IGNORED

Gary O'Neil

Londoner

I rate him hugely.  

Granted he hasn't maintained the quality of performances at the start of the season, but i think he is the only cm we have who can dominate a midfield...which sometimes he does.

I think he offers a lot more than both Smith and pack despite being in his 30s...I'm also a very surprised to see some posters not overly impressed with him.

I genuinely think he is a classy act....and still feel him and Bobby in a middle 2 is the way forward.

Really impressed with him.

On a slightly related note, when was the last time we had the right players to play a two man central midfield?

For years now we seem to have lacked the right players to do so. The last time I can remember it not being a problem was with Elliot and Johnson together.

On paper, Smith and Pack should match that, but it clearly doesn't work. O'Neill is a bit of everything, but he's neither an outright ball player nor an enforcer, whilst Reid doesn't fit the bill there either.

What do we need from midfielders in order to make it work?

35 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

On a slightly related note, when was the last time we had the right players to play a two man central midfield?

For years now we seem to have lacked the right players to do so. The last time I can remember it not being a problem was with Elliot and Johnson together.

On paper, Smith and Pack should match that, but it clearly doesn't work. O'Neill is a bit of everything, but he's neither an outright ball player nor an enforcer, whilst Reid doesn't fit the bill there either.

Elliott and Johnson together??

31 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I believe we need a more experienced ' enforcer ' type midfielder who can drive the team on .

GON  keeps the ball moving but lacks the speed necessary to worry the opposing defence .

He sort of slows everything down when in possession when Sometimes we need a quick , direct counter attack  .

Interesting the different views - here you rate Gary O'Neil but in a recent thread about Kalifa Cisse, you described Cisse as being "vastly overrated". I get the same feeling with O'Neil, he can't deliver a dead ball, way too slow when it comes to midfield distribution, and really offers nothing as a ball winner.

Personally I can't see anything he has offered above what we already had prior to his arrival, and if anything trying to fit him into the team has perhaps caused more disruption through not having players regularly playing together and anticipating positioning and forward runs etc.

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe we need a more experienced ' enforcer ' type midfielder who can drive the team on .

GON  keeps the ball moving but lacks the speed necessary to worry the opposing defence .

He sort of slows everything down when in possession when Sometimes we need a quick , direct counter attack  .

Steven Gerrard is available. Either that or we hire a mad scientist to fuse Smith and Reid into one player. Plus we'd end up with another player who can't tackle, pass, run or shoot, which is presumably where John Burns came from.

9 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

Doherty & Burnell?!! :ph34r:

I'd filed that memory away behind a locked door alongside the time Wilson put out a team containing 8 defenders.

I think we could do with a real 'destroyer'. Someone who's one and only job is to break up opposition attacks and leave the creativity to another. 

Trouble is all our CMs seem to want to jack of all trades and masters of none. None are out and out defensive midfielders and none are particularly good going forwards. 

Reid isn't a number ten for me unless he can dramatically improve his finishing, and getting a 'bruiser' in CM would allow him to be played a bit further back without fear of getting overrun in midfield. 

6 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Steven Gerrard is available. Either that or we hire a mad scientist to fuse Smith and Reid into one player. Plus we'd end up with another player who can't tackle, pass, run or shoot, which is presumably where John Burns came from.

I'd filed that memory away behind a locked door alongside the time Wilson put out a team containing 8 defenders.

Was that when Carey played CM?! 

8 hours ago, Londoner said:

I rate him hugely.  

Granted he hasn't maintained the quality of performances at the start of the season, but i think he is the only cm we have who can dominate a midfield...which sometimes he does.

I think he offers a lot more than both Smith and pack despite being in his 30s...I'm also a very surprised to see some posters not overly impressed with him.

I genuinely think he is a classy act....and still feel him and Bobby in a middle 2 is the way forward.

Really impressed with him.

I usually agree with most things you post...but imo, I don't think GoN has it anymore to be a quality Championship player.

A few of our team make him look good.

Way too slow, takes too long to distribute the ball, actually slows it down to a snails pace. Not physical enough, doesn't have presence both physically or verbally.

He does what a lot of experienced Pros do in this league when they know their limits...jog a lot, keeps moving and plays very simple balls when vision to create an opening is needed instead.

He's too one dimensional...all at the same pace. Gives a feeling of lethargy to the team that seems to spread.

Don't get me started on set pieces...his delivery is absolutely shocking for this level.

It's a position we need strengthening big time...both GoN and this seasons Smith are not good enough.

I'm sorry...but he deceives to look better than he is. Just my opinion...such is football ;-)

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I usually agree with most things you post...but imo, I don't think GoN has it anymore to be a quality Championship player.

Way too slow, takes too long to distribute the ball, actually slows it down to a snails pace. Not physical enough, doesn't have presence both physically or verbally.

He does what a lot of experienced Pros do in this league when they know their limits...jog a lot, keeps moving and plays very simple balls when vision to create an opening is needed instead.

He's too one dimensional...all at the same pace. Gives a feeling of lethargy to the team that seems to spread.

Don't get me started on set pieces...his delivery is absolutely shocking for this level.

