IGNORED

Team for Saturday

Davefevs

Ha....lots of people criticising Lee for constantly changing the team, now everyone wants to change the team!

Personally, I'd stick with the same starting 11 as Tuesday. Yes Brentford had chances, but that was largely down to defensive errors, and at the same time we created some great scoring opportunities ourselves, and if one of those had gone in I believe we would have gone on to win 2 or 3 - 0.

Tough decision I know to drop Tomlin again, but it really can't help the other players confidence to be dropped again after one game.

24 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Ha....lots of people criticising Lee for constantly changing the team, now everyone wants to change the team!

Personally, I'd stick with the same starting 11 as Tuesday. Yes Brentford had chances, but that was largely down to defensive errors, and at the same time we created some great scoring opportunities ourselves, and if one of those had gone in I believe we would have gone on to win 2 or 3 - 0.

Tough decision I know to drop Tomlin again, but it really can't help the other players confidence to be dropped again after one game.

It's going to be interesting to see how certain older pro's, who have played at a higher level, Like Tomlin and GoN, will react to being dropped or even asked to do something they are not so sure about. You are either Professional and listen to your manager and trust their judgement, or unprofessional and react like you know better. I've always been impressed by Wilbs attitude, of getting on and doing what he's been asked and not complaining, reacting in a positive way and seeing it for the good of the team.

You find this with certain players, not saying it's the case here, but when you have a younger manager close to your own age, some find it hard to 'respect' them for the position they've earned.

This happened here not so long ago. A player became manager, and someone in the team who had played with him, just couldn't except being told what to do from him, or even acknowledge him as 'Gaffer'. That player didn't last long.

Lucic in goal.

Same back four as Tuesday. Although for me Magnusson's form has dropped off a cliff and I'd be tempted to play Moore as he impressed me against Hull.

Pack, Reid, Paterson, Tomlin and Freeman in midfield. Those five made up the midfield away at Fulham and home to Leeds and I thought they were two excellent performances and we haven't played with that midfield again since.

Tammy up front.

11 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Lucic in goal.

Same back four as Tuesday. Although for me Magnusson's form has dropped off a cliff and I'd be tempted to play Moore as he impressed me against Hull.

Pack, Reid, Paterson, Tomlin and Freeman in midfield. Those five made up the midfield away at Fulham and home to Leeds and I thought they were two excellent performances and we haven't played with that midfield again since.

Tammy up front.

Seriously?

I thought he was a candidate for MOM on Tuesday personally.

12 hours ago, nickolas said:

Fielding/Lucic

moore flint mags

Matthews pack reid odowda

Tomlin

tammy engvall

3412 for me. Need to pack the midfield to gain control of the game. This is also the only way we can cope with two up top otherwise we are powderpuff in midfield. 

GON is injured so maybe could start if not. Tomlin has to play central and further forward. 

I see Preston used 532 tonight at forest so interesting to see if they do that again. 

I am expecting another bore if i am honest. 

I think you'll find we're only allowed 1 GK. Shame but rules are rules !

20 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Seriously?

I thought he was a candidate for MOM on Tuesday personally.

Seriously?

He was distinctly average. Set up on a plate one of the one on one chances by flapping.

His long throws offer nothing and when we needed assured quick, short passes from the back in the last 20 he was the one aimlessly lumping it upfield.

I like him and rate him but if Moore ever gets his chance as a direct swap - I think Magnusson will spend the rest of the season on the bench as Moore is definitely a class act at central defence and my only concern is he gets fed up and chips on !!

Lucic

Matthews    Flint    Magnusson   Golbourne

O'Neil

Reid             Tomlin

Paterson                           Freeman

Abraham

Pack for O'Neil if he is indeed injured.

