IGNORED

Lowlights now up...

cityexile

For their second for me it looks like Reid (only other person I could see near the player in the clip) hasn't tracked the goal scorer, Matthews has done the right thing by being being back post incase a cross comes in to clear. But someone has to track the guy who scored, whether that's Freeman out of frame or Reid who looks about 5 yards away from him.

25 minutes ago, cityexile said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/10708559/wolves-3-2-bristol-city

Not that it matters now,  but ball to arm to me for the penalty, but a bizarre reaction by Flint. Just play on!

His arms are up, that's a pen for me, but as you say he might as well have blown the whistle himself with that reaction.

Questions over Fielding for their equaliser too - looked far too easy to be beaten at his near post from the clip.

10 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

His arms are up, that's a pen for me, but as you say he might as well have blown the whistle himself with that reaction.

Questions over Fielding for their equaliser too - looked far too easy to be beaten at his near post from the clip.

A maybe. Come at him from very close, but just the most unlikely reaction. 

Ho hum. Want to say, it is the kind of luck you get when you need a result!

43 minutes ago, hodge said:

For their second for me it looks like Reid (only other person I could see near the player in the clip) hasn't tracked the goal scorer, Matthews has done the right thing by being being back post incase a cross comes in to clear. But someone has to track the guy who scored, whether that's Freeman out of frame or Reid who looks about 5 yards away from him.

I guess it's about opinions, but I thought Matthew's positioning was garbage for the equaliser - he's covering no one.

But end of the day; once again beaten by balls too easily coming in from the flanks and set pieces - I'd have us sign two new full back if we could.

Absolute madness from Flint. His arms are up, which doesn't help, but at that range it's still ball to hand and the referee has a decision to make. But the reaction makes it a no-brainer. The referee didn't even blow his whistle until after his reaction. It's also ridiculous to stop playing with the ball still live. Not impressed frankly.

1 hour ago, samo II said:

I guess it's about opinions, but I thought Matthew's positioning was garbage for the equaliser - he's covering no one.

But end of the day; once again beaten by balls too easily coming in from the flanks and set pieces - I'd have us sign two new full back if we could.

Yep very much about differing opinions, valid about Matthews not covering anyone, however if that cross is over hit across the 6 yard box I'd rather see Matthews roughly where he is and able to deal with it, rather than it going in behind him being a bit further up and someone potentially getting on the end of it at the back edge of the 6 yard box.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Yep very much about differing opinions, valid about Matthews not covering anyone, however if that cross is over hit across the 6 yard box I'd rather see Matthews roughly where he is and able to deal with it, rather than it going in behind him being a bit further up and someone potentially getting on the end of it at the back edge of the 6 yard box.

Yeah, I can see that too TBF.

Ultimately; beaten by three genuinely soft goals today - massively disappointing, and indicates for me a massive confidence problem within the side.  Flint's reaction speaks volumes about how the side is feeling just now I think.

Confidence is low & on the evidence of the replays our luck is out both for the penalty against Flint & the Pack header that isn't given at the end. Plus we keep losing to teams that then overtake us in the league. That said not helped by a constantly changing line up.

We need a bit of luck but we also need the players to "man up" a bit. It's time for "some backs to the wall" / "lives depend on it" displays. Fight the luck, the refereeing decisions; be better than the things going against us, prove that you want victories & success as much as we the fans want it.

Ipswich on Friday is a huge game. Their form is almost as bad as ours & man for man they are probably worse. Need at least a draw to stop the rot although a win would be so much better...

If I were LJ I'd be seething at Matthews...absolutely awful defending from an experienced campaigner.

Plus how many times, in recent games, have we seen crosses come in from the right and goals being scored.

Our defending at the moment, is way too narrow.

We need to stop crosses coming in...we don't...and following in a player or marking the correct player, as in Matthews case, needs addressing fast.

I'd say our biggest weakness right now, is the left and right defensive areas and a DM general missing...other than that, we make good scoring opportunities.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

If I were LJ I'd be seething at Matthews...absolutely awful defending from an experienced campaigner.

Plus how many times, in recent games, have we seen crosses come in from the right and goals being scored.

We need to stop crosses coming in...we don't...and following in a player or marking the correct player, as in Matthews case, needs addressing fast.

I'd say our biggest weakness right now, is the left and right defensive areas and a DM general missing...other than that, we make good scoring opportunities.

So.....orr Bell and Cisse would solve our problems  right?  ;)

6 hours ago, spudski said:

The problem is the defence is getting little or no help from the midfield and consequently eventually the pressure tells.

