IGNORED

Time for some honest assessments...

formerly known as ivan

6 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Because, he's been everywhere, to study, Barcelona, Real Madrid and, er, Skonto Riga (no, me neither) where they don't play a big target man up top, with pacey players around him. They play a narrow three behind a teenager who is knackered. Presumably. So, that's what we do here.

When you've got a £1m pitch with no mud on it in December, it would be an insult to the groundsman - and the bloke that stumped up the £1m for the nice pitch - to play a big target man and pacey players around him. We only resort to anything remotely resembling that sort of thing when desperately chasing an equaliser and half the crowd are away up the road to their cars.

Skonto Riga are from the capital of Latvia, no surprise that LJ went there,  as his dad was manager of Latvia years ago. Not exactly the standard of Barcelona or Real Madrid, more the standard of Estonia, who beat them not long ago.  So would have been very enlightening, I joke!

49 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

You are 100% right, we are crying out for pace. Freeman, Paterson, Tomlin can't run in behind. After a promising debut it's odd we haven't seen more of O'Dowda as he would add some. All the best championship sides we've played since we've been back up have kept it tight at the back and counter attack with pace. We can't do it. 

Yes, pace is so, so important in this division. We've added it this season and as a result are looking much more dynamic and potent going forward.

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Skonto Riga are from the capital of Latvia, no surprise that LJ went there,  as his dad was manager of Latvia years ago. Not exactly the standard of Barcelona or Real Madrid, more the standard of Estonia, who beat them not long ago.  So would have been very enlightening, I joke!

And I'm not sold on the 'studied Real Madrid / Barcelona ' 

Great idea to go and have a look , most serious coaches do, but IMHO the idea should be to pick up the odd thing that may help , not to try and replicate it in the English Championship 

Studying something doesn't make you an expert (It can help) and knowledge doesn't mean you can implement it

Not knocking the 'study' at all but many have done this and it doesn't guarantee you will be a good coach

One of my worries is Lees head is too full of philosophies and ethos and I think he may be confusing the players at times with his constant changes & tinkering

Certainly players won't be swayed by modern football expressions & buzzwords alone

Just my opinion / belief 

( Would like Lee to do well but jury's still on hold for me ATM - be fascinating how he copes with this slump and what action he takes)

14 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And I'm not sold on the 'studied Real Madrid / Barcelona ' 

Great idea to go and have a look , most serious coaches do, but IMHO the idea should be to pick up the odd thing that may help , not to try and replicate it in the English Championship 

Studying something doesn't make you an expert (It can help) and knowledge doesn't mean you can implement it

Not knocking the 'study' at all but many have done this and it doesn't guarantee you will be a good coach

One of my worries is Lees head is too full of philosophies and ethos and I think he may be confusing the players at times with his constant changes & tinkering

Certainly players won't be swayed by modern football expressions & buzzwords alone

Just my opinion / belief 

( Would like Lee to do well but jury's still on hold for me ATM - be fascinating how he copes with this slump and what action he takes)

I tend to agree with this, you could study Michaelangelo's superb work on the ceiling of the Sistene Chapel and be inspired, but that doesn't mean that you, as an artist with limited materials, experience and in a completely different environment, would be able to replicate it!!!!

Your point about the myriad philosophies/ethos that LJ seems to be immersed in is spot on to my mind. Along with his 'Tinkerman'  tendencies, both in terms of selection and formation, these factors are, in my view, almost the  mirrored opposite of Cotterill's inflexible and rigid adherence to 3-5-2. LJ's indecisive approach seems to be having an effect similar to that of Cotterill's dogmatic attitude, when, despite the damage his reluctance to change was obviously having, he clearly wouldn't budge!!

I want LJ to succeed. The grass isn't always greener etc. The previous OTIB clamour for change inflicted both the Coppell fiasco and O'Driscoll, on our club. But like you I'm really intrigued to see how the boss digs himself out of this very worrying rut. Difficult days ahead. Keeping The Faith though!!

3 hours ago, Andy Horsman said:

I tend to agree with this, you could study Michaelangelo's superb work on the ceiling of the Sistene Chapel and be inspired, but that doesn't mean that you, as an artist with limited materials, experience and in a completely different environment, would be able to replicate it!!!!

