. Few managers though get 3 transfer windows, most would have sorted out a clear pattern of play by now.

Been a bit worried for a couple of months,  but you've got to believe 'cause the alternative is not good. How this is going to get sorted in a notoriously difficult January window is anyone's guess! 

40 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Best pass of the night, felt he and Hogan were the 2 better players in the game. Piched up the ball just outside our area, ran with the ball into space (I think a lot of our players forget you don;t have to pass if there is space ahead of you). Put through a perfect through ball to Tammy, who was then 1v1 with their keeper.

ScreenShot_20161214130034.png

ScreenShot_20161214130056.png

ScreenShot_20161214130133.png

ScreenShot_20161214130204.png

ScreenShot_20161214130226.png

Really was excellent from Reid.

On the contrary to others suggesting he gets looked on favourably due to being a local lad/coming through the academy I would actually argue that if more high profile/expensive players in our squad had done that last night there would be a thread praising them regardless of the rest of their performance, whereas with Reid we have a thread saying he wouldn't get into anybody else in this division's team.

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Really was excellent from Reid.

On the contrary to others suggesting he gets looked on favourably due to being a local lad/coming through the academy I would actually argue that if more high profile/expensive players in our squad had done that last night there would be a thread praising them regardless of the rest of their performance, whereas with Reid we have a thread saying he wouldn't get into anybody else in this division's team.

He's not going to sleep with you mate. 

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Your comments on Reid compared to your love for Freeman are bizarre in the extreme imo.

No doubt we see things differently cidercity, but many on the forum who were at the game have stated they also thought Freeman was City's outstanding player last night.

If you'd written off Luke Freeman, like many others on OTIB, perhaps you're starting to have second thoughts?

Bobby made a great run and pass, highlighted by Fiale above, which we all know as a talented player he is capable of, but to me it was something of a one off by him in a game where otherwise he was fairly ineffectual.

That sums up BR as far as I'm concerned, he's a naturally talented player who is more than capable of the occasional exceptional moment, but whether he's worth such a regular place over 90 minutes remains doubtful.

It seems to me his occasional eye catching flair gets fans on his side meaning they tend to overlook the reality that he very often flatters to deceive.

I won't label your differing views as 'bizarre' though, it's all about opinions as they say.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

One of the most improved players under Johnson. Needs a lot of work on his finishing if he wants to be an out and out number 10 but I'm sure both he and the coaching staff know that full well. 

On the pitch, at least, he has the perfect mentor in Lee Tomlin. 

I wouldn't want him to copy the petulant poser show pony that is Tomlin. Be yourself son. Think maybe Lee is getting a bit too big for his britches, he is paid massive money and should be producing and scoring more, it's not all about him. 

24 minutes ago, shelts said:

I wouldn't want him to copy the petulant poser show pony that is Tomlin. Be yourself son. Think maybe Lee is getting a bit too big for his britches, he is paid massive money and should be producing and scoring more, it's not all about him. 

In terms of his range and quality of passing, technique, vision and finishing, he absolutely should be trying to learn from Tomlin.

I'm not suggesting he should try and be like him but he has much to learn and Tomlin much to share. 

Pretty harsh words there, we all knew Tomlin was petulant when we begged the board to sign him. 

No one at the club has more assists than Lee and only Tammy has netted more. Pretty harsh to single him out for criticism. 

Reid is Championship quality. He could be more assertive, but that comes with confidence and he has to improve his goals per shot ratio . I'm sure the coaching staff work on this. I'd like him to be the complete player now , maybe his progress is a year behind where it should be but whether he's from Bristol or Bognor I think he should be stuck with . 

Re Bryan, I'm at a loss what's happening there. I don't think he wants the ball enough a sign of a loss of confidence.He appears to look more like a Scrum Half than a Left Back / Left Winger . Maybe that's his future . 

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

In terms of his range and quality of passing, technique, vision and finishing, he absolutely should be trying to learn from Tomlin.

I'm not suggesting he should try and be like him but he has much to learn and Tomlin much to share. 

Pretty harsh words there, we all knew Tomlin was petulant when we begged the board to sign him. 

No one at the club has more assists than Lee and only Tammy has netted more. Pretty harsh to single him out for criticism. 

