IGNORED

Greg Cunningham

BRISTOL86

Perhaps I'm just tired and still grumpy from the weekend but is he getting on anyone else's tits or just me? 

Last year he got a hero's welcome from our fans and acted like an absolute cockwomble. I wrote that off to him having personals with Cotts and that he didn't mean any disrespect to the fans that paid his handsome wages for the three years he was here. 

This year he again gets a fantastic warm reception (better than we give our own players and manager in some cases!) and again feels the need to take to Twitter after the game? 

Guy hasn't tweeted for three weeks but needs to comment after beating us?

Ok all he said was 'I bloody love football' but the guy is clearly only tweeting with one intention - winding up City fans. 

Why do we continue to be so respectful to someone who clearly doesn't demonstrate any back? He clearly has ill feeling towards the club as a whole - not just towards Steve Cotterill.

Some of our fans for some bizarre reason gave him a round of applause DURING the game whilst taking a corner(!) yet the same people probably booed our own manager and players on the final whistle. 

Mind boggling.

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

If Im not mistaken he did a barely noticeable tap of the Preston badge as he came over to take one corner in front of the Atyeo (home fans side).

He's a massive wind up merchant. Which is absolutely fine, but why we continue to give so much respect to someone who hates the club is beyond me. Especially as we boo our own players but give this clown a standing ovation!

28 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Perhaps I'm just tired and still grumpy from the weekend but is he getting on anyone else's tits or just me? 

Last year he got a hero's welcome from our fans and acted like an absolute cockwomble. I wrote that off to him having personals with Cotts and that he didn't mean any disrespect to the fans that paid his handsome wages for the three years he was here. 

This year he again gets a fantastic warm reception (better than we give our own players and manager in some cases!) and again feels the need to take to Twitter after the game? 

Ok all he said was 'I bloody love football' but the guy is clearly only tweeting with one intention - winding up City fans. 

Why do we continue to be so respectful to someone who clearly doesn't demonstrate any back? He clearly has ill feeling towards the club as a whole - not just towards Steve Cotterill.

Some of our fans for some bizarre reason gave him a round of applause DURING the game whilst taking a corner(!) yet the same people probably booed our own manager and players on the final whistle. 

Mind boggling.

Cockwomble...:rofl2br:

9 minutes ago, Super said:

who had the last laugh again.

Well, I doubt very much he got a pay rise by joining Preston and they may be above us at present, but there is no guarantee they will finish the season there.

I just think it reflects really poorly on him, if he was someone who had been targeted by the crowd when he was here then I could totally understand it, but as others have mentioned, he never was.

Even last season when it appeared to be something personal between him and Cotts is fair enough in my book, but after getting another good reception and winning the game to go and behave like this on Saturday just makes you think he is a bit of a cock.

You can't blame either Cunningham or the club for his transfer.

Cotts changed the formation which meant we went with wing backs and between GC and Joe Bryan the latter was better at the position .

Add to that GC's injury from which he had n't fully recovered and when he played looked a shadow of the storming Left Back that he was previously.

He demanded and merited regular first team football which he was n't getting here .

Preston was a good move for the player and a correct decision from the club at the time .

Anyway its all water under the bridge now .

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Last 2 seasons he has come here and won with PNE. Like I said above he would walk into our team now at LB given how bad SG and JB are.

That's not the debate. I respected him a lot as a player, but his actions on his return have left a very sour taste.

He clearly harbours ill feeling towards the club - for what I'm not sure - but I think it's quite disrespectful to fans who have shown him a huge amount of respect on his visits back. 

Hopefully it won't be so welcoming on his third visit, but considering we still clap Holloway whilst booing our own manager and players I'm not holding my breath! 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You can't blame either Cunningham or the club for his transfer.

Cotts changed the formation which meant we went with wing backs and between GC and Joe Bryan the latter was better at the position .

Add to that GC's injury from which he had n't fully recovered and when he played looked a shadow of the storming Left Back that he was previously.

He demanded and merited regular first team football which he was n't getting here .

Preston was a good move for the player and a correct decision from the club at the time .

Anyway its all water under the bridge now .

Again can't argue with any of that - but the point was more about his complete lack of class on his return, twice now.

Just a bit disappointing considering he's had one of the best receptions I've seen for a returning player, on two occasions. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That's not the debate. I respected him a lot as a player, but his actions on his return have left a very sour taste.

He clearly harbours ill feeling towards the club - for what I'm not sure - but I think it's quite disrespectful to fans who have shown him a huge amount of respect on his visits back. 

Hopefully it won't be so welcoming on his third visit, but considering we still clap Holloway whilst booing our own manager and players I'm not holding my breath! 

