IGNORED

What kind of contributor are you?

Jerseybean

Will always follow my club, been over 50yrs now.......BUT hate the new ground sh1te and modern footie; haven't been down since the EE got chopped :facepalm:

Cant see me going back anytime soon, sorry:sad26:

8 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Look forward to seeing some further labels being suggested for OTIB contributors.

2 more:-

"In X we trust" - blind optimism that the gaffer 'knows what he's doing and will turn it round eventually'. I used to be in this camp. If I ever become a football club chairman the managers would only leave by dying.

"The Outsider". Fans of other clubs that start off with ' Hi. xxxx xxxx FC fan here in peace', who then go on to get in a heated row with just about everyone on here. Even the occasional :gasmask: fans appear for some godforsaken reason.

Anyway, I'm a Humourist these days. If you didn't laugh, you'd be crying.

3 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

"In X we trust" - blind optimism that the gaffer 'knows what he's doing and will turn it round eventually'. I used to be in this camp. If I ever become a football club chairman the managers would only leave by dying.

"The Outsider". Fans of other clubs that start off with ' Hi. xxxx xxxx FC fan here in peace', who then go on to get in a heated row with just about everyone on here. Even the occasional :gasmask: fans appear for some godforsaken reason.

I think this is me but only with certain managers, not all of them. I am still in this camp.... I think.

7 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Thank you, both these types frequently appear. Rather conveniently we now have ten labels, an omen for sure as we WILL BE 10th AT THE END OF THE SEASON....there I've said it now, light red touch paper, stand well back and decide for yourself which label applies to all subsequent posts in this thread.

You need to include the "Kneejerk Jerks"…………a nebulous, constantly evolving sub section who react to defeats, draws or victories without ever taking a balanced or longterm perspective. They race to their keyboards and thrash away instantly, reacting to what ever the current trajectory happens to be.  If we have suffered a loss, then the manager must go, whoever is scapegoat of the week, is a waste of skin, and we are plummeting to relegation. A win, and the manager is a tactical genius and we are sure to reach the play offs, and his signings are a stroke of brilliance who will take us to the promised land.  Fortunately we haven't drawn many games recently……..as this can lead to confusion, bewilderment and long term discombobulation.

57 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You need to include the "Kneejerk Jerks"…………a nebulous, constantly evolving sub section who react to defeats, draws or victories without ever taking a balanced or longterm perspective. They race to their keyboards and thrash away instantly, reacting to what ever the current trajectory happens to be.  If we have suffered a loss, then the manager must go, whoever is scapegoat of the week, is a waste of skin, and we are plummeting to relegation. A win, and the manager is a tactical genius and we are sure to reach the play offs, and his signings are a stroke of brilliance who will take us to the promised land.  Fortunately we haven't drawn many games recently……..as this can lead to confusion, bewilderment and long term discombobulation.

Excellent addition, that's eleven then.

So the current list of OTIB usual types reads like this:

Fantasists - those who are persuaded we are on the verge of the Premiership, sometimes referred to as deluded, the blind faithful or eternal optimists.

Seen it all before - posters who will not be phased or surprised by whatever happens, often beginning their posts with 'As a life-long City fan....' or 'I remember when.....'

Realists - contributors who weigh-up the evidence/facts, consider the pros and cons and look to offer something approaching a realistic/balanced view.

Fuelled by emotion - the emotions vary, but frequently include anger, ecstasy, excitement, disappointment, expectation, frustration, disbelief, etc, etc. Often the feelings are so powerful that they simply consume the contributor.

Educational - informative and remarkably well constructed posts which include historical, geographical, statistical, cultural, etc, etc, insights.

Humour - which covers the whole spectrum, it frequently involves puns, sarcasm, observation, self deprecation, bonding-in-the-moment, dry wit, jokes at others expense (often the Gas) and over/under statement.

Bashers - things are just never good enough, whether it's on or off the pitch it is just not good enough as far as such posters are concerned, otherwise known as the moaners, knockers, pessimists, etc

In x we trust - blind faith/optimism that the gaffer knows what he's doing and will turn it around.