We desperately need a settled formation and a settled team. Too many changes. Also, I heard this morning LJ say if Fielding is not fit it will be either Lucic or ROD in goal. What is going on? Surely it must be Lucic? This just serves to illustrate hit and miss selections. We need a formation that maximises our strengths. For me we have problems in key areas of the pitch and are always open to concede even when we have been playing well. Lee Tomlin is part of the problem because he must be included but we have not yet found a formation that has utilised his strengths. To see him wasted on the left hand side is :( and he does not provide cover for the full back = we are open.

Thus for me, I would deploy 41311 and give Tomlin licence to roam but with orders to be closer to Abraham when he is doing it!  Also, Brownhill was a standout player for Barnsley and I dont think he has been given enough chances. We then have the flexibility to bring on fresh legs and attacking impetus with Reid, O'dowda and Engvall. 

Subs - O'Donnell, Moore, Reid, O'dowda, Smith, Engvall

Lucic

Matthews Flint Magnusson Goldbourne

Pack

Paterson Brownhill Freeman

Tomlin

Abraham

6 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

You've talked about packing the midfield but only Marlon is an out and out midfielder. Bobby Reid is an attacking midfielder but you have not included Brownhill, O'Neil or Smith.

you also said you expect another bore, surely you are not saying that Tuesday night was boring? It was like playground football. If Hogan and Tammy had their shooting boots on it could easily have been 6-6.

It wasnt exciting though. A lot of chances came from errors. 

We have a lack of playing style at the moment and very little movement. GON is injured so i didnt include him and brownhill i dont think gets in ahead of the others and Smith has simply been sh1te!

---------------------------------------Lucic---------------------------------------

Matthews--------------Flint------------------Magners---------------Bryan

----------------------------------------Pack---------------------------------------

---------------Reid------------------Tomlin---------------Freeman-----------

-------------------------Tammy-----------------Wilbs---------------------------

Finally the penny has dropped. I'm on candid camera!  How else could it be that the top scorer of the opponents are 4 times free on goal because of City errors? I don't know what to say anymore. If someone got loads and loads and loads of money and don't know how to waste it they know where to turn. How to burn money is the business idea of Bristol City Football Club.

I’d like to see this slump hit head on with energy, pace, and attacking threat:

Lucic

Matthews         Flint      Magners           Goldbourne

Reid                 GON

Engval              Tomlin              O’dowda

Tammy

We have seen that Engval and O’dowda have pace, so get them to run at the defensive line and shake them up, crossing, chasing lost balls, high pressing, and giving Tomlin and Reid more options than the man-marked Tammy, thus giving Tammy space too. Plus Engval I think is right footed (?) and O’dowda is left footed, so low drilled crosses into the six yard box please. Whilst I agree that our defence needs two in front to protect them, we need those two to link up to players ahead, thus why Reid there will help pass it forward, plus he can press and run himself ragged in the midfield to help us win back the ball – subbed by Brownhill to do the same if he tires too much.  The more static GON, or pack if he is injured, can complement this by shielding our two centre backs.

I would pick Bryan for his attacking threat, but he needs a bit of time on the sidelines; he sounded close to tears in the interview played on radio Bristol before the game.

Bench- fit keeper, moore (if we want 352), brownhill (for reid), bryan (for goldbourne), pack (for Gon), freeman (o’dowda or engval.)

Old School.

A chance of scoring in the first half with this attacking line. Worth a try IMHO with both winger's staying wide  and getting early crosses into the box.

GK -Lukic

Right Back-Matthews                                                                                Left Back  Goldbourne

Right Half----Pack (O Neil if fit)                                   Centre Half Flint                                                        Left Half... Magnusson

Right Wing Patterson     Inside Right Reid             Centre Forward  Abraham          Inside left Tomlin                             Left Wing  Freeman

Subs Envail , Wilbraham, Bryan , O'Dowda , Brownhill,  Fit Keeper

3 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Can't believe how many are keeping the same 2 centre backs playing together. The last few games they have looked so nervous it is untrue. Time to get Moore in alongside Flint and move Magnusson to left back (where he plays for Iceland). Bryan on current form and Golbourne are not the answer for me at left back. 