For thinking he was not good enough at this level?

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think he was treated very badly by us.  To my mind he was always the best left back at the club (and he was certainly the best left back on the field on Saturday) but Cotterill squeezed him out.  Not surprised he wants to do a bit of "I told you so" when he comes back. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Again can't argue with any of that - but the point was more about his complete lack of class on his return, twice now.

Just a bit disappointing considering he's had one of the best receptions I've seen for a returning player, on two occasions

Which is quite bizarre in itself.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

For thinking he was not good enough at this level?

It was Cotts who sold him, and to be fair Joe Bryan was performing better than him for a long spell. 

He was always popular with the fans - even after he left. 

So given it's been ten months since Cotts left, I'm not sure who he's 'sticking it to' when PNE beat us?

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think he was treated very badly by us.  To my mind he was always the best left back at the club (and he was certainly the best left back on the field on Saturday) but Cotterill squeezed him out.  Not surprised he wants to do a bit of "I told you so" when he comes back. 

Except Cotts left nearly a year ago? I don't remember any fans calling for him to leave. 

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Except Cotts left nearly a year ago? I don't remember any fans calling for him to leave. 

Quite the opposite I thought- Most i know were gutted he had left.

Was talking to a group of Preston fans in the Nova Scotia before the game... They honestly couldn't believe we just let him go!

2 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Quite the opposite I thought- Most i know were gutted he had left.

Was talking to a group of Preston fans in the Nova Scotia before the game... They honestly couldn't believe we just let him go!

That's what I mean. It's not like he was a scapegoat or the fans got on his back.

He was universally liked and well respected. He just happened to be the second best left back we had at the time. 

And given a very warm welcome back which he threw in the faces of those who paid his wages for three years. 

Just didn't sit well with me. And as for applauding the opponents whilst the game is in progress....Jesus wept. We have fans who can't bear to get behind OUR manager but were up giving St. Greg his well deserved ovation! :facepalm:

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

If Im not mistaken he did a barely noticeable tap of the Preston badge as he came over to take one corner in front of the Atyeo (home fans side).

Not saying I'm right as it was a small movement like you said, however I thought he gave us a very small clap in return (like two claps). If he'd tapped the badge, I'm sure that enough people would have seen and not been best pleased.

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He tweeted after what was for the neutral, a great game. His side scored a late winner at his former club. I'm not on board with his tweeting history but surely you can understand the delight and relief that comes with winning like that. It might even provoke him to tweet about his delight.

I feel like this thread is a bit of a storm in a tea cup, with the only real point being the booing of our own players, which I wholeheartedly disagree with.   

3 hours ago, Super said:

only thing that winds me up is that he would walk into our team.

Agreed, Cotts fault by not playing him was the reason for him leaving and who can blame a player who is good enough,  but doesn't get a chance to prove it. A bit like LJ with Engvall.

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That's what I mean. It's not like he was a scapegoat or the fans got on his back.

He was universally liked and well respected. He just happened to be the second best left back we had at the time. 

And given a very warm welcome back which he threw in the faces of those who paid his wages for three years. 

Just didn't sit well with me. And as for applauding the opponents whilst the game is in progress....Jesus wept. We have fans who can't bear to get behind OUR manager but were up giving St. Greg his well deserved ovation! :facepalm:

Many returning players get a clap by home fans when going to take a corner (Goldbourne got one when taking a throw in down by the corner flag at Wolves...) but the thing that astounded me was some tried to do it again when he came over to take another less than 5 minutes later!!

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Mind boggling.

What I have been saying , we are too soft and too nice,

I spoke to him after the game, told him off for stealing all the points again. He laughed and nodded, certainly nothing bitter or malicious about him, I've met him loads of times and don't find him like that at all to our fans, much the opposite. He asked how we were, wished us a Happy Christmas. He had a lot of time for the fans, signing stuff and posing for photos. He had a long chat with Oskar and his Mum too which was nice.

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Mind boggling.

Ffs sake I clapped him . Am I a naughty boy ?

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

I spoke to him after the game, told him off for stealing all the points again. He laughed and nodded, certainly nothing bitter or malicious about him, I've met him loads of times and don't find him like that at all to our fans, much the opposite. He asked how we were, wished us a Happy Christmas. He had a lot of time for the fans, signing stuff and posing for photos. He had a long chat with Oskar and his Mum too which was nice.

Interesting balance, thanks. 

Normally little things like this don't bother me but for some reason it really wound me up. 

Suspect it's more to do with fans talking about sacking Johnson after a few bad results yet applauding a player who doesnt like us very much and delights in beating us!

Archived