Your point about the myriad philosophies/ethos that LJ seems to be immersed in is spot on to my mind. Along with his 'Tinkerman'  tendencies, both in terms of selection and formation, these factors are, in my view, almost the  mirrored opposite of Cotterill's inflexible and rigid adherence to 3-5-2. LJ's indecisive approach seems to be having an effect similar to that of Cotterill's dogmatic attitude, when, despite the damage his reluctance to change was obviously having, he clearly wouldn't budge!!

I want LJ to succeed. The grass isn't always greener etc. The previous OTIB clamour for change inflicted both the Coppell fiasco and O'Driscoll, on our club. But like you I'm really intrigued to see how the boss digs himself out of this very worrying rut. Difficult days ahead. Keeping The Faith though!!

What a good post and better explained than I did :thumbsup:

The Michaelangelo scenario explains it so,well

Interesting assessment, some of which I agree with, some of which I very much don't.  Reid is probably our best player at the moment and should be starting every week.  Tomlin, is he the quickest? No! Is he committed, very much so.  You could see him hurrying the players on after Wilbs goal.  City are very much down without him.  Bryant, Pack, and Freeman have nothing more to offer at this level. I'd also certainly start giving Taylor Moore a start over Magnusson.  What's to lose?  

We have the makings of a good team, but again too many weak points individually.

The one's that stand out for me are at LB. Joe Bryan, just isn't good enough at the defensive roll of a LB...great when going forward, but drifts, loses his shape, either goes in too close to the opponent and dives in or gives too much room. Can't stop a cross for toffee...first goal and when they hit the cross bar, both JB's fault.

Think we are ok at CB.

Matthews is improving every game. Think he's been feeling his way back to fitness and not over stretching himself. Got forward as well yesterday and produced a sublime cross for the goal.

GoN...his legs have gone imo. Has an engine...but it needs a turbo...plus his set piece deliveries are awful. Hardly ever gets past the first defender.

Pack...going about his job ok. Needs pace around him.

Smith...totally lacking this season imo.

Tomlin...he's our biggest problem. Sublime footballing skills, but so were mine in the school playground. Which is what it looks like when he plays. We don't need him collecting the ball on the edge of our own box. Playing a pass then just jogging about a bit. Then receiving it again and laying it off and standing still. We need him in the last third...playing those exquisite balls into Tammy or another pressing player. When he goes wandering...nobody seems to know where to cover the space he's left....then we get stretched and players are out of position and scrambling to find the right thing to do. For all his skills and passing...he causes more problems than he's worth, playing the way he does now. He needs to be restrained and told to play higher up field where we can penetrate better imo. I don't think he has the engine to play the way he does effectively. He was blowing out his arse after the first 15 mins on Saturday, and actually went hiding for a breather after one quick burst. I don't think he even had an effort on goal on Saturday. Very frustrating...looks nice...but it isn't effective.

Tammy...just needs some luck, a bit of composure and some physical help along side him. Movement could be better as well.

All the others are 'Squad' players imo.

Odowda, Pattersen ,Moore, Engval and Brownhill, were brought in for the near future imo. We've risked buying them cheaper with an intention of developing them here, rather than improving elsewhere and having to pay more for them.

The January window needs a Wilbs type player to help Tammy....someone with experience and quality and a good physicality and engine about him.

GoN needs replacing with Championship quality and experience. But with some physicality about them. Our midfield is way too soft for this division in that department.

An experienced LB is essential.

Another Keeper...Declan Rudd from Charlton/Norwich would be perfect.

Basically 4 new players and Tomlin have his leash pulled in a bit.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Tomlin...he's our biggest problem. Sublime footballing skills, but so were mine in the school playground. Which is what it looks like when he plays. We don't need him collecting the ball on the edge of our own box. Playing a pass then just jogging about a bit. Then receiving it again and laying it off and standing still. We need him in the last third...playing those exquisite balls into Tammy or another pressing player. When he goes wandering...nobody seems to know where to cover the space he's left....then we get stretched and players are out of position and scrambling to find the right thing to do. For all his skills and passing...he causes more problems than he's worth, playing the way he does now. He needs to be restrained and told to play higher up field where we can penetrate better imo.