Do you not think this is because of FF behind them? Ths is why O'Donnell was a breath or fresh air when he came in dominating the box, rather than catching a nose bleed after the 6 yard line. 

We were pretty much undone first half Tuesday just by mistakes around the backline. 

51 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Old School.

A chance of scoring in the first half with this attacking line. Worth a try IMHO with both winger's staying wide  and getting early crosses into the box.

GK -Lukic

Right Back-Matthews                                                                                Left Back  Goldbourne

Right Half----Pack (O Neil if fit)                                   Centre Half Flint                                                        Left Half... Magnusson

Right Wing Patterson     Inside Right Reid             Centre Forward  Abraham          Inside left Tomlin                             Left Wing  Freeman

Subs Envail , Wilbraham, Bryan , O'Dowda , Brownhill,  Fit Keeper

Old School?

Subs?

Bare Eleven I'm afraid!!!

:P

14 hours ago, Neo said:

Lukic

Moore - Flint - Magnusson

Matthews - Pack - Reid - Golborne

Engvall - Abraham - Tomlin

I'd like to see some variation of this. Joe would be better in a sort of midfield/wing back / full back role and if Oneil was fit he'd be in my 11 instead of Reid. Maybe Brownhill for Mathews to give more of a wide MF role on the right. but I like the formation, works for Chelsea. Would give scope for LT to drop off with two runners ahead of him.

26 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Do you not think this is because of FF behind them? Ths is why O'Donnell was a breath or fresh air when he came in dominating the box, rather than catching a nose bleed after the 6 yard line. 

We were pretty much undone first half Tuesday just by mistakes around the backline. 

Yes i remember now how O'Donnell and Flint were always on the same wavelength!!

12 hours ago, RedM said:

Tuesday, heard it in the car going to the match. Said it was a hamstring tear. After the match they (caller/presenter) were saying it was a grade 1 tear, but couldn't remember if that was the most severe or least, graded one to four/five I think they said. Then I read somewhere yesterday it was 'only' a grade one, the least severe, might only be out for days

Three weeks was quoted.

A few variations on a theme is what I can see from this.

We need at least 1 strong(ish) holding midfielder & most prefer Pack to Smith.

We need Tomlin to have a free role in attacking midfield.

We need 2 upfront so someone can take the strain off of Tammy. Ideally someone quick.

So it's either 3-4-1-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 (a midfield diamond). The problem is yet another change of formation & probably personnel, although less changes with diamond. And having to play players who are not on form as the best fits for the formation.

Assuming Frankie is fit he plays. If not, I would go with O'Donnell. Lucic looked like an accident waiting to happen on Tuesday.

Fielding

Moore - Flint -Magnusson

Brownhill - Pack - Reid - Bryan

Tomlin

Abraham - Engvall

OR

Fielding

Matthews - Flint - Magnusson - Goulbourne

Pack

Freeman - Bryan

Tomlin

Abraham - Engvall

12 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

A few variations on a theme is what I can see from this.

We need at least 1 strong(ish) holding midfielder & most prefer Pack to Smith.

We need Tomlin to have a free role in attacking midfield.

We need 2 upfront so someone can take the strain off of Tammy. Ideally someone quick.

So it's either 3-4-1-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 (a midfield diamond). The problem is yet another change of formation & probably personnel, although less changes with diamond. And having to play players who are not on form as the best fits for the formation.

Assuming Frankie is fit he plays. If not, I would go with O'Donnell. Lucic looked like an accident waiting to happen on Tuesday.

Fielding

Moore - Flint -Magnusson

Brownhill - Pack - Reid - Bryan

Tomlin

Abraham - Engvall

OR

Fielding

Matthews - Flint - Magnusson - Goulbourne

Pack

Freeman - Bryan

Tomlin

Abraham - Engvall