Outsiders - fans from other clubs who start off with 'Hi xx FC fan here in peace' who then go onto get into a heated row with just about everybody on OTIB. Even occasional Gas Heads appear for some godforsaken reason.

Kneejerk jerks - a nebulous, constantly evolving sub-section who react to defeats, draws or victories without ever taking a balanced or long-term perspective. They race to their keyboards and thrash away instantly reacting to whatever the current trajectory happens to be. If we have suffered a loss, then the manager must go, whoever is scapegoat of the week is a waste of skin and we are plummeting to relegation. A win and the manager is a tactical genius and his signings are all a stroke of brilliance, last week's scapegoat is a hero and  we are sure to reach the promised land.

CTID - regardless of everything else those who will support the City forever.

Look forward to seeing further labels being suggested for OTIB contributors.

Reckon with a bit of time and interest someone could configure a great matrix to illustrate what happens when any of the OTIB usual types comes across any one of the other usual types. We are, for example, all very familiar with the classic Fantasist v Basher scenario.  

My posts can be a bit mixed.

I try to post reasoned stuff, but I also post some sh1t too.  I'm quite a loyal poster, trying to give reasons why a player might've had an off-day, rather than he's sh1t and should never play again.  I'm not one who posts extremes.

A voyeur perhaps?  I read this forum everyday but as you can see posting - not so much.

Oh and also a 'has been' - given it has been 10 years since my last City game, most of my comments / replies start with 'I remember when...' or something similar.

So there you have it, a voyeuring has been.  

Informant is missing - posters who claim to have access to vital and hitherto unknown information about what's about to happen e.g. incoming / outgoing players and managers, such claims often start with 'Just seen xxx in the chippy in North Street' or 'My sister's, ex-neighbour's, boyfriend, knows a tatooist and guess what Tomo is having etched on his left buttock'

I think I fit most of those categories. You missed off Gas Basher though....

The trouble is that when you have lived and breathed your club competing amongst the elite you crave it again.

Off the pitch has always been our achillies heel. We are lucky to have a guy like SL investing in us. It's just a shame that we still have that footballing naivety that keeps us locked in a frustrating boom and bust loop.

There is nothing more I want than to see us get it right and build the momentum and keep improving, but I am really struggling to see the improvements this season.

Having been going down the Gate since what has now passed into legend as 'The Glory Days' ('76-77 onwards), I feel I am in a position to take a wider perspective and therefore offer a more balanced and valuable opinion. After all, experience is what you get when you don't get what you want, eh? Seen the good times and the bad. Been elated beyond Earth's atmosphere, been in a foul scowl for days. Seen all manner of madness: wild celebrations, numbing mediocrity, jaw-dropping action, pitiful pathos and all the bits in between. It's what my week, indeed my life, is based around.

Football can be a cruel mistress or a genie in a bottle. It is the ultimate of temptation and pleasure, the depths of despair and hurt; an addiction that rewards and repels with equal measure. I cannot imagine what my life would be without football.

Doesn't stop me doing my fruit when it all goes down the bowl though.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I'm an optimistic pessimist who has seen it all before, but is continually surprised by the new things I see

Im the opposite Pongo - a pessimistic optimist who has seen it all before but is never surprised by new things I see ( as far as football is concerned )

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Having been going down the Gate since what has now passed into legend as 'The Glory Days' ('76-77 onwards), I feel I am in a position to take a wider perspective and therefore offer a more balanced and valuable opinion. After all, experience is what you get when you don't get what you want, eh? Seen the good times and the bad. Been elated beyond Earth's atmosphere, been in a foul scowl for days. Seen all manner of madness: wild celebrations, numbing mediocrity, jaw-dropping action, pitiful pathos and all the bits in between. It's what my week, indeed my life, is based around.

Football can be a cruel mistress or a genie in a bottle. It is the ultimate of temptation and pleasure, the depths of despair and hurt; an addiction that rewards and repels with equal measure. I cannot imagine what my life would be without football.

Doesn't stop me doing my fruit when it all goes down the bowl though.

Reckon that makes you a combo of seen it all before, emotion fuelled, occasional basher although  seemingly you will always be CTID.

Archived