IGNORED

Simple Question For The LJ Haters

Sepp Blatter

3 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

No doubt Rowett would be the obvious to some, I've heard Pardew mentioned as well... cloud cuckoo land is what i'd say, neither would come here when they probably will get the opportunity to manage bigger and better clubs

If you look at who could be looking for managers in the next six months 

Norwich

Swansea

Sunderland

i can't see anyone else at the moment. They'd arguably all appoint Pardew and all not appoint Rowett.

I fail to see how Rowett is unrealistic. 

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Just the majority of the people I've seen have been saying Rowett and its an easy answer, but if he wouldn't want to come who would people want to see.

See my post above.  Those teams wouldn't go for Rowett.  Don't see why he wouldn't come here. 

Will have a think about others though.   I would give Johnson more time though. Players playing for him 

15 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'd add a secondary point to this, if you say Rowett who's your second choice?

People wanted Nigel Pearson a year ago.  Surely the fickle ones haven't changed their mind again?!

Other names that would be talked about I'm sure are Graham Alexander and Chris Wilder

Your question does raise a good point.  I would keep Johnson.  If we sacked him I'd want Rowett and if we couldn't get him then Wilder.  

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If you look at who could be looking for managers in the next six months 

Norwich

Swansea

Sunderland

i can't see anyone else at the moment. They'd arguably all appoint Pardew and all not appoint Rowett.

I fail to see how Rowett is unrealistic. 

Rowett's sacking in itself was unexpected so 'I can't see anyone else at the moment' doesn't really stand as any mid table championship side could want him and potentially be more appealing then us. However I do think Norwich could easily target someone like Rowett, they won't necessarily go for a name.

For the sake of it, I don't want Johnson sacked, however if the club should sack him Rowett first choice, Nigel Adkins second choice, kinda highlights the lack of options out there. We went for an upcoming guy in a lower division in Johnson.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Rowett's sacking in itself was unexpected so 'I can't see anyone else at the moment' doesn't really stand as any mid table championship side could want him and potentially be more appealing then us. However I do think Norwich could easily target someone like Rowett, they won't necessarily go for a name.

For the sake of it, I don't want Johnson sacked, however if the club should sack him Rowett first choice, Nigel Adkins second choice, kinda highlights the lack of options out there. We went for an upcoming guy in a lower division in Johnson.

I agree that Norwich could appoint Rowett.  Also understand point of other clubs unexpectedly sacking managers, hoŵever teams are either doing well at the moment (for their expectations) or have recently appointed a new manager.

Your negativity about appointing an upcoming guy because Johnson isn't currently working is irrelevant to me.  If Johnson doesn't work it doesn't mean another lower  league upcoming manger wouldn't.  Rowett was just that until recently.  

Obviously the other option is to go abroad and appoint a foreigner.  Hard to know who would take it though so probably a pointless avenue for discussion. 

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Obviously the other option is to go abroad and appoint a foreigner.  Hard to know who would take it though so probably a pointless avenue for discussion. 

The former assistant managers seem to be the ones to move to the championship, Wagner, Karanka and Clement to name a few. Could be an interesting avenue to look down whenever our next managerial appointment would be. 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

The former assistant managers seem to be the ones to move to the championship, Wagner, Karanka and Clement to name a few. Could be an interesting avenue to look down whenever our next managerial appointment would be. 

Completely agree. The only manager we haven't had in recent years is one from overseas.  Not against that at all.  Jaap Stam is another example to add to your list. 

Some sensible names mentioned already? Alexander, Rowett, Pardew, Wilder, Atkins...

there are others: Justin Edinburgh, Neil Ardley, Keith Curle..... Cotterill...... 

who knows who else and who might be abroad..... though we've gone a bit jobs for he boys again so it's probably Jamie McAllister's turn!!!!

3 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Plenty of good managers out there. Unfortunately this board have no clue how to appoint one. 

Whereas we're all experts?

McInnes: forum consensus positive, FAILED

O'Driscoll: forum consensus positive, FAILED

Cotterill: forum consensus negative, SUCCEEDED.

...so if we were the board, we'd have got it wrong too. And unfortunately for a mid table club in the second tier with no recent history of success beyond this level, we don't just get to cherry pick the best talent.

No manager regardless of reputation or previous achievements comes with any guarantee of success. Far too simplistic to say we just need to appoint a "good" manager and it's all the board's fault.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Whereas we're all experts?