I think Tomlin’s game suffers due to the lack of technical quality around him as he often plays passes that other players, except maybe Reid, are not thinking far enough ahead to anticipate. Tomlin wants to influence the game, and in the Matt le Tissier mould I think he can, but I feel the fact he comes deep is because he receives such poor service from our midfield. I feel sorry for our manager’s conundrum. Reid would help provide the service if he played further back in midfield in place of one of the two holding midfielders, who tend to pass sideways rather than ahead; yet Reid is one of our only attacking threats, especially considering how Tammy is marked out of games now. Plus LJ knows how vulnerable our slow cb’s are to pace when players run at them, thus why, I guess, he prefers two holding midfielders. I guess he hoped that Korey could play this holding role and provide good linkage, but he has been lacking. Yet Brownhill, whilst he may have technical ability, might lack the physical presence to muscle in. One option that seems to have not been considered is that Moore has played as a defensive midfielder before, thus may be perfect for this role.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 09:26, Spoons said:

Well if bobby Reid was available for £500,000 there would be a que of clubs in our league who would have him!

Major over reaction to a poor run of form. What were your expectations before the season?

Mine were to stay up and no end of season panic. I still think that will be the case. Lots of city fans have unrealistic expectations about where we should be in the league/ who we will sign and how big a club we really are !

what do you mean unrealistic, to just stay up is a very defeatist attitude, while it is hard to compete with ex prem clubs other teams seem to manage it. we should not settle for being just average why shouldn't we have dreams of success I have said before we are not that small a club we can do it

46 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

I think Tomlin’s game suffers due to the lack of technical quality around him as he often plays passes that other players, except maybe Reid, are not thinking far enough ahead to anticipate. Tomlin wants to influence the game, and in the Matt le Tissier mould I think he can, but I feel the fact he comes deep is because he receives such poor service from our midfield. I feel sorry for our manager’s conundrum. Reid would help provide the service if he played further back in midfield in place of one of the two holding midfielders, who tend to pass sideways rather than ahead; yet Reid is one of our only attacking threats, especially considering how Tammy is marked out of games now. Plus LJ knows how vulnerable our slow cb’s are to pace when players run at them, thus why, I guess, he prefers two holding midfielders. I guess he hoped that Korey could play this holding role and provide good linkage, but he has been lacking. Yet Brownhill, whilst he may have technical ability, might lack the physical presence to muscle in. One option that seems to have not been considered is that Moore has played as a defensive midfielder before, thus may be perfect for this role.

Interesting / Good post that

Bottom line as anyone who has coached or managed should say is that (Unless part of a discussed tactical plan with somebody immediately taking LTs 10 role at that point) It is not Lee Tomlins Job when playing as a 10 to pick the ball up from centre halves,

He is trying to do others jobs whilst no-one is doing his as the primary link with TA

On 18 December 2016 at 07:59, formerly known as ivan said:

At the risk of some backlash...

Starting with the keepers, none of which are up to the required standard. Desperately need a top keeper and quick!

Mark Little, least said about his footballing ability the better! At least Matthews is starting to look like the play of last season and someone we should be looking to keep.

Golbourne and Bryan are not decent championship left backs if we want to push forward. 

Flint and Magnusson I believe are two very good individual defenders but moments like Prestons first yesterday when the big centre forward had all the space in the world in the 6 yard box are all to familiar. Thinking a back three with Moore and Mags either side of Flint may be worth a try...?

Pack was one of my players of the season last season but seems a shadow of himself this. How many times did he miss control the ball yesterday? How the number of stray passes was embarrassing. Another potential candidate for replacing.

Korey also seems to be struggling to meet the high standards he sets himself. Can only guess it's down the the injury that kept him out of the start of the season. Hoping he can return to his old self sooner rather than later.

GON started the season well but has faded badly. Been carrying a few knocks here and there which could be why or maybe age starting to play its part?

Bobby Reid... will continue to divide opinion between fans. Thought he was shocking yesterday. Talk of a £5m player... I would take £500k tomorrow! Not what we need if we want to progress.

Freeman will always struggle for consistency. Used his right foot a couple of times yesterday which made a refreshing change. Still not sure if the championship is a level above him?

Paterson, what a pointless signing! Clearly no better than the players we already have here. Will look ok in glimpses but not hard to see why a Forest team struggling for numbers were happy to let him go.

Not sure what O'Dowda has done wrong lately but I believe he needs to be given a run in the team. He has looked a bit inexperienced at times but when things aren't going well why not see what he can offer.

Tomlin Tomlin Tomlin... at least try and look interested even if your not! Very much been in the Tomlin fan club since he came here on loan and was as excited as anyone  else when we signed him in the summer but right now too much of a luxury. Would not be bothered if he left come January.