We were so bad last year he was the leader. The best footballer at BS3 by a country mile he needs to be pushed to the limit to get the maximum out of his ability. I think Tomlin being dropped and a dip in our form might not be a coincidence . He should be head and shoulders above the rest, he is paid rather handsomely , our problem is where to play him , he's not a centre forward or centre midfield which is Johnsons problem. His craft I agree is worth copying. He has loads more to give 

5 minutes ago, shelts said:

We were so bad last year he was the leader. The best footballer at BS3 by a country mile he needs to be pushed to the limit to get the maximum out of his ability. I think Tomlin being dropped and a dip in our form might not be a coincidence . He should be head and shoulders above the rest, he is paid rather handsomely , our problem is where to play him , he's not a centre forward or centre midfield which is Johnsons problem. His craft I agree is worth copying. He has loads more to give 

Undoubtedly Tomlin has more to give but still a class above everyone else in the team in terms of finishing and creating of chances. 

IMO he is without a shadow of a doubt a nailed on number 10. He should be played centrally behind the striker(s) and nowhere else. He's not a winger or a deep lying playmaker, he's a perfect number 10.

11 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Undoubtedly Tomlin has more to give but still a class above everyone else in the team in terms of finishing and creating of chances. 

IMO he is without a shadow of a doubt a nailed on number 10. He should be played centrally behind the striker(s) and nowhere else. He's not a winger or a deep lying playmaker, he's a perfect number 10.

Behind the front two agreed. Trundle and Stewart were two not played in their best positions and I fear the axe for Lee as we maybe sacrifice attractive football for gaining points. Like we bought him and then wondered where or how our shape would be. 

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

Behind the front two agreed. Trundle and Stewart were two not played in their best positions and I fear the axe for Lee as we maybe sacrifice attractive football for gaining points. Like we bought him and then wondered where or how our shape would be. 

Reading between the lines I'd say it's nothing to do with our shape or tactics as to why he was left out but I guess time will tell.....

Thought Bobby was great last night and think people have a jealousy factor around him and JB because we all wish we had their opportunity. 

He moved the ball at pace and drove forward with the ball, had a couple of great chances to score and his finishing will improve. He was tenacious in the tackle and agree with above the best pass of the night put it on a plate for Tammy. 

Brings more to the team than Tomlin in terms of workrate and for me tried to stay close to Tammy and gave him good support. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It was an important, and publicised, part of LJ's remit to show there was a clear and visible pathway for local players from the Academy to the first team.

It may therefore be that he is more willing to overlook deficiencies of local players, and give then more sustained opportunities to impress, than others who may be of a similar standard, i.e. in BR's case Brownhill, but who are not invested with the same long term hopes of those within the club.

It is very notable how the club, through the OS, make a point of stressing the inclusion of local players as being a huge positive, i.e. last night the OS pre match headline, 'Bristolian duo recalled for Brentford clash' where the big news, in fact, was the manager 'resting' his own most expensive signing.

Bobby Reid has made more appearances this season than any other City midfielder. I'm not sure such near constant inclusion has always been justified, nor do I think he would have been so prominent without the clubs policy of pushing home grown players, or indeed whether he would have been such a mainstay under another manager who hadn't known him since coaching him at u.14 level.

A lot of those appearances are as subs, and given the poor form of Freeman and Bryan in many games, it isn't surprising that BR has put in more midfield shifts than anyone bar Tomlin.

Highlighting Bristolian players and academy products' achievements is a long way from favouring them, and I'm afraid I just don't buy it.

I've outlined what he brings to the side and I think he is VFM in providing that. Last night, he started very brightly but then faded towards the end, when he was out in an unfamiliar wing position and the direction of our attack was (attempted) route one to two strikers.

Is he one of the best midfielers in the Championship? No. But he more than justifies selection, in view of the competition here at present.

Bobby Reid is our only attacking threat from central midfield (I am discounting Tomlin as he cannot be classed as a central midfielder). Nobody else in this team makes the effort to get forward and support the forwards in the box like he does and I like others on this thread don't understand why there is such animosity shown towards him!? Yes he has missed a few in front of goal and his finishing needs to improve but who else even makes the runs to get into those positions and support Abraham??

Before this season I'd  have said no he isn't good enough to make a real lasting impression on our team. This season I've been very impressed with him and think he deserves his place in the side. He's chipped in with a few goals and whilst he has missed a few good chances he is at least getting into dangerous positions. The fact he's a local lad is nice but to me makes no difference as to whether he plays or not

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:49, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Would he get into another championship side? 

If so, who would Rotherham drop to accommodate him?

Dear oh dear, he's one of the first names on my team sheet.

He's our only truly attacking central midfielder.

Do you not see how much ground he covers every match?

He has come on so much from last year.

I think the reason he might not play all of the matches would be more due to tiredness because of his style of play.

Archived