IGNORED

What kind of contributor are you?

Jerseybean

I'm a relative newbie to OTIB. Strikes me that regular contributors come at things from various perspectives, with plenty of evidence of the following among protagonists:

Fantasists - those who are persuaded we are on the verge of the Premiership, sometimes referred to as deluded, the blind faithful or eternal optimists.

Seen it all before - posters who will not be phased or surprised by whatever happens, often beginning their posts with 'As a life-long City fan....' or 'I remember when.....'

Realists - contributors who weigh-up the evidence/facts, consider the pros and cons and look to offer something approaching a realistic/balanced view.

Fuelled by emotion - the emotions vary, but frequently include anger, ecstasy, excitement, disappointment, expectation, frustration, disbelief, etc, etc. Often the feelings are so powerful that they simply consume the contributor.

Educational - informative and remarkably well constructed posts which include historical, geographical, statistical, cultural, etc, etc, insights.

Humour - which covers the whole spectrum, it frequently involves puns, sarcasm, observation, self deprecation, bonding-in-the-moment, dry wit, jokes at others expense (often the Gas) and over/under statement.

Bashers - things are just never good enough, whether it's on or off the pitch it is just not good enough as far as such posters are concerned, otherwise known as the moaners, knockers, pessimists, etc

Look forward to seeing some further labels being suggested for OTIB contributors.

Reckon with a bit of time and interest someone could configure a great matrix to illustrate what happens when any of the OTIB usual types comes across any one of the other usual types. We are, for example, all very familiar with the classic Fantasist v Basher scenario.  

Finally, I am in the type known as CTID - roughly defined as whatever happens I will support my team forever.

After over 50 years supporting City I'd class myself  as a realist but still having some of my boyhood optimism to counter my scepticism about modern football. And after those 50 years like to think some humour helps make being  City supporter more bearable.

Welcome aboard the good ship OTIB ( to pinch Havana's nautical theme for the day!) and hope you enjoy the rough and tumble of a pretty good forum.

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

Truthful to myself - as opposed to the many who change their mind to suit the mood in a sad attempt to get their like counts up.

Popular as a city win or as popular as syphilis - both are fine with me !!

Can I choose a city win as the better option?

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

After over 50 years supporting City I'd class myself  as a realist but still having some of my boyhood optimism to counter my scepticism about modern football. And after those 50 years like to think some humour helps make being  City supporter more bearable.

Welcome aboard the good ship OTIB ( to pinch Havana's nautical theme for the day!) and hope you enjoy the rough and tumble of a pretty good forum.

I've clocked up over 50 years too Downendcity and it's certainly been a character building journey. Reckon we probably are all made up of the various elements I've listed, just that some contributors present as being overwhelmingly one type or another. Shipshape and Bristol fashion!

11 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I've clocked up over 50 years too Downendcity and it's certainly been a character building journey. Reckon we probably are all made up of the various elements I've listed, just that some contributors present as being overwhelmingly one type or another. Shipshape and Bristol fashion!

Following City reveals character more than builds it. As we'll see later if we fail to win....

58 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I'm a relative newbie to OTIB. Strikes me that regular contributors come at things from various perspectives, with plenty of evidence of the following among protagonists:

Fantasists - those who are persuaded we are on the verge of the Premiership, sometimes referred to as deluded, the blind faithful or eternal optimists.

Seen it all before - posters who will not be phased or surprised by whatever happens, often beginning their posts with 'As a life-long City fan....' or 'I remember when.....'

Realists - contributors who weigh-up the evidence/facts, consider the pros and cons and look to offer something approaching a realistic/balanced view.

Fuelled by emotion - the emotions vary, but frequently include anger, ecstasy, excitement, disappointment, expectation, frustration, disbelief, etc, etc. Often the feelings are so powerful that they simply consume the contributor.

Educational - informative and remarkably well constructed posts which include historical, geographical, statistical, cultural, etc, etc, insights.

Humour - which covers the whole spectrum, it frequently involves puns, sarcasm, observation, self deprecation, bonding-in-the-moment, dry wit, jokes at others expense (often the Gas) and over/under statement.

Bashers - things are just never good enough, whether it's on or off the pitch it is just not good enough as far as such posters are concerned, otherwise known as the moaners, knockers, pessimists, etc

Look forward to seeing some further labels being suggested for OTIB contributors.

Reckon with a bit of time and interest someone could configure a great matrix to illustrate what happens when any of the OTIB usual types comes across any one of the other usual types. We are, for example, all very familiar with the classic Fantasist v Basher scenario.  

Finally, I am in the type known as CTID - roughly defined as whatever happens I will support my team forever.

I am a Fsrfehb. This is a new word amalgamation courtesy of you meaning 'having supported a team for so long I have every single emotion going'.

16 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I am a Fsrfehb. This is a new word amalgamation courtesy of you meaning 'having supported a team for so long I have every single emotion going'.

Indeed Hav that might be so, nevertheless however much a FSRFEHB you might be it will forever be the E for which you are saluted. 

I suppose Fantasist would be closest of those; I would prefer "over loyal". I always want us to stick with a manager or player whereas if it was at another club I would be able to see that they should be replaced.

If I had had my way then Cotts would still be manager and we would have been relegated to the third division.

And I would have been wrong.

Probably a bit of everything.. In the past, "fuelled by emotion" would have been the best fit. I've always found it difficult to control my passion for BCFC (not in terms of violence or aggression may I add). These days I guess im more of a realist with a slight glass half full swing. Theres certainly the full spectrum on this forum which makes it an interesting read.

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

City for over 50 years. Tend to leave all the "football insight jargon" bullshit to the "experts", 

I 'm more of a history guy. Join in the "in my day" threads and if ! spot an error (as many people will know) I'M ON IT !

Also tend to sulk and not read/post after a defeat, haven't been on much recently ! :grr:

Yeah, I would need a bloody history of Bristol City book 64 to 79 to get one past you.

Ever applied to mastermind?

Pretty much like you after defeat. Before all this internet stuff would buy 5 or 6Sunday papers if we had a good win and only the Independent for local games after a loss!!!!

Let's hope were in a good mood after today. 3/1 win for the CITY.

Archived