Tammy, think we all believed we had a future England international on our hands when we signed him. Couldn't look further from that play now if he tried! People will say about his age and he will develop as a player which of course is true but a natural goal scorer will score goals regardless of their age. Had he take his chances over the last few games things would be looking a lot better than they are currently.

What can you say about Wilbs. Still looks our biggest threat even at the age of 37. If more of our players played with the pride and passion of this man we would do alright. A shame we can't play 90 mins week in week out. A model pro and will be difficult to replace.

Anyone not mentioned, Brownhill/Engvall for example, just aren't worth the mention at the moment though would like to see Brownhill start after his cameo appearance yesterday.

So all in all other than Matthews, Flint, Mags, Moore and Wilbs (Tammy if he starts scoring again!) everyone else can be replaced for the greater good of the club.

As for Johnson, talk of the sack are premature. Why a new contract was offered is anyone's guess. Certainly hadn't done much to earn it on the pitch. Still believe this should have been reviewed at the end of the season when they could reflect on how things had gone cus based on the last few weeks he shouldn't have been offered a new deal!

Good post and I agree with most of it......I hope Lee and Steve read it.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

what do you mean unrealistic, to just stay up is a very defeatist attitude, while it is hard to compete with ex prem clubs other teams seem to manage it. we should not settle for being just average why shouldn't we have dreams of success I have said before we are not that small a club we can do it

We are a lot smaller than most teams in our league. Are expectations should be to cement a place in this championship over a few seasons then progress from their. It's not a defeatist attitude but a realistic one especially when we are up against 12 teams( I think?) who are currently receiving or have just finished their parachute payments from the premiership. This also splits are league into three. And we are in the bottom tier trying to push for the mid table safety area. In a few years it might be more realistic to try and push on but let's not run before we can walk. Don't want to end up with over paid older players on long contracts to chase a unrealistic dream at the cost of the whole clubs stability.

Keepers

Don't know what's happened to ROD, maybe he has just had an extreme crisis of confidence. Frankie can make outstanding saves, but also horrible errors - as fans we can't seriously expect him to ever change this, Basso never did and nor did James. Some keepers are just prone to the occasional howler. Lucic looks OK at best.

Defence

Little is out of his depth, this is obvious - however he does put 100% in. Magnusson is a class act, but it wouldn't suprise me if he gets dragged down in performance levels if we start sliding down the table. Flint will only ever be a limited defender and trying to play him as anything else is pointless. Bryan is rapidly becoming a utility style player with no real strength in any out and out position.

Midfield

GON hasn't impressed me all season to be honest. He may spread play well at times, but is equally out-paced, out-battled physically and looks a much more fatigued player than say, Wilbraham. Across the board our midfield is so consistently inconsistent! There is no doubt we have talented players there, but for whatever reason it doesn't quite click.

Strikers

We can't rely on Tammy forever, and I do feel we have over-worked a 19 year old. Wilbraham has pleased me with his contribution and professionalism but he is only one man in team of 11. Tomlin also has done well, but due to the nature of his playing style he will inevitably drift in and out of matches and there will be games that suit him and games that won't. LJ has to know when to play to his (and therefore our) strengths and when to neutralise the opposition.

4 hours ago, Spoons said:

We are a lot smaller than most teams in our league. Are expectations should be to cement a place in this championship over a few seasons then progress from their. It's not a defeatist attitude but a realistic one especially when we are up against 12 teams( I think?) who are currently receiving or have just finished their parachute payments from the premiership. This also splits are league into three. And we are in the bottom tier trying to push for the mid table safety area. In a few years it might be more realistic to try and push on but let's not run before we can walk. Don't want to end up with over paid older players on long contracts to chase a unrealistic dream at the cost of the whole clubs stability.

I agree with almost all you say, I just get frustrated because we are always seemingly trying to consolidate, we nearly did it in 2008 we did not push on from there, and we never seem to learn from past mistakes. I agree nobody wants to endanger the clubs future but we as supporters cant always be happy just to be in the championship but what the answer is who knows 

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

Everyone saying this criticism is an over reaction had better be right because we're getting dragged very close to the bottom 3...

We are 2 wins and a draw clear of the relegation places. The games come thick and fast over the Christmas period so we will know by the New Year what the craic really is.

Playing 1 upfront at home though is killing us as much as Cotts 3-5-2.

The way we are playing we need to go 7-1-2!!!!!

Archived