It's a position we need strengthening big time...both GoN and this seasons Smith are not good enough.

I'm sorry...but he deceives to look better than he is. Just my opinion...such is football ;-)

You've just described Marlon Pack.

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on...he was a top player, the number of corners and free kicks that we were defending that he headed away was immeasurable....calm, assured, effective....great player

I never got the booing though, maybe if it was now and I am older wouldn't seem as bad 

I can remember he moved on to Coventry and played centre half in the prem or div 1 at time

I think I came the closest I`ve ever done to whacking another City fan away at Norwich in the cup. This idiot stood in front of me never stopped slagging DR off the whole game and I finally had enough. I don`t normally get punchy but my mates basically had to hold me back! It was the game we lost 2-1 with the winner going in off Robert Rosario`s arse late on when we thought we`d done enough for a replay. Think Wayne Allison scored for us but my memory`s not that good these days so could well be wrong.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Because they were stupid and didn't know what they were watching.

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think I came the closest I`ve ever done to whacking another City fan away at Norwich in the cup. This idiot stood in front of me never stopped slagging DR off the whole game and I finally had enough. I don`t normally get punchy but my mates basically had to hold me back! It was the game we lost 2-1 with the winner going in off Robert Rosario`s arse late on when we thought we`d done enough for a replay. Think Wayne Allison scored for us but my memory`s not that good these days so could well be wrong.

I remember that, also remember thinking that England cannot really be THAT wide as we drove for hour after hour to get to Norfolk...stopped just outside Norwich to ask a farmer the quickest way to Carrow Road...he asked 'are you walking or driving?'.....'Driving' I said.....'Yep, that's the quickest way' he replied......

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember that, also remember thinking that England cannot really be THAT wide as we drove for hour after hour to get to Norfolk...stopped just outside Norwich to ask a farmer the quickest way to Carrow Road...he asked 'are you walking or driving?'.....'Driving' I said.....'Yep, that's the quickest way' he replied......

I can't even tell you how much that made me laugh...I will definetly be using this in the future.

23 hours ago, spudski said:

Sorry Spud but disagree with you in large parts of this. 

In the Blackburn & Forest games I thought    he showed really physicality and looked to have been inspired by Sir Gerry Gows tribute before the Blackburn game , some superb hard ball winning challenges. He also passed the ball, mainly first time switching play with ease 

Not saying he's been on top form every game , I havnt seen them and try and get a balanced impression from those were there 

I actually think the problem is confusion over tactics and roles and the players around him , more so than GON himself 

Im sure you will accept he would have been brought here to play a specific role and add his experience and know how

Not so sure he's not as confused as many supporters with constant changes and tinkering with players asked to play different roles

Think he'd look far far better in a settled side with a primary formation where he , and others knew their roles and responsibilities 

Hes never going to be a headliner - his strengths are his tackling and ability to keep the ball moving - You don't suddenly become carp overnight , and he's never relied on pace

Totally agree re set pieces though !! ;)

Just my thoughts

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sorry Spud but disagree with you in large parts of this. 

In the Blackburn & Forest games I thought    he showed really physicality and looked to have been inspired by Sir Gerry Gows tribute before the Blackburn game , some superb hard ball winning challenges. He also passed the ball, mainly first time switching play with ease 

Not saying he's been on top form every game , I havnt seen them and try and get a balanced impression from those were there 

I actually think the problem is confusion over tactics and roles and the players around him , more so than GON himself 

Im sure you will accept he would have been brought here to play a specific role and add his experience and know how

Not so sure he's not as confused as many supporters with constant changes and tinkering with players asked to play different roles

Think he'd look far far better in a settled side with a primary formation where he , and others knew their roles and responsibilities 

Hes never going to be a headliner - his strengths are his tackling and ability to keep the ball moving - You don't suddenly become carp overnight , and he's never relied on pace

Totally agree re set pieces though !! ;)

Just my thoughts

I agree with the points you make fella...he has had a couple decent games, generally against teams of a poor standard.

But we need someone in that position who's going to be playing well on a constant level, not just occasionally.

Having a fall out with LJ recently probably hasn't helped...but regardless of that, I stand by what I've said from watching him this season.

I get the impression LJ maybe starting to think the same as well....I thought it was a bit odd to mention Cisse out of the blue when he did, but it makes sense now.

We really don't have any physical presence in midfield. When I look at GoN, Tomlin, Reid, Bryan, Freeman, Smith or Pack in the same side, I don't see the physicality we need...especially in the DM role.

Like Wilbs, I think GoN has something to offer...especially experience...but I don't see him as the player we need, as a Midfield general to win games on a more consistent basis this season. Pack is still learning at this level...Korey is having a poor season by his standards, granted he's been injured....so between the three of them I just don't see us holding our own in the DM position.

Respect your opinion though ;-)

On 21/12/2016 at 22:50, spudski said:

This.

On 22/12/2016 at 20:44, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on...he was a top player, the number of corners and free kicks that we were defending that he headed away was immeasurable....calm, assured, effective....great player

I remember his penalty at the open end.........when he cleared the ground into the back gardens of the houses!:grr:

Archived