IGNORED

Nice cross for our goal yesterday....

Jack Dawe

.....I thought Adam's body language, as he whipped that ball over to Wilbs on the back stick, was encouraging, and indicated a determination to do something about the fact we were a goal down. Well done Adam. More of that please.

A rare moment of quality in the attacking third of the field for us. 

100% agree - I thought Adam Matthews was our best player yesterday and also produced his best game since last season, and that's saying something as I didn't expect him to still be playing for us after earlier in the season. As you say he looked to take far more responsibility than he was earlier in the season, as @Red-Robbo has said elsewhere, confidence was a big issue and it was odd to see Matthews, the one with zero confidence two months ago, playing with a lot more purpose and belief than any of his teammates. He made better decisions than Bryan on when to overlap and also produced better crosses.

The goal was the first cross where we got the timing, distance and speed spot on. I wish they kept stats on number of crosses versus number of crosses that reached a teammate, because I'm pretty sure our stats would be very poor in that department, and only get worse if you included set pieces.

If we were only to make one signing in January, please, please, let it be a wide/ right ( winger)  player with pace, preferably a good crosser of the ball as well. He would give our central midfielders the option they desperately need, it would also allow Matthews the chance to get further forward,support him and whip more balls in like yesterday's.

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

If we were only to make one signing in January, please, please, let it be a wide/ right ( winger)  player with pace, preferably a good crosser of the ball as well.

Pop quiz... which expensive signing is our manager referring to here:

"I think if you asked him, he'd say he's best cutting in from the right-hand side, but he can operate in a ball-carrying number ten role and is also an accomplished left-sided midfielder. I like being fluid and he offers us versatility."

39 minutes ago, Olé said:

"I think if you asked him, he'd say he's best cutting in from the right-hand side, but he can operate in a ball-carrying number ten role and is also an accomplished left-sided midfielder. I like being fluid and he offers us versatility."

R O'D?

46 minutes ago, Olé said:

O'Dowda was it not? 

Can't tell what he does to be honest as we don't see him play but then at the same time we dont want tinkering.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Was definitely O'Dowda. I believe he is a left sided winger though. Beat a man and get a cross in. Like what I've seen of him. Draws loads of fouls which is a good sign for young players. Think he's been a product of trying to fit players into spots they don't play. Bryan, Freeman and Tomlin all trying to be fit in and often on the left. Poor COD has probably been used as a makeshift striker more recently than a winger. 

Ive said it numerous times, he needs to start. Keeps wide, can beat the full back with a trick or pace and draws fouls. His end product needs work but he won't get that sitting and not as if we are on a run right now where no one can be dropped. He'd fit well in a 4-4-2 I think with Freeman on the right. End product from both isn't great but that's what we need to be patient with. That's why they're at a championship club and in particular Bristol City. If they finished in the bottom corner or had pin point crosses every time, they wouldn't be here. 

The cross and header were lovely to watch, and rare this year. I love to see a Dave Smith type run, bomb down the line hit a cross on the run ., everyones running toward the goal... chaos. 

1. What we get with players playing on their opposite side is.... run to the FB, stop, look around, watch the overlap,stop, feign to cut inside, check everyone's back in position,play across midfield to the other wing and repeat. :facepalm:

9 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I thought or crossing in general was dreadful, lost count the number of times our free kicks were cleared by their first man.

I counted six crosses either from dead balls or in open play that were cleared by the first defender, and I didn't start counting until the second half.

We aren't alone  in being guilty of this, and I can only presume that a flat kick is considered the easiest to attack and score from

Matthews cross was perfect, nice and early so the defenders were facing their own goal and the forward was moving toward the goal, Wilbs didn't need to put any power on it just head back across the goal, something JB could have done against Brentford, but didn't.

2 hours ago, Countryfile said:

I counted six crosses either from dead balls or in open play that were cleared by the first defender, and I didn't start counting until the second half.

We aren't alone  in being guilty of this, and I can only presume that a flat kick is considered the easiest to attack and score from

Matthews cross was perfect, nice and early so the defenders were facing their own goal and the forward was moving toward the goal, Wilbs didn't need to put any power on it just head back across the goal, something JB could have done against Brentford, but didn't.

I think if Wilb's played 90 mins in each o the last two games instead of Tammy, we would have won both. 

Archived