After Wolves first goal Fielding had to make a great save because Freeman never got within 2/3 metres of the guy that crossed the ball, he looked like a ballet dancer flouncing around and for their 2nd and 3rd goals take a look at the positions that our ambling midfield took up, only Brownhill for the 3rd goal even attempted a block, Reid did nothing.

Also take a really good look at most of the goals we have conceded so far this season and far too many are a direct result of our midfield deficiencies, missing simple tackles, not being strong enough, failing to pick up runners, misplaced simple passes, misplaced hollywood passes, trying to be cocky in dangerous areas, backing off and then backing off some more, not being close enough to the person they are supposed to be marking and then to compound it even more committing fouls in dangerous positions trying to rectify their mistakes, oh yes and our holding midfielder being caught out in front of the central midfielders when moves breakdown and either not making sure somebody has dropped in for him or the person not doing as directed.

Matthews part in the 2nd goal was poor but a seasoned pro once told to me "before a defender/goalkeeper makes his poor mistake, the ball has been manoeuvred through missed tackles, missed runners and missed opportunities to put the ball into row Z, but most fans only ever see/remember the last mistake".

I think our midfield at times are a shambles, almost certainly not fit for purpose and brittle and lack any leaders whatsoever.

As I say take a good look at goals conceded this season and ask yourself on many of them what was our midfield actually doing.

PS:- I would like to add one thing you say Matthews is an experienced campaigner, a couple of weeks you said Jamie Patterson was one for the future, they are pretty much the same age (Patterson is 1 month older) and both have played the same amount of games.

13 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The problem is the defence is getting little or no help from the midfield and consequently eventually the pressure tells.

After Wolves first goal Fielding had to make a great save because Freeman never got within 2/3 metres of the guy that crossed the ball, he looked like a ballet dancer flouncing around and for their 2nd and 3rd goals take a look at the positions that our ambling midfield took up, only Brownhill for the 3rd goal even attempted a block, Reid did nothing.

Also take a really good look at most of the goals we have conceded so far this season and far too many are a direct result of our midfield deficiencies, missing simple tackles, not being strong enough, failing to pick up runners, misplaced simple passes, misplaced hollywood passes, trying to be cocky in dangerous areas, backing off and then backing off some more, not being close enough to the person they are supposed to be marking and then to compound it even more committing fouls in dangerous positions trying to rectify their mistakes, oh yes and our holding midfielder being caught out in front of the central midfielders when moves breakdown and either not making sure somebody has dropped in for him or the person not doing as directed.

Matthews part in the 2nd goal was poor but a seasoned pro once told to me "before a defender/goalkeeper makes his poor mistake, the ball has been manoeuvred through missed tackles, missed runners and missed opportunities to put the ball into row Z, but most fans only ever see/remember the last mistake".

I think our midfield at times are a shambles, almost certainly not fit for purpose and brittle and lack any leaders whatsoever.

As I say take a good look at goals conceded this season and ask yourself on many of them what was our midfield actually doing.

PS:- I would like to add one thing you say Matthews is an experienced campaigner, a couple of weeks you said Jamie Patterson was one for the future, they are pretty much the same age (Patterson is 1 month older) and both have played the same amount of games.

Totally agree EMB...our defensive duties from midfield are very lacklustre way too often...almost a lack of desire. And you are correct...the goals often come from an error further up the field. However...the way Matthews lost his man and often gave up shows to me a lack of motivation and desire. It's not one of a man fighting for this club.

As for the point re 'Experience'...Matthews has had way more experience at a higher level than Patterson, and imo, Patterson has been brought to fit in with a style of play that LJ wishes to develop in the very near future...a high pressing game, with pace. He's not using it right now as we don't have all the parts in place for it to work properly.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

style of play that LJ wishes to develop in the very near future...a high pressing game, with pace. He's not using it right now as we don't have all the parts in place for it to work properly.

Ah, that would explain why he's using our low pressing game with no pace. 

8 hours ago, spudski said:

Totally agree EMB...our defensive duties from midfield are very lacklustre way too often...almost a lack of desire. And you are correct...the goals often come from an error further up the field. However...the way Matthews lost his man and often gave up shows to me a lack of motivation and desire. It's not one of a man fighting for this club.

As for the point re 'Experience'...Matthews has had way more experience at a higher level than Patterson, and imo, Patterson has been brought to fit in with a style of play that LJ wishes to develop in the very near future...a high pressing game, with pace. He's not using it right now as we don't have all the parts in place for it to work properly.

The experience thing is marginal IMO but I get your drift.

As for Matthews, I would venture judging by the lack of professionalism already displayed in his short BCFC career, I say twas the day after Christmas day..................................................

You can fill the rest in.

Archived