IGNORED

When to avoid OTIB....

brizzlelou

Seemingly the best times to avoid this place are every other Tuesday around 9:30 to about Thursday evening and Saturdays from about 4:45 until Monday afternoon. If you do click on OTIB during those time then there is an extremely high risk of venom poisoning! You have been warned! Also hazards of slipping on all the worms and snakes that crawl out from under rocks aswell!

I usually avoid this place when I reach the point where my posts have more stars than actual word's.

I actually was dreading coming on here yesterday but I actually think there have been as many balanced posts to answer the critics and vitriol.

I have certainly known it a lot worse. 

The basic premise must be you don't support City for the enjoyment it brings. Supporting City is like signing a lifelong contract whereby hope and joy is quickly followed by despair and anger. It must follow, that part of this contract, is you must read the forum and sometimes get the good stuff, and sometimes the rubbish. 

3 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

Just seems to me that theirs the odd few posters that are ONLY negative. They only post when things are bad. 

Yeah there are a load who literally only post when we've lost. It's quite sad. You can actually imagine them constructing their vitriol as they leave the stadium (early of course - they've got a train to catch you know.....)

You've just got to take it with a pinch of salt really. Some fans are just venting their frustrations. Some don't have any idea about how football works...no idea at all, you can judge that by the absolute rubbish they post. The frustration of the club being on a poor run, is just a sad reflection of how important winning means to the happiness in their lives. Sometimes you've just got to sit back and realise it's just a game of football, and how stupid it is arguing over it...especially as none of the words written on this forum hold any power. Sure it's a hobby or passion and we can share that...but some of the stuff written on here, is just pure frustration.

When it gets like this on the forum, I'm always reminded of an article written a while back...

Football fans are idiots... https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/sep/02/sport.blueprintforabetterfootball

1 hour ago, brizzlelou said:

Seemingly the best times to avoid this place are every other Tuesday around 9:30 to about Thursday evening and Saturdays from about 4:45 until Monday afternoon. If you do click on OTIB during those time then there is an extremely high risk of venom poisoning! You have been warned! Also hazards of slipping on all the worms and snakes that crawl out from under rocks aswell!

When we lose I normally stay away for a day or two just to think about the game calmly and go over the game I saw (which will be different to the other 95% of fans) I don't pick on one player and think he was crap I try to work out how we could have helped him be better. the best players always have an unglamorous team mate who does the work . 

33 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

Just seems to me that theirs the odd few posters that are ONLY negative. They only post when things are bad. 

That's my main issue with it. Most people will praise when we do well, criticise when we don't but won't go OTT either way. However there are a small minority who literally go missing in action when we win but are on virtually every thread when we lose. 

I remember when I first watched City, Alan Dicks was manager and we were struggling near the foot of Div 2 (what's now the Championship). The knives were regularly out, with chants of 'Dicks must go' echoing around the stadium, some of the performances were poor to say the least. However the board could see his long term plan and stuck with it resulting in the club's most successful period in the last 90 years or so. We might be in a similar situation today, so let's give LJ a chance, we know that changing managers regularly leads to a fragmented squad which in turn leads to relegation.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I remember when I first watched City, Alan Dicks was manager and we were struggling near the foot of Div 2 (what's now the Championship). The knives were regularly out, with chants of 'Dicks must go' echoing around the stadium, some of the performances were poor to say the least. However the board could see his long term plan and stuck with it resulting in the club's most successful period in the last 90 years or so. We might be in a similar situation today, so let's give LJ a chance, we know that changing managers regularly leads to a fragmented squad which in turn leads to relegation.

Yes. It took 10 years at that level, many of them near the bottom, before we got to the top division. We were well entertained and learnt to live with the bad runs as well as the good.

P.S. It wasn't "Dicks must go", it was the famous "Dicks Out"!

4 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

So you dont like a forum that has debate? You like all sweet and nice with lots of LJ loving.

The problem is that a few defeats brings back all the really boring tits that are negative about everything and rarely have any interesting insight.  

Criticism is fine when it's accurate, constructive and balanced.  Some people are just shit at posting anything worth reading though.  You know what I mean?