McInnes: forum consensus positive, FAILED

O'Driscoll: forum consensus positive, FAILED

Cotterill: forum consensus negative, SUCCEEDED.

...so if we were the board, we'd have got it wrong too. And unfortunately for a mid table club in the second tier with no recent history of success beyond this level, we don't just get to cherry pick the best talent.

No manager regardless of reputation or previous achievements comes with any guarantee of success. Far too simplistic to say we just need to appoint a "good" manager and it's all the board's fault.

I wouldn't have got it wrong. My view was always the other way around on all three. 

In my experience this club has always done better playing positive attacking football not over-analysed, technical "modern" football. 

In 30+ years the successful managers have been similar Cooper, Johnson snr, Cotterill and to some extent Ward and Jordan. 

When we've gone "technical" Lennartson, McInnes, SOD....  who all talked a good game..... well you know how it ended up.

For whatever reason certain people fit certain clubs.

Johnson snr positive attacking football? Did I miss where out best season relied on us having a solid defence and goal difference of one? The lowest amount of goals scored of all play off teams and apart from wolves in 7th with one less goal the next team below us to score less was Preston in 15th.

I still think it's short-sighted to solely blame LJ and certainly I'm not considering him being sacked yet. We're 7 points clear and the club need to back him in January after selling our best player two days before the summer deadline, he's been dealt a difficult hand.

I know Rowett did a good job at Burton and Birmingham, but I watched Birmingham a few times whilst he was there and they were dire every time. Might be pure coincidence but that didn't really leave a good impression on me. I'm sure he's a good manager but not as good as others make out.

I think we're best off backing Lee for now and hoping he can make it work. We've seen a lot worse in recent years and sacking the manager has not worked before. The board just need to back them a bit more or just have a better strategy in general. Millen, McInnes, SOD and Cotterill were all let down when it came to signings, and Lee lost his best player two days before the deadline without a ready replacement. They all had their failings but they weren't exactly given an easy job at times either. The Bristol City job is a bit of a nightmare and nobody has been able to do well in it post 2010, except SC. But that only lasted one full season before he fell out with the board over transfer dealings and was left with an inept squad.

8 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Or how about we stick with a coach that's highly rated within the game who has already stated the timeframe it will take to sort things out.

I am not a 'hater ' or a ' get rid now' but highly rated in the game by who exactly? 

Easy words from Mr Ashton when LJ was appointed but I can't recall his name truly in the frame for bigger jobs than he had in both his previous roles and now here.

There was also talk,again by Mr Ashton, of interest from PL clubs when he was appointed, really? who? 

Lets move on to the ' three windows ' point, so we have had one and that was hardly a raging success.We are about to enter another and unless we are targeting lower league players, which would not make any sense just now given what is happening, who is going to be interested in joining a club dropping down the table towards a potential relegation battle with a manager, sorry...' Head Coach' who currently appears clueless in arresting the fall.

The best we are likely to get this window are loans from the PL who are not currently getting a game or players from abroad that could take a bit of time to settle. Come the summer the loans will have gone and in essence we would be no further forward with only one of the three ' windows' to go.

Forget that it's Bristol City for a moment, any manager on the run that we are on in any professional league would be feeling the heat, it's part of the job and whether we agree with it or not, the clock is ticking.

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

The deluded fans that think Alan pardew would come here are the same deluded fans that think we should be in the top 6 pushing for promtion. 

Got more chance of getting Alan partridge than Alan pardew!

I've barely seen anyone think we should go after Pardew.  Rowett and Wilder are the clear two stand out candidates from U.K.  

8 hours ago, Sepp Blatter said:

To be honest I'm on the fence at the moment, but, this is for the fans that want LJ sacked. 

Who would you hire as manager? Serious question. 

He would not have been my first choice.

I don't think SL liked getting rid of GJ and by hiring Lee knew that there would be some tactical discussions with Dad. Plus, uncle Pete had an eye for a player so I expect there was some help there too.

An indirect route back to GJ where we almost reached the promised land. 

16 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

He would not have been my first choice.

I don't think SL liked getting rid of GJ and by hiring Lee knew that there would be some tactical discussions with Dad. Plus, uncle Pete had an eye for a player so I expect there was some help there too.

An indirect route back to GJ where we almost reached the promised land. 

This is laughable!! To suggest that GJ or PJ still have an impact on our club today is a joke. Leave the Xmas cherry alone , clearly gone to your head.

Archived