For me the issue is whenever we get a run of form you see everyone praise the manager and the team but the second we start slipping the knives and daggers come out and the manager and players start to feel them. Had we started off awful and gone on a run of form which took us from the relegation zone to 15th where we are now people would be singing Johnsons praises and talking about how the team are showing spirit etc. Instead of that we have a lot of people complaining because they see us slipping down the positions which is always likely to happen when you consider our squad and the league we are in. 
There are 15 points between the play offs and relegation, this league is a tight league and when you have teams like Wigan and Blackburn in the relegation zone and Bolton are in League One you have to accept that we could be in a far worse position than we are. Even when you look at the Premier League you can see how quickly a club can fall or rise, I mean look at Chelsea, 6 games into the Prem they were 8th and looking awful, 10 games later and they're 6 points clear at the top. One decent run of form from us and we could be right back up there in the battle of the play offs but that's still a lot to ask from this team who are mainly young.

The other thing that worries me is when we're winning and doing well people say "Johnson was very informative", "Johnsons interviews are great" etc and then when we start slipping those same people say "excuses", "what is Johnson on about?!" when in truth he's being as honest and open as he can be. He can't exactly turn around and say "Abraham is the only one who looks like scoring", I mean he could, but then he'd basically be saying "The only person who looks likely to score at times is that lad who plays for Chelsea, our own strikers are shit".

Having watched the change since Johnson came in I think it's time this club actually sticks with a manager rather than panicking when fickle fans who won't accept anything but a win start calling for his head. Even Alex Ferguson was at United 4 years before he won anything and 6 years before he won the Premier League, it takes time to actually turn a club into the vision you have of it and chopping and changing all of the time is like hitting a reset button. Johnson is the first manager in a long time that we've had that seems to be passionate to do well, on good terms with the board and their ideas of how to progress and he's done some good business since coming in.

I honestly wish the fans of this club could just get behind someone properly without needing them to win every game.

There are a lot of clueless individuals at Ashton Gate who literally know f*** all about football and the rules of the game. Not limited to one particular stand either.

Usually, but not exclusively, these people are easily identifiable by wearing overpriced replica shirts, complete with sky bet arm patches, who feel the need to justify their 'expert' opinions by speaking loudly and shouting non-sense. This also extends to posting tripe on internet forums.

To quote millionaire American drug baron Frank Lucas: "The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room."

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

you are far too sensible!!

11 minutes ago, SARJ said:

There are a lot of clueless individuals at Ashton Gate who literally know f*** all about football and the rules of the game. Not limited to one particular stand either.

Usually, but not exclusively, these people are easily identifiable by wearing overpriced replica shirts, complete with sky bet arm patches, who feel the need to justify their 'expert' opinions by speaking loudly and shouting non-sense. This also extends to posting tripe on internet forums.

To quote millionaire American drug baron Frank Lucas: "The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room."

I have a shirt like that but that's because I make football kits and I love to look at the details when I'm replicating them for Pro Evo, I don't fall into the stereotype that you're creating :P

3 hours ago, Fatalist said:

Yes. It took 10 years at that level, many of them near the bottom, before we got to the top division. We were well entertained and learnt to live with the bad runs as well as the good.

P.S. It wasn't "Dicks must go", it was the famous "Dicks Out"!

It was definitely "Dicks must go" when I was watching them. Can't ever remember "Dicks out" being sung, I think this is one of those things that someone dreamt up in later years which is now taken as fact. Anyone else from that time remember (ie around 1971-73)?

44 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It was definitely "Dicks must go" when I was watching them. Can't ever remember "Dicks out" being sung, I think this is one of those things that someone dreamt up in later years which is now taken as fact. Anyone else from that time remember (ie around 1971-73)?

Wasn't Dicks out a Fulham chant rather than City?

8 hours ago, brizzlelou said:

Previously I've been sat next to people like this in the ground. They're silent if we're playing well then very loud if any player makes a mistake - "useless!, rubbish!" Etc.  I actually get the impression they prefer it when we lose as they seem very grumpy when we win. Why do that to yourself? Get another hobby! 

Archived